PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate/Exercise. In a tizz again, sorry! ;(

PokerFace
20-12-10, 06:28
Sorry if this is a little long, appriciate it if you took the time to read it. :)

I've been trying to come off my Beta Blockers (Propranolol) for the past week cuz I blame it for me not being able to lose any weight despite eating less than the recommended daily calorie intake and exercising from 1-2 hours a day everyday. It's bin 3/4 weeks and I just keep at the same weight or lose/put on 2 pounds. ;s I would have thought I've atleast lost 1 pound by now! (Idk if it is the Propranolol or not but I still blame it)

When I exercise with the Propranolol I can't feel my heart at all so I can do hard exercise comfertably for up to 2 hours at a time and I don't get scared, but without them my heart goes mental! It pounds when I walk up the stairs, when I roll over in bed and when I try to exercise OMG it feels like it's about to burst out my bloody chest! I was dancing on Dance Central and it was just an average routine, not strenuous or anything and I did it about 4/5 times in a row cuz I was trying to get 5 stars on it. When I got the 5 stars I stopped and realised my heart was going so mad, I hadn't realised before cuz I was concentrating really hard on getting every move. I took my pulse and it was at 132bpm so I thought okay, not too bad cuz I was being active but I hadn't even broke a sweat or anything so I don't know if my pulse should have even been that high? It was REALLY hard too, I could literally feel it pounding away in my chest badly.

I went downstairs and moaned about it a bit and my mum and sister said it was normal and I was jus bein silly again so I went back upstairs and my sister came in with Dr Google on her phone internet!!! She so kindly told me that exercise for a 20 year old they should try to get to 140bpm or 170bpm if they're really fit. So after yelling at her a bit (been trying so hard to avoid doctor google, I don't want him to come to me!) I started to panic, if my heart was at 132bpm after 10/15 mins of average exercise, what happens if I carry on and it goes over 140bpm or goes to 170?! I'm not really fit at all, like I said earlier my heart seems to race if I roll over in bed so I'm scared that if it goes to 170 it would jus be like OMG and give out. ;s

I really don't wanna be on the Beta Blockers anymore because I wanna shift the 9 pounds I've put on since I started them. (They're not entirley to blame so don't panic if you take Propranolol) But without the Propranolol I feel like I can't exercise cuz it's so uncomfertable and scary. I feel like I'm in a "damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't" situation! Any imput or advice is truley appriciated. xx

Oh, and if anybody has Dance Central too, I was doing the Soulja Boy routine on hard. Do you think that a pulse of 132 whilst doing that is really bad? ;( x

Oh oh, and has anybody managed to lose weight whilst taking Propranolol? I take 30mg daily, but started to take 10mg a day and now none at weekend. x

peter34uk
20-12-10, 08:03
Hi,

I know what your going through. Its the adrenaline and it takes a while to subside.

Its happened to me & I hardly exercise at all because of it (I used to be an amateur boxer)

Sometimes my chest hasnt calmed down for at least 30-40min and because I get panicky about it, it can continue longer.

So try not too worry.

When it happens, open your window & dowse yourface with ice cold water. Turn on the TV, lie down and try to breath.

After a while it will subside!

Take care.

Gazz
20-12-10, 08:08
Hiya pokerface woudnt worry to much about that heart rate to much its well within normal limits for your age during exercise and weight wise if you stay in target range everytime you exercise and your diet is good dont worry you will start to lose weight heres a link to put your mind at rest about your heart during exercise. and keep dancing fit woman lol your doing goooood. http://www.dietandfitnessresources.co.uk/fitness_exercise/heart_rate_chart_w.htm

Captain Caveman
20-12-10, 08:29
Greetings. I'm no fitness guru, but I was reading the other day about all the hypes and fads that have come and gone regards exercise. One method of training that has stood the test of time though has been INTERVAL TRAINING. So if you aint already implementing that in to your exercise routine, then you could look in to it. http://www.weightloss-foods.org/blog/interval-training-as-a-better-form-of-cardiovascular-exercise/

Ella_Jayne
20-12-10, 09:37
You're heart rate is fine hun. When I went back to the gym, I never really noticed my heart rate on previous times that I was there but when I started back after bad anx and panic I noticed my heart rate was mosly in its 160's when doing a moderate to fast walk. My boyfriends went right up to 180's. It's completely normal. Nothing to worry about atall. At 132bpm it's at a very safe pace. You're max heart rate is 220 - your age I think, so your's is 200bpm. That's the max your heart can go. 132bpm won't bother it. It's a very strong muscle.

And the thumping you feel in your chest is just because you're coming off the betas. It's gonna be like that for a while but you'll get used to the normal feelings of the heart and eventually you won't even think about it. Your heart is fine. You've had ECG's come back fine. You're ok. Keep on exercising and let your heart pound and race, although it's annoying it's not harmful!

xxx :)

PokerFace
20-12-10, 11:22
Thanks for the advice peter, I'll keep it all in mind when I start to get panicky!

Gazz and Caveman I found the links really useful, seeing my heart rate is normal and I'm definatley gonna try the exercise method in the link you sent Caveman! Anythin to try and shift this extra weight lol.

Ella thank youuuuuu, you've bin a big part of me even bein able to get this far! You're right, I'm not used to normal heart activity at all anymore! Find it really reassuring that yours/you bfs hearts can go up to 160/180 and it's normal. :)

I braved exercise this mornin anyway, done about 40 mins so far and my heart wasn't thumping AS hard but I think it's cuz I wasn't going as hard as I usually do cuz I'm a bit nervous. Cooling down I'm startin to get a few palps, atleast I think they're palps lol but I'm hopin it's normal! Feelin a bit funny too but I'm not gonna cave in and take any beta blockers, I'm gonna stick to it! :) xx