PDA

View Full Version : Memory box of Karen for Nigel

yvonne_uk_98
21-12-10, 19:45
Memory box of Karen for Nigel

This is to help Nigel get through this difficult time. That Nigel can come and look in this memory box of Karen and see happy moments and some sad moments that when Karen touched your life’s with her love, care, patience, sense of humor etc…

This is a memory box of Karen for Nigel, the girl that Nigel has been speaking about. I thought it would be a good way to write what memories you may have of Karen, what Karen did for you, did Karen help you in any way. Whatever Karen did in anyway for you.

This is just a suggestion (which helps me change a negative memory to positive)
When a sad memory comes up, take another look at the picture of the memory, what’s happening, is there any love, care, comforting etc… then the memory becomes a positive memory instead of negative.

bottleblond
21-12-10, 20:37
Unfortunately i didn't know Karen very well however i do know she made some special friends on NMP.

Nigel and Karen were close friends and when you have that bond, the person will always live on in your heart.

Nigel :hugs:

Love Lisa
xxx

Nigel
21-12-10, 21:55
Thank you so much Yvonne, for such a lovely idea :hugs:

Seagulls...

Not a memory as such, but something that makes me think of her now, because Karen loved the sea. It was were she always lived, and where she wanted to move back to. She said the countryside felt so claustrophobic – all woods and trees.

I’m about 30 miles from the coast so don’t see many here, except during the coldest weather when they tend to venture further inland. But this year I’ve noticed one or two here throughout the entire year. Not regular, but from time to time – even in the middle of summer.

I always look up and think of Karen when I see them now, and I think of that line from a favourite song of mine – a song I’m sure she would hate, BTW...
“I’m as free as a bird now...”

paula lynne
21-12-10, 22:12
I didnt know Karen personally, but she has touched my life in so many ways through Nigel I guess. Nigel himself talks about how Karen used to reply to posts here, and that he learnt so much from her. Karen goes on.......

"Im as free as a bird now....and this bird you cannot change......." x

ditzygirl
22-12-10, 13:07
What a truely lovely idea. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Karen either but I fror what I can gather she was a remarkable lady.

Nigel, you have handled everything in a manner that shows what a lovely and strong person you are. It's tough just now I know but one day you will look back on all of this and Karen with fond warm memories and you will be grateful for everything she has taught you.
You will also gain the strength to move on with life in a way Karen would have been proud of.

So here's wishing you and your family the warmest Seasons greetingsxxxxxxx

eeyorelover
22-12-10, 17:53
The Carpenters

One Christmas I recorded a Carpenters song and sent it to her. She was so appreciative.
I remember her sending me messages several times in the following weeks telling me she had listened to it again and thanking me.
It filled me with so much joy that she liked it so much and was so careful to thank me.
Sending that one song made me fill more in the Christmas spirit than any present I received that year.
She was so supportive and sweet.
I also realize that the idealistic attitude she had with Karen Carpenter was also sort of destructive because of their ED 'kinship' but the music still made her happy.
I still think of her every time I hear a Carpenter's song!
xxx
Sandy

Nigel
22-12-10, 20:16
Yes, there will always be lots of Carpenters memories. You’re right, there was that ED connection between both Karens, but she did genuinely love listening to their songs.

I know I’ve posted this link and lyrics elsewhere, but this thread is about ‘Memories of Karen’, and this was her favourite Carpenters song. It was also one she choose to be played at her funeral. She didn’t want it to be a religious ceremony, so we were all asked to either say a prayer or remember Karen in any way we wanted to while it was played.

It was very emotional...

There’s something about the final lines of this song.
It’s almost like Karen’s final words to all her friends...

I love you in a place where there's no space or time.
I love you for my life, you are a friend of mine.
And when my life is over,
Remember when we were together.
We were alone and I was singing this song for you...

A Song For You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMgmgDq2Fo) – The Carpenters

Joexgee
22-12-10, 20:25
i never knew karen as so many others didn't, but she sure sounds like she was an inspiration to everyone and was a very special lady.
hope you find this thread a help to you nigel, i think its a lovely idea.
take care xxx

happyone
08-01-11, 16:22
When I used to use this forum more regularly, there was a few of us used to congregate in a thread. Karen had a lot of caring things to say, even when she was struggling. That was lovely.

One memory of Karen that makes me smile is of playing Scrabble with her on Facebook! She was a fantastic opponent and made a big dent in my statistics!

Happyone
xx

Nigel
11-01-11, 21:09
Yes... Karen did play a mean game of Scrabble!
I only ever beat her once and that was the first time we played. I think she was giving a chance.

The thing I remember is all those little 2-letter words she would come up with. She could fit them in anywhere while I was struggling to find the big clever words. That was her secret weapon :)

Granny Primark
16-01-11, 06:35
I feel blessed i got to meet karen.
I had her on my facebook and she was always very supportive.
Ive always been a big fan of the carpenters and think of her everytime i play my carpenters cd.
God bless you karen, you were a very special caring person.

Jimbo
12-02-11, 12:37
I just found out about Karen today, I hadn't visited the forum for a long time and I was so sad to read this thread. She will be missed by so many people. Especially me, she was always helpful when I was going through a rough time myself and I'm proud to have known her. I hope she is in a happier place now. RIP Karen.:hugs:

jill
15-02-11, 02:02
This is such a great idea :D

When I first joined this great site many moons ago, I was in a right mess, my hole life had turned upside down, panic, high levels of anxiety, living in fear 24/7.

It took me a good while before I would even go near the pc, scared of what I may find, scared that the inforantion I found would tell me I would be like this forever :scared15:

I read a few web sites first, one saying, there is NO cure :scared15:

Then I found this GREAT SITE :yesyes:

I was soooooo scared when I signed in, my thoughts where all over the place, I was soo frightened I was ready to sign back out again, it was Karen who I pm'd and asked her advice about the forums. She was sooo nice and she calmed me down. I was sooo scared, if she had NOT calmed me down, I would have signed right back out again, my mind was playing tricks on me.

She helped me MORE than you will ever know, in many different ways, I only pm'd her that once, but I followed her story, each and every day for a very, very long time.

The beginning of recovery starts somewhere and I believe for ME, mine started with this GREAT site, KAREN helping me STAY with the site and NOT signing back out again, my recovery started THAT night.

Karen touched my heart in sooo many different ways, I TRULY believe, if it wasn't for Karen, I would not be where I am today and that is, feeling better.

SHE WAS a part of my recovery, a small part, BUT just as important:D take what Karen did for me, away, if she had not pm's me back, I don't think I would be where I am today, having a better understand of panic, anxiety and a better understanding of myself.

I never wrote much about myself and how bad things where, Mmm but thats me. My story is a very long one, LOL

This is MY memories of Karen, someone who was part of my recovery :yesyes:

This site is a GREAT place to be, it has helped me soooo much, more than anyone will ever know,

LOVE JILL XXXX