PDA

View Full Version : Heartmath

Diver
19-12-10, 23:46
I've decided to post this here as I'm not sure where else it should go? Therapy maybe? This section gets more hits so here it is? :)

Has anyone any experience with Heartmath? ( Google is your friend if you have never heard of it)

Basically it's techniques to get your mind and body into a settled working order known as 'Coherence'

I've just bought an EmWave PSR which is a small electronic gadget that assists with entering into Coherence. Now based on the Internet blurb I may have easily dismissed Heartmath as it can come across as New Age mumbo jumbo bolox.

However a pal of mine who happens to be a retired NHS Consultant Psychiatrist feels there is something to this programme and has assessed the theory behind the claims.

So far the exercises are 'helping' with anxiety and Pure O (if we need a label on things) and I've had the gadget a couple of days.

I would be interested to hear from others who have used Heartmath (don't bother replying to say - looks rubbish to me if all you have done is read the web site :winks:) but good or bad reviews of the system would be interesting to discuss.

Going home
20-12-10, 00:12
Hello Diver, well i'm not replying to say its rubbish, but I am replying to ask you to explain what it is and how it works? Perhaps other members know of it but ive not heard of it before i'm afraid and would love you to tell me more about it, and Dr.Google isn't all that popular on the forum as you know so alot of us are a bit reluctant to go there.

Thanks
Anna x

Diver
20-12-10, 00:28
Hello Diver, well i'm not replying to say its rubbish, but I am replying to ask you to explain what it is and how it works? Perhaps other members know of it but ive not heard of it before i'm afraid and would love you to tell me more about it, and Dr.Google isn't all that popular on the forum as you know so alot of us are a bit reluctant to go there.

Thanks
Anna x

Hi Anna

Without going to the website and cutting and pasting I will give you my lay persons guide to what I understand. ( their Website is Heartmath.com or something like that -just put Heartmath in Google and it is the top hit)

Anyway, the Heartmath people say that Stress, Anxiety, panic etc can be due to the body not being in a state know as Coherence - where the mind and body are in synch.

Heartmath techniques encourage, regular steady breathing, positive happy thoughts and 'heart breathing' these combined together encourage a state of Coherence where the body and mind are in synergy. This is meant to reduce anxiety and stress.

Too be honest if I had just read the stuff on the Internet I would have been reluctant to spend the money on the gadget that helps with the process (you don't need a EmWave to practice Heartmath)

I only heard about this system on Thursday so I'm very new to it all - I've been a member here since August (I read your unedited post :D)

Like I say I would be interested to discus the system with other users.

Hope that helps. :)

Going home
20-12-10, 00:37
Thank you for the reply and for explaining it in more detail. You also read my unedited reply? ok, well i'm a very misunderstood person here :) and I find that I have to go over my words carefully so as not to offend anyone as I really don't want to do that but apparently I often do, hence the deletion of certain things in my replies...my mum has always said I talk before I think sorry! So anyway...I have a heart phobia...not to be confused with the real thing, and saying that must mean i'm recovering from the phobia? I guess so, but i'm interested in Heartmath so will look further into it.

Thanks again (honest John)
Anna xx

Diver
20-12-10, 00:45
I'm not sure what a heart phobia is Anna so I'm not sure if Heartmath is of help to you? They talk of 'heart breathing' but obviously we can't breath out of our heart! That part is purely a centring exercise I believe.

Best of luck and regards

D.