PDA

View Full Version : Had sigmoidoscopy still bleeding

stevemc5267
15-12-10, 09:54
Hello all, I've had a change in my Bowel movements over the last 6 months and bleeding, eventually I built up courage to go to the doctors as obviously this wasn't going to go away on its own.

My symptoms are as follows; I go regular every morning without fail and my first movement is a solid stool then anywhere between 15-30mins later I have desperately got to go again and this stool is then loose. I occasionally bleed say once a week and this is usually light blood on the tissue, however I have had the odd occasion lately where the blood has been heavy and within the bowl. My weight has been fine and generally I feel my health is ok apart from the above.

On visiting my Doctor he referred me to have a colonoscopy which I had yesterday, the results where fine with no cancers/piles/lumps or growths found and the endoscopist said that I had some spasms which sometimes was normal. However when I returned home and read the literature which was given to me afterwards it appears that I had a Sigmoidoscopy and not a Colonoscopy as the leaflet has Colonoscopy crossed out and Signoidoscopy ticked (although the procedure was very painful at times), I now realise that the Sigmoidoscopy only investigates the lower Colon and my worry is if everything was fine then why do I bleed and sometimes heavy. I actually asked the nurse not the endoscopist afterwards as I was still coming down off the gas & air as to why do I bleed and she said it may have been a Haemorrhoid, I thought surely this investigation would have found any Haemorrhoid if this was the case.

I’m confused and worry about the bleeding, is this normal. I am 43, healthy weight, smoker and occasionally light drinker. I belive I have a good diet with dailey fruit and veg although the Endoscopist suggested I may need to have more water in my diet.

Can anyone advice and reassure me.

Thanks

Steve

baileys
15-12-10, 10:20
I can understand what you are saying Steve, you havent really been given a reason for the bleeding.
If i were you i would go and ask your doc, he should have yours notes from the hospital and im sure he will be able to put your mind at rest.
Maybe they did find haemorrhoids but the nurse wasnt in a position to tell you this.
If they are not investigating further then they must be satisfied with what they did or didnt find.
See if your doc can give you some answers.

stevemc5267
15-12-10, 14:17
Baileys,

Thanks, I have today booked an appointment for the 29th December with my GP.

Once again thanks

eo
22-01-11, 21:42
Hello Steve,

Hope you are feeling much better. Is the problem still on with the bleeding? What did the doc say? Do you have to have more tests done?

Em