PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant and Agoraphobic

anxiousalice
15-12-10, 09:16
Hi guys,

Wow, what a site!

I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant and house bound, (argh!) Alhough I have dealt with a certain level of anxiety throughout my life thus far, (since being diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder at 15), my anxiety has never gotten so bad that it has turned me into a housebound couch potato!

I'm really feeling at a loss at the moment, feeling sorry for myself on a daily basis, staring out at my car, wishing it was easy to just get in and get going! Since I stopped working (about 5 months ago, they fired me grrr!) I have found that going out has become harder and harder. It started off with me not feeling comfortable on the busier roads and has since then, turned into this overwhelming fear of being almost anywhere outside of my home. The local shops are now frightening, let alone anywhere else. I still have the strength and courage to go for small walks with the dog, and even take her to the local park, but other than that, my anxiety has me feeling bolted to my couch with anxiety. I never thought I would let it get this bad, but I have... Tsk tsk

I am wondering if I am extra bad atm due to being pregnant. There are lots of things about being pregnant that make me feel uneasy. a - I feel like I can't breathe too well and am short of breath a lot because of bubs position on my organs. b - I feel faint a lot because of a lowered bp relating to the pregnancy. c - I feel like if I want to run away atm, I can't as my big preggers belly stops me from being too fast to bolt anywhere. d - I get leg cramps that freeze up my legs so I feel that if I go to the shops they might freeze and trap me in one place (god that sounds ridiculous!)

Just wanting to meet any mums who have experienced this with their pregnancy? Did the agoraphobia go away after you gave birth to bub? I feel quite confident that once I do get my slim bod back, I will feel more mobile and comfortable with going out. I just feel like a silly whale atm lol!

Nice to meet you all!

nomorepanic
15-12-10, 09:18
Hi anxiousalice

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

paula lynne
15-12-10, 10:50
Hi Alice, welcome to the forum. Lots of people here have suffered Agoraphobia, and I think there are definately a couple pregnant at the moment who have anxiety and mild agoraphobic issues, cant remember names at the mo......maybe do a search for "agoraphobia/anxiety and pregnancy" or similar? Mine didnt start til my baby was 4 monthes, but my daughters anxiety and agoraphobia dissapeared after her daughter was born!. Nice to meet you, good luck x:welcome:

Vanilla Sky
15-12-10, 11:45
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

paulst
15-12-10, 12:22
Hi Alice, welcome to NMP.:)

JJ121
15-12-10, 13:04
Hi there Alice,

Aaw, bless, I really feel for you and relate to what your going through, as i had a horrible pregnancy (my daughters almost 18 now n so therefore i survived it!). I had previous OCD in my teens, and a pretty stressful early pregnancy (bad relationship, health scares etc), and then had a fainting episode whilst out with friends and the rest of my pregnancy i was pretty much in the same boat you are...
In answer to your question, YES! I did get better after baby was born, despite my fears of not coping with the labour, hospital etc, it all went smoothly, but during pregnancy i pretty much became a hermit and was too scared to visit friends, supermarkets etc etc.
My advice for you, is talk to midwife, GP etc, explain what your going through, get as much support from them, friends & family etc. I have read since, that some women, due to hormones etc can experience anxiety through pregnancy, and know of other mums who's panic attacks started at that time...I didnt get the support i needed at the time really (except for a private room in hospital & informing them of my 'issues', as it was i got there half an hour before she was born LOL), other advice would be to seek some 'hypno-birthing' classes in your area, they can teach you relaxation exercises to help during labour and NOW!
After baby comes, be gentle with yourself, seek continued support, which i did not, which is why i still have issues now! Push your GP for all the help you need, you are entitled to it!!
Best of luck, hope this has helped, i can totally relate xx ps. despite her neurotic mum, during & after pregnancy, my daughter is the calmest, most level headed girl :))