PDA

View Full Version : Dreading Christmas

feelingbad
25-12-10, 08:28
Hi everyone. I've had anxiety and panic attacks since I was 13 and I'm now 43. Everything was going along ok until about a week ago when I started to feel a bit anxious and depressed and of course I worried and analysed every feeling until I have managed to get myself into such a high level of anxiety that my stomach is churning, my heart banging, feel sick and feel like I'm really losing the plot. I know the way to stop it is to relax and go with the flow but I just cant. Went to my doctor yesterday who has signed me off of work, and upped my anti-depressants and Oxazepam and said I was probably having a breakdown as I have lost all my coping strategies. Does anyone else feel like I do. I feel so alone and just want to drive myself to A&E and get something to stop the feelings of anxiety. Just can't see myself getting over this this time, although somewhere deep inside I know I have felt like this before, although maybe not this bad in such a long time. Thank you for listening and Happy Christmas,

nomorepanic
25-12-10, 08:31
Hi feelingbad

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

woody77
25-12-10, 08:58
Hi nicola, I really feel for you. I also have suffered from anxiety and panic on and off since I was 21. Christmas always deems to trigger my anxiety levels and I often feel like I need to escape to somewhere safe where I would be looked after and given something to calm me down and relax me. I put on a brave face es h year and struggle through somehow, usually with the help of good old fashioned diazepam! But I always get through it and can't edit for life to get back to 'normal' again. It's hell though isn't it. I hope u find the strength to cope, u r certainlg not on your own, I and am sure that many others will be thinking of you and willing you the strength to cope and get through it, you will feel better, you know it will pass just as it has many times before. So here's wishing you all the best for Christmas and looking forward to recovery from this episode. Very best wishes :)

woody77
25-12-10, 09:01
Apologies for the spelling mistakes, not got my s:)pecs on yet!:)

honeyp1e
25-12-10, 09:36
Hi everyone. I've had anxiety and panic attacks since I was 13 and I'm now 43. Everything was going along ok until about a week ago when I started to feel a bit anxious and depressed and of course I worried and analysed every feeling (i guess all anxiety suffers do this we think of every feeling, sensation & sympton and dwell on them which makes them then feel 100 times worse )
until I have managed to get myself into such a high level of anxiety that my stomach is churning,(i get this churning stomach 24/7 this is my main sympton i used to not eat or anything when i had this as i just thought i would vomit everywhere if i did eat on a nervous churning stomach and i have a phobia of vomiting so this just made me worse but so what if its churning let it churn i find once i carry on doing what i was doing or eating and just forgetting then the churning usually just goes away)

my heart banging, feel sick (i always get nausea)
and feel like I'm really losing the plot. I know the way to stop it is to relax and go with the flow but I just cant.( I NEVER CAN RELAX I DON'T THINK I EVEN NO WHAT THE WORD RELAX IS LOL)
Went to my doctor yesterday who has signed me off of work, and upped my anti-depressants and Oxazepam and said I was probably having a breakdown as I have lost all my coping strategies. (you haven't lost your coping strategies you still have them in the back of your mind its just the anxiety is that more powerfull at the moment its choosing not to listen to the coping strategies they will come back soon as you let go of your anxiety)

Does anyone else feel like I do. (i have been feeling this way now for over 18 months it is however starting to feel that little bit better but who wants little ?? we want to be 100% better but thats not gonna happen unless we ACCEPT this and learn to live with it this is what am finding hard!!
I feel so alone and just want to drive myself to A&E and get something to stop the feelings of anxiety (i have done this many of times taken myself to A&E to stop this but WHAT REALLY CAN THEY DO ?? nothing i no its hard but we can only help ourselves i sound like i never have a care in the world but my anxiety has been bad i have cried for days on end which all the symptons and sensations thinking i was having a break down i even rang the loony home to take me in i thought i waas that bad and even they turned me away we will get better and this will pass in time we just have to bare with it you can do this like you said you have done it before you have had these feelings before and pulled through it so you no you will again just be strong take the bull by the horns ).
Just can't see myself getting over this this time (we all say this but you will get through it and i will to),
although somewhere deep inside I know I have felt like this before, although maybe not this bad in such a long time. Take Care xx Thank you for listening and Happy Christmas,

keep smiling xx

eternally optimistic
26-12-10, 19:06
Hi feelingbad,

Hope you didnt have to go to A & E in the end and that today is better for you.

Best wishes.

amanda*43
27-12-10, 17:19
Hello
Just wanted to say Hi, you are not alone! Christmas is a real trigger point for lots of us. Things will get better.
kind regards, amanda