PDA

View Full Version : Red and painful hands

j2
18-12-10, 18:24
I am having one hand that gets very red when it is below my heart. The other hand seems to be not as bad. Both my hands and feet burn too. When I raise my hands above my head, the color seems to go back to normal. I am very worried this is heart, lung or circulation related. I keep checking my hands because they are not the same color. My right hand is almost blue sometimes. I am 39, non-smoker and thin. I have GERD and IBS and have fought HA for 20 years. This has me very worried. Can anyone relate? Help!!!

harasgenster
18-12-10, 18:29
Hi
Think you could be imagining some of the colour change? If you stare for a long time you can start seeing things like that. I don't think this is a symptom of anything. I think maybe one side of you might be hotter than the other? Maybe youve been sitting next to a radiator?

Sorry if that sounds patronising, it's not supposed to be. I just mean it sounds like it'll be something really simple.

Also, if you hold your hand above your head the blood will drain out so it will go less red anyway.

Sorry if this has been no help!

j2
18-12-10, 18:32
Thanks for the reply. This has been gonig on for several days. You don't sound patronising at all. I appreciate the response, I just want to stop freaking out. My hands hurt and look red. I am feeling very anxious right now.

harasgenster
18-12-10, 18:54
Where about does it hurt? Does it hurt inside or on the skin mostly? Is it an ache/stinging/burning?

Is it flakey at all? Is it red all over or red mostly across the knuckles?

My hands get sore sometimes and I might have an answer for you :)

j2
18-12-10, 20:22
It is across the tops of my hands and in my fingertips. I do have more dry skin on my right hand than on my left. My tips of my toes are also affected. I am strongly fighting the urge to rush to the ER but I don't even know what I would tell them.

harasgenster
18-12-10, 23:09
It is across the tops of my hands and in my fingertips. I do have more dry skin on my right hand than on my left. My tips of my toes are also affected. I am strongly fighting the urge to rush to the ER but I don't even know what I would tell them.

Ok. Don't think you need the ER just yet :) I get two things that cause this kind of pain. First of all, if I'm stressed and run down I get thrush on my hands. This makes them red and sore and it can look like dry skin. If it turns out to be this you can see a doc for cream or just try and get some rest and it'll fix itself.

The other thing I get is shooting pains in my fingertips. Sometimes these can be quite sharp and give me a shock! This is, again, anxiety. It can cause many things.

Whether your pain is the same as mine or not you are probably blowing it up in your mind. Why not try and find something that totally engages your mind for a bit? Do something where you HAVE to concentrate, talk to a friend (about something else), do a word puzzle...once you've taken your mind off it and genuinely haven't thought about it for a while, see if it's still there. Sometimes these things are worse because we're focusing on them. :)

j2
18-12-10, 23:22
I don't think I am ready for the ER yet either but I am very concerned. I really don't know what is wrong with me I just keep hoping it is anxiety. Thanks for listening.

Anxious_gal
18-12-10, 23:50
would you be able to visit your doctor tomorrow?

j2
19-12-10, 15:05
I am feeling better. I took some 5htp and bach's rescue rememdy and took a nap. I hope it was all anxiety. Thank you for all the responses.