PDA

View Full Version : Letting fears take over my life!

Unconnected
26-12-10, 21:40
I'm always worrying and it affects my eating sometimes it feels like i can't swallow and that if i swallow i'll choke or nearly and i'm so fussy about what i eat i don't eat nuts,vegs and so on i'm just scared of choking and its so serious i ended up everytime i ate that once i finished i'd rince? my mouth out with water because there was still stuff in my mouth that i couldn't swallow...(i sound like a right freak) :shrug: i'm just soo SCARED!
sometimes i eat something for a week then get sick of it...and i'm so fussy i can't find foods that i actually like.. :unsure: help!! :unsure:

paula lynne
26-12-10, 23:53
Hi, you could try taking a sip of water after every swallow, that will reassure you that youve swallowed the food. Most delis will let you sample food these days before you buy, that may be a way to try new things without commiting to buy them....

Also make a list and stick it inside a kitchen cupboard of the foods you like, that way you can refer to the list, and mix and match instead of eating the same thing for a week. Good luck with your new tasting adventures. And remember, if Jenny Bond can eat a kangaroos penis and swallow it, Im sure you can try a few new "normal" food every week! Enjoy!! :winks:

ZMan
27-12-10, 00:59
Hi there

Guess what? My 'fears' are the exact same as yours, I'm very very worried about choking. I also do the same things as yourself. Today for example I ate a grape given to me by my sister, because I've had a bad viral infection recently my tonsils have became very ulcerated and certain bits of food stick to them so even with tiny bits of grape I was convincing myself they'd go down my throat and I'd choke on them. I was drinking tea later and as it went down my throat I got the feeling it was carrying something most likely which was at the back of my throat and I did well not to freak out - if I had freaked out that could've led to a funny hospital visit - "What did you say you thinks stuck in your throat?" "Eh I dunno, it went down there with a sip of tea" - :roflmao:.

I laugh about such things to try and keep them sounding irrational, cos I do have a fear of choking and hate the thought, luckily my ENT appointment last week reassured me because I was told my throat functions fine, although the past few days with a sore throat when I swallow plus the food at the back of the tonsils has not been pleasant.

My advice, and I know it's cliched advice and always the same, but try not to think about it. I know, I know, but when I eat and say I'm with friends or watching TV or busy I don't stop to think 'what if'. Also, try and rationalise your fear or even get a better understanding of it, like now I know that when stuff goes the right way down your throat it physically can not choke you. etc.

Unconnected
27-12-10, 10:00
Thanks guys :) makes me feel alot better!

kirstyt
27-12-10, 12:48
Ur definatly not a freak hun.ive had this for 4 yrs now ever since my anxiety started.i will only eat things that i can mash together.dont eat meat or eat anything i cant mash up.and even if the foods mashed it takes me hours to eat it!:weep:

Unconnected
27-12-10, 13:12
Ur definatly not a freak hun.ive had this for 4 yrs now ever since my anxiety started.i will only eat things that i can mash together.dont eat meat or eat anything i cant mash up.and even if the foods mashed it takes me hours to eat it!:weep:
I thought I was the only one...i hate anxiety! :weep: