PDA

View Full Version : Panicking over cigarette ash

_Emma
23-12-10, 20:47
Oh god, this is going to sound crazy, but I'm really feeling panic starting to build up within me. I was leaning out of my bedroom window having a cigarette when I heard my mum coming up the stairs (she doesn't like me smoking in the house or near the house tbh!!!) so I quickly stubbed it out outside my window on a wee wooden bit that is underneath all our windows, threw the cigarette out the window, shut the window and sprayed perfume. I have never ever smoked inside my house (or out the window) and I don't know why I did it, guess I was just really craving one, but now I wish I hadn't cos I'm panicking.

I'm so so terrified that the ash that's on the wooden bit outside of my window is going to start a fire and burn my house down. I googled it and it said that three components are needed to start a fire, something to burn on like paper, WOOD etc, heat (which I think the ash would provide as it might still be a bit hot?) and oxygen.

Really freaking out, is it possible the ash could start a fire? The cigarette is most definitely out, once my mum had got in the bath I ran outside, found it, made sure it was most DEFINITELY out, then threw it far away. I have scrubbed the bit of wood with my hands until they almost bled and think I've got rid of most of the ash, but I'm still really worried, does anyone know if a fire could start?

Anxious_gal
23-12-10, 20:54
you would see smoke and fire and since there is none a fire won't start.

_Emma
23-12-10, 20:58
would it happen instantly though? or could it start like a few hours later?

_Emma
23-12-10, 23:31
ok so it's been like, nearly 2 hours now, why am I still worrying?!?! I'm like worried the wood catches fire somehow overnight or something! God I'm actually annoying myself for being so worried!!!!

gaaron
23-12-10, 23:35
Hi Emma, It is definitely not going to catch fire. x

kirstyt
23-12-10, 23:43
It really wont hun.not after two hours xxx

_Emma
24-12-10, 00:17
Thanks for the reassurance, don't know what's wrong with me, just feel so edgy n tense worrying, think I'll feel better in the morning when the house is (hopefully!!!!) still standing!

Anxious_gal
24-12-10, 00:56
look if you dropped it on the couch it could take a few minutes before you would notice but you dropped it outside on treated wood.
I've often dropped a fag down the side of the bed on in the couch, panicked while trying to find it then worried that a fire might still start.

Anxious_gal
24-12-10, 00:57
it's your imagination, it feels real but won't happen x

Nigel
24-12-10, 01:38
Hi Emma,

Stop worrying!
The house will still be standing in the morning :winks:

“I googled it and it said that three components are needed to start a fire, something to burn on like paper, WOOD etc, heat (which I think the ash would provide as it might still be a bit hot?) and oxygen.”

So reach out of the window and feel the window sill where you stubbed it out. Can you feel any heat? So that only leaves two of the three vital components, and two isn’t enough, is it?

I think these worries might be more about feeling guilty for doing something behind your Mum’s back that you know she would disapprove of.

Take care :)
Nigel

_Emma
24-12-10, 18:49
hi guys, thanks for all the replies :) i am pleased to report that my house is still standing, so i am feeling much more relaxed today! phew lol. and nigel, i think u were right in that i was feeling really guilty for doing something i knew my mum wouldn't approve of in the house, and that was what was keeping my anxiety going!

Groundhog
24-12-10, 22:27
I’ll tell you what Emma if you think you can start a fire under those circumstances you had better come to my house and have a go at our open log burner in the lounge I can’t get that flaming thing to light with firelighters and dry wood and all manner of combustion accelerators:doh: