PDA

View Full Version : Mind Blowing Symptom

billywhizz
19-12-10, 11:23
I have had a cold for 2 weeks now, and i think it may possibly have affected my sinus and my ears.

But on Friday night, i had just come downstairs from having a bath and i was sitting watching tv with my wife. i wasnt stressed or feeling unwell, just a little tired.

Then all of a sudden from out of the blue, the whole room started swaying, it was like i was drunk, but it was so intense. My actual words were "oh my god" i seriously thought i was dying, my senses and my brain were going mad.

I ran upstairs after the spinning, it only lasted a few seconds really, but it was so scary. then i managed to calm myself down. until i was stood in the bathroom again and i tilted my head backwards for a second and Bamn!!! it happened again, the world was spinning out of control. I had to lay on my bed, i tried to close my eyes but everything was still spinning.

I then spent about an hour shaking and terrified that i was seriously ill, it did eventually calm down, thank god.

I managed to get a bit of sleep and yesterday i was scared that i would feel the same when i woke, but it had calmed down alot. I was still scared all day tho. I got it into my head that i have had a stroke.

Today ive got up and the dizziness has eased some more, i dont feel dizzy really at all now, but i still have this fear now, that it will happen again, especially because it was out of the blue.

if it was an ear infection surely i would still be feeling dizzy. it could have been my sinuses i suppose, or even a migraine.

I am going to the doctors on monday morning to see what they say, but i worry so much about it being serious.

Need some advice if you can guys, this one really knocked me for six, havent been that scared in a long long time.

Captain Caveman
19-12-10, 11:30
Hi. I too used to go to the docs all the time. My doc said to me once that it's people like me that keep him in a job. You are clearly sensitized right now to sensations you feel. What helped me was to learn to experience as much discomfort as I could. In time, the anxiety will subside. Each time you do this it gets easier/less scary. I know that that it can be terribly uncomfortable coming from the place you are at right now. But with persistence, you will re-train yourself not to run for the hills every time you experience a sensation. Easier said than done I know. I can't remembered the last time I paniced:)

JaneC
19-12-10, 11:36
Hi Billy, I suspect was happened was related to your cold. I used to get vertigo a lot, still do sometimes, but have managed to get to a point where I just think, 'oh bit of a head spin there'' and not panic about it. I think you're right to see what doc says about your ears etc but I'm sure there is no serious cause x

billywhizz
20-12-10, 13:06
Update::

Went to the doctors this morning, and after giving me a minor examination he came to the conclusion that i may be suffering from BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo)

Apparently i may have suffered from it for some time, and when i think about it, i felt very similar to the way i felt the other night, on the night i had my first panic attack. that all started with a severe dizzy spell.

So although i feel a little more relieved that it nothing serious, i now have to get over the worry of feeling like that again, but im sure this worry will pass, as has the worry of my other symptoms ive experienced in the past.

Anxious_gal
20-12-10, 16:19
VERTIGO darling :)

what makes things look as if they are moving is that some times our eyes invoulntary move during an episode of vertigo,, had you moved your head or switched positions at all before the dizziness?
I get this a lot and it's scary, you get dizzy and it's so hard to focus as every thing is sort of swaying.

Anxious_gal
20-12-10, 16:21
oh sorry only saw your update now, glad you got it sorted :-)
if you look up vertigo they are so movements which can help dislodge the crystals from your ears or you can go get it professionally done, it just involves lying down and moving your head into certain positions, never tried it myself though.