PDA

View Full Version : Throat infection and Penicillin

suef23
20-12-10, 14:50
Hi this the first time I have posted on here even though I have been a member for awhile now. Reading everybodies stories and worries is comforting (sorry but you all know what I mean).
For the last week my 2 boys have been so ill with flu which has made my anx very high and just as they began to get better I became really ill with what I thought was a chest infection :weep: this absolutely terrified me! I felt so bad with very high temp, aches an pains, bad cough, dry sore throat, no voice etc. In the end I went to the local walk in centre (in the snow) and was told, to my relief I had a throat infection (the thought of having a chest infection terrifies me becoz it can hinder your breathing). I was put on 250mg of Penicillin 8 times a day (or 2, 4 times a day lol). When I first got them I was so happy to take them to make me better becoz I felt so awful. I have been taking them now for nearly 48 hrs and I am feeling much better and Im keeping on top of my paracetemol and ibruphon too but now Im feeling much better my anx has come back and now i have terrible health anx that im going to have a reaction to this penicillin. Ive started going dizzy these last few hrs and I cant get the thought that it could be the penicillin out of my head. I have googled it (i know i shouldnt) and they all say that dizziness is not a side effect of this drug unless its a severe reaction which has just made me more anxious now. I must admit that when Im not ill or that my health anx is all about going dizzy and fainting so to me this isnt anything new and even as I write this I know I should take my own advice and put it down to anx but its easier said than done.
Ive searched on here for people who are like me and are worried about a reaction to penicillin but the more I searched the more I read about people who WERE allergic to penicillin an so couldnt take it which for me just makes it worse coz if theres more people allergic that gives me more of a % to be allergic too. Im so sorry to ramble but this is really driving me crazy and I know if this dizziness gets any worse I wont want to take any more tablets but I know I should - anx Vs illness. Can anyone help or atleast give me some kind words that could help? Thank you :)

steven67
20-12-10, 16:38
like you i have had cough ,cold flu,i am on amoxicillin 500mg x3 a day,for a week,got so would up about taking them i got nausea which i have not had for three yrs ,light headness,what it was with me is that i am arfaid that it will play up my ibs,as my ibs is getting better ,my chest was hurting from coughing and my back,seems to be easing a bit now ,theres a ot of it about so we not on our own ,but it me worse because of my ha, i had it last year for 6 wks ,so take care it will go, atvb steve

Groundhog
20-12-10, 16:55
Hi
My daughter is allergic to penicillin, she comes out in a rash and has flu like symptoms – temperature, lethargic etc. You don’t say you get this, if you are just light headed that sounds like anxiety to me, I think i would persevere at least until tomorrow and if you feel no different or worse just give your GP a ring and ask over the phone if they think its the drugs or not.