PDA

View Full Version : feeling unreal or like in a dream, derealization

dls
18-12-10, 23:45
Does anyone feel like no matter what you do, you feel trapped in a dream? i cant quite snap into life or my surroundings. I feel like there's a glass wall between me and the people around me. anyone find a solution to this?

Captain Caveman
19-12-10, 00:24
Hey. I used to dissociate. It's easier said than done, but gradually try and not get caught up with your symptoms. Allow them to be there and don't keep buying in to what they could mean. http://www.panicattacks.com.au/anxdis/dissoc.html

dls
19-12-10, 01:23
do you treat it like any other form of anxiety?

Captain Caveman
19-12-10, 01:26
Hi. Yeah the more you buy in to your feelings and analyze them etc.. you are just prolonging distress for yourself. It's uncomfortable and exhausting work, but if you keep chipping away at not getting caught up in the cycle, you will see recovery :)

dls
19-12-10, 01:38
but the intense brain fogginess sometimes feels chemical or physical, how do you break the cycle when its so intense

Captain Caveman
19-12-10, 01:46
It's like Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption movie when he bit by bit chipped away at the rock. I know it's difficult behind description, but what other choice do you have? Persistence pays:) Don't put a timeframe on your recovery though. Everyone is different.

harasgenster
19-12-10, 02:01
Hi. I get derealisation a lot. I agree with Captain Caveman but, depending on the severity of your anxiety, it may be worth trying to get as much rest as possible and see if it subsides a little.

Usually, if I feel very derealised, I'll feel better if I take a week's holiday from work, get plenty of sleep and do something very relaxing. To me, it's walking in the countryside. I'd definitely say getting out in the fresh air can help clear the fog from your mind.

Captain Caveman is right to say don't focus on it though. Another thing I tend to do is focus on my surroundings. I'd normally go somewhere I find pretty (a park if I can't get to the countryside). Look at something nice (I likes me trees!) and think about how nice it is. Sounds silly but it works for me! I just find a simple pleasure and think about how wonderful it is. I do it with my favourite music too.

I have absolutely no idea if this will help you so I'm sorry if it doesn't. It might be just a personal thing for me!

Hope you feel better soon :D