PDA

View Full Version : Employment, Sickness Absence and Benefits

mizfiesta
26-12-10, 14:10
I have been off my work since the start of September as I have been suffering from depression. I am on medication and have been seeing my GP regularly. I don't think that I'm back to full fitness in any way, shape or form, though I'm certainly a bit better than I was. I have a sick note from my doctor which lasts up until the 5th January. I still don't feel ready to return to work though, but I've no doubt my GP will have no problem with extending my 'sick line'.

I work for the local authority as a support worker and have been in regular contact with my manager with regards to Sickness Absence etc. As I have been off for some time now, I have been referred for a medical assessment to Occupational Health. I attend this on the 28th December. I have read some information about the outcomes of such assessments but I could use some advice from people who have been in similar situations.

As I've been employed in my present job less than three years, I will be on half rate of pay from the 3rd January 2011 which, as you can imagine, is weighing on my mind as it's going to be a struggle to cope financially.

If I'm really honest though, I do not want to go back to my job. It fills me with dread when I think about it. I am supposed to support people when I can barely support myself some days! I feel like an empty vessel that someone is shaking upside down in order extract more from. The sickness absence procedure has an alternative to returning to your job if your deemed as not being fit for duty and can 'redeploy' within the company - but there are no available jobs due to the recession so they would probably end up letting me go.

I am worried sick and need some advice please! If I tell my manager I want to leave my job will I receive benefits? If I explain to the Doctor at the Occupational Health Assessment how I feel and am Medically 'Retired' will I get benefits?? Will I ever get another job in the future if I am medically retired? Will it hang over me forever?

Any feedback will be gratefully received.

lostnanxiety
26-12-10, 16:00
I am in the same situation except I have just started leave due to anxiety and panic. I am employed with the local government and receive 12 weeks under the family medical leave act. I am required to use all vacation and sick leave. Once I am off work for 30 days I may apply for short term disability which would say 60% of my income for up to 6 mths. If it goes beyond that time it turns into long term disability. This does not secure my job however, that would only be the 12 wk. I live in the US. I hope this helps.

london
26-12-10, 16:21
ring this number when thay are open it will tell you where you stand
0800 88 22 00

mizfiesta
26-12-10, 18:36
I also posted the exact same question on theanswerbank.co.uk as I did here and got two horrible replies. This is one of the replies:

"This has really wound me up as a tax payer and non sponger. You have been on full pay since September and not working. You are depressed. You dont want to go back to your job. will I receive benefits?..." If I explain to the Doctor at the Occupational Health Assessment how I feel and am Medically 'Retired' will I get benefits?? Will I ever get another job in the future if I am medically retired?" ...... Leave your job. Go see a good doctor. Get another job and stop sponging off the State. The world doesn't owe you a living. I suppose all you do gooders will sl@g me off now".

I feel soo disheartened. I don't want to be unemployed. I am worried sick. How can people be so judgemental and horrible. I was only asking for advice.

mizfiesta
26-12-10, 18:37
ring this number when thay are open it will tell you where you stand
0800 88 22 00

Thanks. Is it for Citizens Advice?

mizfiesta
26-12-10, 18:39
Are these opinions fair? Am I being out of order? Please copy and paste link and tell me honestly if I'm doing the wrong thing here or thinking wrongly.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Body-and-Soul/Question971559.html

simshalmed
27-12-10, 13:27
Work is necessary and also has benefits for ourselves but it also gives great pressure...

yvonne_uk_98
27-12-10, 13:36
Hi,

I have a few links for you, maybe this will help you.

http://disabledpeopleprotest.wordpress.com/

http://carerwatch.com/cuts/

go to the carerwatch.com this is a website that supports people who are on benefits, or need to claim benefits. if I can find the link that get's you there, I will post here for you.

Yvonne

yvonne_uk_98
27-12-10, 13:46
Hi Miz,

I found that link for you, they will give you advice and support.

http://carerwatchdotcom.myfineforum.org/index.html

you need to registar with this website, it's free to join, there is lots going on. someone on there will know what's best to do.

I hope this helps.

Yvonne

london
27-12-10, 15:07
Thanks. Is it for Citizens Advice?
no its run by the dwp a very big help