PDA

View Full Version : where do I start

dc
18-12-10, 15:14
Hi,

My name is Dave, I'd like to think I'm a nice guy, a bit of a soft touch perhaps, enjoy being with people and well liked by most. I'm English, live in the French countryside with my wife and we have a dog.
Health wise I'm not brilliant, had ulcerative colitis and had to have colon removed (ileostomy) and now wear a bag. Bit sad as I used to love playing all sport and have had to come to terms with just watching, but it does not stop me from eating curries and drinking beer.
I suffer with kidney stones as a result of my ileostomy which gives a lot of pain. Doctor said to give up beer, that's easier said than done when you life has revolved round it in all sport arenas.
I have a goiter (nodules on thyroid).

Now then to business as I feel I need some help!

I have suffered with various anxiety symptoms on and off for 34 years. They come and then they go. I am a very positive and logical person always trying to lead from the front perhaps I need to be in control all the time I just don't know.
I do not tend to have conscious negative thoughts but subconsciously ????
I sometimes get adrenaline rushes when I try to do the most simple things which in turn gives me chest pains, sometimes I tremble, sometimes I twitch and have had the feeling of ants crawling in my ear. I had a stressful holiday recently and I notice I have become very short tempered, wake up early and now very intolerant to noise, startle easily which in turn seems to release adrenaline and so it goes on.
I think that now perhaps that I am beginning to fear the anxiety which in turn is perhaps giving me more anxiety.
I still seem to pursue the reasons why this is happening to me as I don't think that my thoughts bring it on but that my body just does it, does that make sense??
I have never had a full blown panic attack. It's just enough to make me feel lousy and uncomfortable and I would like things to improve but I'm not sure what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

best regards
DC

nomorepanic
18-12-10, 15:18
Hi dc

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Groundhog
18-12-10, 15:39
Hi Dave and welcome
Your real medical problems put our perceived ones into context

Your anxiety conditions strike a cord as mine are similar. I always need to do a perfect job in anything I do; second best or ‘that will do’ simply isn’t me and I like everything just so and I get intolerant of people that take this attitude especially if it’s a joint exercise we are doing, and the way to tackle that is to take charge and lead which puts you under pressure– it’s a vicious circle really.

I found what has helped me is seeing a psychologist as they help you to take a different mindset when you feel things are ‘overtaking you’
:)

KK77
18-12-10, 17:24
Mind and body are inextricably linked and one will affect the other, so I can fully relate to your physical symptoms fuelling/causing anxiety. I think, as Groundhog said, some form of talking therapy would be very useful to try to desensitise your system so this doesn't escalate into full-blown panic attacks.

Welcome to the forum Dave - I hope you find the posts and information/articles useful.

evil monkey
18-12-10, 17:51
hope ur doing ok.

a few of those things you said..I've actually said exactly the same phrase