PDA

View Full Version : Feel like an outcast

iwillgetbetter
16-12-10, 10:04
Since I left school I have not had many friends which has not bothered me too much (I was fairly popular at school). For some reason at university I didn't make many friends and my social anxiety issues started (am not sure which came first). However, my daughter started school in September this year and it has made me realise how different I am from everyone. Many of the other Mums walk to school together and stand around chatting. It seems like they have known each other for years. In the beginning I got chatting to some of them but things have never gone anywhere. I had been hoping that I would make a few friends through the school but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I just wish I knew why I seem to be destined to be a loner-should I just accept that is how things are? :weep:

looking4answers
16-12-10, 20:20
You can change it anytime you want.Its really up to you...and frankly there isn't anything wrong with being a loner .I have felt like an outcast most of my life and really after a time I didn't worry about it too much.Friends are great but they can be a source of pain as well.I have known many people in my life that lived like hermits and also were loners that were just fine and enjoyed their life. Some people are just geared that way.But if it really bothers you ,put yourself out there get involved in civic organizations .When you meet people that you enjoy talking to take the first step .Invite them over for lunch or out to lunch or coffee..You take the lead and don't wait for them because they may never ask because they may be just like you.I hope some of this helped and you feel better soon.Michael

iwillgetbetter
18-12-10, 17:38
Thanks for the reply. I think it's true what they say that you can feel lonelier in a roomful of people than alone. I'm going to try to make more of an effort to mix with the mums as it'll be good for my daughter as well as me.