PDA

View Full Version : Is this Pure-O OCD or something more?

Sonny Moonlight
21-12-10, 23:14
Hello.

In the past, I've suffered from severe panic attacks and it left me unable to eat and live a normal life, and eventually I was hospitalized due to my weight loss. Since then I've been progressing, but am still on bedrest.

It seems as if my panic disorder has developed into Pure 'O' OCD. I was panicking one night having the bizarre thought of being somewhere I wasn't and I reassured myself that I wasn't crazy and I'm obviously where I know I am, and that I'd be 'crazy' if I was thinking about aliens or something.

So I began thinking about aliens (irrational, I know.) a couple days later and I suddenly began to panic thinking I was going insane or crazy or developing delusions. I kept having this irrational thought that people around me were aliens, that they've planted my memory, etc. etc. and I knew these thoughts are really far out there but I couldn't disprove them, which made me panic even more. I dwelled on it for nearly a week and it feels like it's becoming true (I know it isn't), the thoughts are so persistent and I just cannot disprove them because my imagination always finds a way to throw me back into uncertainty, which makes me scared that I may actually believe this one day.

I'm also mildly depressed from being on bed rest for 7 weeks, constantly shaking due to anxiety.

The psychiatrist assured me it's Purely Obsessional OCD, but I really feel as if something more is wrong here.

Captain Caveman
22-12-10, 01:37
Hi SM. Our imagination is limitless. Thus there is always room for "but what if....?" When a person is highly anxious, as you currently are, things can feel like they are real.

It's easy for me to sit back and say that you need to learn to live with uncertainty and leave room for ambiguity, but there is obviously a lot of work to be done in between reaching that goal. But trying to disprove or reassure yourself of the absurdity of your fears, may help you in the short term, but in the long term - they key - it won't help. Here is an excerpt from ocdonline.com

...."the majority of people with OCD are aware of the excessiveness and absurdity of their thoughts and perceptions. Nevertheless, they continue to experience a great deal of distress from the thoughts. Therefore, helping OCD suffers to see the irrational nature of the thought content is counterproductive. " http://www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php

Have a read of that article and others on the website.:)