PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and anxiety

Sammylou
15-12-10, 09:24
Hi, I was just wondering how many of you smoke, I have been told that it increases anxiety loads and I want to stop but am finding it hard! everytime im stressed i think i'll have a fag and it will calm me down when actually I feel worse. I would really like some advice on this one and hear peoples experiences.

jen1983
15-12-10, 09:29
Hi there

Just to let you know that this is my 10th week of not smoking i stopped as soon as i got ill as it just made me feel worse.... everytime i wanted one i just thought of the anxiety heightened and it made me not want one anymore..... you can do it!!! xxx

Sammylou
15-12-10, 09:51
Hi Jen, are you feeling better for doing it and how is your anxiety now compared to when you smoked x

jen1983
15-12-10, 10:15
So much better hun it really is

heavenly
15-12-10, 10:48
I have smoked on and off for the past 20 years, then the first day I got a panic attack (4 months ago), I stopped smoking. I knew it was a stimulant and that was the last thing I needed. The money saved has paid for my counselling each week. I miss it occasionally but am so glad I gave up.

Sammylou
15-12-10, 11:31
well done for giving it up, im really going to try now, i just want to feel better! thankyou for your comments x

heavenly
15-12-10, 13:29
well done for giving it up, im really going to try now, i just want to feel better! thankyou for your comments x

Good luck to you hun. xx

Hazel B
15-12-10, 19:32
Sammylou, I smoked 4-6 a day for over 20 years. I like smoking and never tried to stop before. This year, I lost a beloved Uncle to lung cancer and then got anxiety with a health issue of my own. The combination made me realise that there is no single good reason to smoke, so I stopped. No patches, gum or fake fags, just willpower and a desire to help my body. The patches and gum just rip you off, they cost the same as fags and continue the addiction.

I haven't smoked since May, if there were fags that didn't damage your lungs etc I would go back like a shot, but that's not reality. My GP told me that nicotine can make anxiety worse so I'm glad I stopped. My anxiety was so bad that I was despearte to get well and help myself, I've also given up caffeine which was bloody difficult!

Good luck!