PDA

View Full Version : Balance and vertigo problems and anxiety

Tero
15-12-10, 23:42
If you are afraid to fly, drive etc. and the feeling is that you are not in control, you may not be!

The inner ear controls more than balance, it works with your brain when you are in motion. The disorders are related to this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinthitis
http://forums.webmd.com/.eeeabbe

I am going to see my doctor in early Jan and will insist that the inner ear be examined as well.

I do not have trouble with balance with walking, but I can sort of see something odd there as well. My balance is not what it was 6 months ago.

Inner ear problems may be permanent or may be infections.

I did have symptoms of anxiety in my 20s, more like generalized anxiety for some months, so I do not think this is all there is to it. But it adds to panic symptoms.

gaaron
16-12-10, 00:09
Hi Tero, What do you rationally think it is?

Tero
16-12-10, 00:15
I think it is part of the same control issue we have with most things. If inner ear problems interfere with your motions, driving etc., your brain tells you are not in control. Adreline goes up, you panic. So I think you need both anxiety and the inner ear proble, the inner ear problem alone will not lead to panic.

gaaron
16-12-10, 00:24
Hi, yes. I have had 'inner ear' probs, and I do have anxiety when driving in certain situations. I found when I had the ear prob it affected walking etc. But my driving prob is due to anxiety which luckily I can deal with in my own way. I hope you don't take offence in me replying.

Tero
16-12-10, 00:26
So you are driving these days? How fast?

My driving problems deal with motion, I do not mind being stuck in slow traffic for instance. I do not have the I want out of here reaction when slow or not moving.

gaaron
16-12-10, 00:35
I'm driving because if I don't I can't get to shops etc. It's when I'm on motorways (highways?) and dual carriageways- and yuck - bridges!! I feel as if I'm not in control and something is going to happen either by me or someone else.
I don't usually write how I feel, as when I do I begin to 'live' it - hence my short replies.
How does it affect you?

Tero
16-12-10, 00:43
I have the panic attacks on the motorways. If I drive 5 miles, it may not come, but 20 miles, for sure at least once. I need to be in the middle lane for real panic. If I am in the lane that can exit anytime, not so bad. Except the rush hour traffic is bad. So the general anxiety level is up just due to bad traffic. Sunday morning I could manage 10 miles. City streets I have to deal with daily. I enjoy red lights, a rest!

gaaron
16-12-10, 00:52
Love red lights! - Not in USA tho' - you can actually turn (can't remember which direction) when it's clear there!! Don't do that in England.
Does it happen when you're on your own or when you're driving others?

Tero
16-12-10, 01:09
I do not have any problem with just sitting in the car, unless it is night and really terrible weather, I trust the other driver. I rarely drive with someone else as passenger, I make them drive. This is just the last two months, I was able to drive about 3 hours on the motorway till then, passengers or not on board.

The rather sudden problem would point to something physical adding to my situation.

gaaron
16-12-10, 01:16
OK, yep we can suddenly feel that way. Because I've always driven (accept for maybe a few months, 15 yrs ago) and I don't have anyone to drive me - I don't know if I could trust anyone. So....I don't know

Tero
16-12-10, 01:28
My wife used to suggest these long trips, like over 12 h driving, I have pretty much cancelled them except maybe in summer. I am currently no help driving, but we have a 19 year old who sometimes is along.

But my driving alone is 15 000 miles a year.

gaaron
16-12-10, 01:34
Only you know best. The only times I've done 12hr driving is abroad with a boyfriend who doesn't know how to drive - telling me it's easy! My children aren't insured to drive my car....

Tero
16-12-10, 01:40
Well, they could learn.

I told my kids to take the car keys away from me when I am old enough, that is too old to drive. I thought 70, but it might be at 60 at this rate.

gaaron
16-12-10, 01:45
My daughter does drive and I gave her some money to buy a car - she bought a house......It could be nice to be 'looked after' but no, no! - as in taking freedom away!-even tho' it's scary

Tero
16-12-10, 01:53
I gotta go do chores, nobody is home. Here is one more article on the inner ear. Take care.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Anxiety-Panic-Attacks-Caused-by-Malfunction-in-the-Inner-Ear---Motion-and-Visual-Related-Phobias!&id=2211974

Tero
16-12-10, 22:46
Not quite sure how to examine the issue related to balance. As I only have strange sensations of speed and so on driving, and it comes and goes by the situation...less car less panic...it may not be balance in my case, not to a great extent.

But I did order the guys book for 3 dollars used.

Tero
08-01-11, 16:35
Back to this topic. I have been on vacation 2 weeks, so no driving. Air travel was OK, no dizzyness of anxiety. So it seems to be when I am at the wheel. I still need to get balance issues checked out, as I do not sense speed well past the low stop and go speed. At 70 mph I am OK as passenger, so it is not like I get car sick. But I have to look out the window the whole trip.

BasilCat
08-01-11, 19:31
Hi there, I have suffered with balance, vertigo and anxiety too. Infact I know my anxiety is returning when my balance starts going and it its one of my worst anxiety symptoms, that and unreality!
But yes I have had a lot of vertigo over the years too. One of the worst places I get it is in bed and I have been told that its actually known as benign paroxyml positional vertigo and its about the postition of the crystals in my inner ear and them being in the wrong place. I woke up extremely dizzy one saturday morning about three years ago and thought I was having a stroke, It was so bad and I was absolutely terrified I can tell you! The sensation must have only lasted 30 seconds but it felt more like 30 years! It was awful. I have had it since then but mostly not as bad. It was bad about 3 months ago when I was sat in the armchair looking down at my mobile phone. The terrible dizziness came right out of the blue! So I am very careful these days how I position my head!
Another place I get bad dizziness is in a plane when it is taking off!! No sooner has the plane left the runway than I am really dizzy and disorientated and my balance is gone! Its an inner problem I think and it really puts me off flying although I am in the UK and have been to America three times and the caribbean.
Re driving, I had panic attacks in the car when I had my last breakdown in 2006 (My 4th in 30 years!!) and was unable to drive at all for the best part of a year. As I told friends and family, I was not scared of driving, I was scared of having more panic/anxiety attacks whilst driving. My mum lives 60 miles away from me and for 3 years I could not drive to see her but I put in a lot of effort and now I am back to driving normally. At one point I did not think I would ever be able to drive again. But I am happy to say that I have proved myself wrong. I had to do it one step at a time though and start at the beginning again with tiny distances and slowly build myself up to driving further and further. I am fine now though.
I just wish I could get rid of the positional vertigo though because every night I get into bed I am scared in case it comes back really bad again. I can feel it kicking in whilst I sit here typing but it stops when I move position.

BasilCat

Tero
08-01-11, 21:39
Sounds familiar. Though my balance is mostly OK, walkin etc., I have had to rely mostly on visual cues driving, and at times even that was a bit off from normal, especially at night.

Thanks and take care!

Rob1970
09-01-11, 20:30