PDA

View Full Version : Advice please. Had enough!

noangel1981
15-12-10, 10:27
Hi guys, I'm after some advice as my doctor dosent seem to be helping or listening to me.

I was on mirtazapine for quite a while but decided to change my meds to fluoxetine because I was fed up with not having any energy, weight increase and over sleeping all the time. I started tapering the mirtazapine down from 30 to 15mg for 3 weeks then the doctor told me to just stop taking the mirtazapine and start on the fluoxetine. I did this and have been on the fluoxetine for 9 days and it has been pure hell. I've have been so ill since starting it and have lost weight. I can't sleep at night and feel sick with a bad stomach On and off. I've been getting anxiety so badly that my boyfriend has to hold me and convince me I am not dying. I keep having panic attacks on and off all day every day. Things are really getting worse. Last night we had to call the on call doctor as I woke up gasping for breath, all my muscles were ridgid and tensed like I couldn't control them and my chest muscle felt tense and I could hardly breath. I got up to go to the toilet and couldn't actually walk properly. I've never been so frightened and convinced I'm going to die. Yesterday on the way to college I nearly fainted on the train and had to get my boyfriend to come and pick me up. Does anyone have any advice for me? What could be wrong? Is it because I am having a mirtazapine withdrawal? And the side effects of the Prozac as well? I've decided I'm not taking anymore prozac as of today but will go back on the mirtazapine. Will this create more problems going back to them? Like will I know withdraw from the Prozac? I've only been on them 8 days. The doc said I can just stop the Prozac and start the mirtazapine again. Is this safe? I really need advice as the docs are not listening to how ill I am and scared. I'm at the end of my tether. The doc gave me diazipam for the symptoms but I'm scared to take it. Help please someone!

JaneC
15-12-10, 11:28
Hi there, sorry your having such a bad time :hugs:. Last year I came straight off another AD, no tapering (on doctor's instructions) and on to fluoxetine. After a few days I felt terrible and had no idea whether it was withdrawal or side effects from the latter. I tried cutting the fluoxetine dose to no avail. After a week of hell, I stopped the fluox and went back on the old AD. Within a few hours I felt normal. I then came off the old AD much more slowly and then successfully went on to fluox.

So, in my experience, you doc is right. Stop the fluox, go back on the mirt and you should be fine. Hope this helps x