PDA

View Full Version : puts it into perspective

mick_uk
27-12-10, 22:23
I spent most of christmas day in a kids ward in the local hospital and when I saw what they had wrong with them and how they just got on with it, it put me to shame with my problems. Bought me down to earth a bit. Stopped me feeling sorry for myself.
I got beat up by an eight year old girl in a wheelchair. She was a really fragile little tot with tubes and wires all wired up to all sorts of machines and she beat me up. :D
Someone had given her a christmas present of a giant foam hammer :shrug:
She battered me with it because i wouldn't play Bob the friggin builder for her :D
Put everything in perspective for me that did.

ps: I'll beat her next time when i'm stronger

eternally optimistic
27-12-10, 22:27
Hey, that sounds great...

We could take a leaf out their books, anyday.

Gazz
27-12-10, 22:30
Know what your saying there mick we dont realise how healthy and lucky we are do we untill we visit them places.

bottleblond
27-12-10, 22:36
I knew there was more to you than meets the eye oor Mick.

You are a very vocal yet private person and that's an amazing combination. If i was wearing a hat them i would take it off for you.

You know folks...if we stood back and thought of those worse off than us for at least ten minutes, we would realise how damn lucky we all are.

Life is for living no matter how difficult. Some poor people don't have the choice between life and death so lets do them some justice and help those worse off eh?

Love Lisa
xx

paula lynne
27-12-10, 22:36
Great post Micky boy....what a fantastic thing to do visiting the ward on Xmas day..I get feelings like that too. Im so wrapped up in this bundle of groaning and moaning and feeling sorry for myself, then something puts it all into perspective, and I count my blessings. Some of those kids may not make it, God love them for showing us what real bravery and courage facing illness really mean x:hugs:

mick_uk
27-12-10, 22:38
Mind you, I do the hospital radio most saturdays and I'd hate to think how many patients i've killed with my jokes :wacko:

bottleblond
27-12-10, 22:39
OMG Mick!!! You are amazing mate :hugs:

looking4answers
27-12-10, 22:40
Sounds like a wonderful ideal.. It probably do me worlds of good to visit the children and take time with them. I seem to remember that I had an aunt that had a trauma happen to her and this is exactly what she started doing and helping others ..it helped her a lot..I think its wonderful you did this. Michael

mick_uk
27-12-10, 22:42
I wonder why the BBC have never asked me to be a DJ. Is it because I start the show with "hang on to your bedpans" :shrug:

paula lynne
27-12-10, 22:43
GOLD STAR FOR MICK!!! x:yesyes:
I decided not to send any xmas cards, and donated money to Myton Hospice in Warwick, who looked after my mum-in-law in her final days. It felt so good to help...will be donating more during the year to various charities, (not you Mick):winks: cos lets face it, we all have enough money really to survive and live relatively comfortable lives...and my family live on £80 a week......give people...if feels GOOD!!! Yeh....x

bottleblond
27-12-10, 22:45
I wonder why the BBC have never asked me to be a DJ. Is it because I start the show with "hang on to your bedpans" :shrug:

I can so see you beside me Scott Mills poppet :hugs:

mick_uk
27-12-10, 22:45
Nice one Paula :yesyes:

bottleblond
27-12-10, 22:52
Scott Mills, Becky, one that doesn't speak and Mick uk! blissss lol:yesyes:

happycamper
27-12-10, 22:54
Totally with you there Mick.

I'm a children's nurse and worked many Christmases, it's very humbling indeed....

Although on the plus side, whilst working at a big Children's Hospital, had the pleasure of meeting a few well known faces doing their 'good will' visits at Christmas. My fave was Robbie Williams. ;)

mick_uk
27-12-10, 23:00
The nurses work really hard on the childrens ward. Well every ward, but they make it a good christmas for the kids :D

debs71
28-12-10, 00:56
:yesyes:

I used to love working Xmas on the ward. We had a great excuse to let rip with some seasonal silliness in a serious environment with all us nurses in our reindeer antlers.

Although it was hard for the kids to be there at Xmas, it was still made merry for them with presents and a bear for each child donated by Harrods of all places. I was also stunned every year by the kindness of the public and how many brand new toys, games, etc. were donated to the ward by both members of the public and companies.

As you say Mick, it is a truly humbling experience to be there.

God bless you for doing so voluntarily Mick.xxx:hugs:

ditzygirl
28-12-10, 11:03
Mick - what a lovely way to spend xmas, I am beginning to think life can be cool if you give your time, there are so many folk worse off than us.
I have to say if I had a house big enough I would have a house full of lonely old people for xmas - people don't seem to have time for them!

Oh and you DJ antics sound fab to me.

What a star you arex

Hazel B
28-12-10, 18:58
Mick, there's no end to your talents and humanity, you're a special guy.:D

mick_uk
28-12-10, 19:19
Did me as much good as it did them :D
Gave me a bit of a wake up call. Made me realise what a woose I'd been lately.
Plus I got to kiss the nurses under the mistletoe (apart from Gavin.....he was too shy) :D

bottleblond
28-12-10, 21:15
Awww naughty Gavin! Did you promise no tongues?

mick_uk
28-12-10, 23:37
Go to the naughty step again :yellowcard:

HarrogateChris
28-12-10, 23:49
I think we ought to show ourselves a little more compassion, I live in Harrogate, I have a good job and I own a yacht. I'm depressed.

I'm depressed because I have a mental illness not because I don't appreciate the wonderful hand life has dealt me. We shouldn't feels sorry for ourselves, but neither should we feel shame or guilt because others have different problems.

Chris

mick_uk
29-12-10, 08:55
Well, I felt ashamed that I was wallowing in my self pity. Sometimes we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and do something about it. Playing with those kids who were far worse off than me opened my eyes up to how easy it is to get into the 'poor me' mode.
It can be hell suffering from anxiety, I can vouch for that, and I'm not belittling anyones mental health problems, but I think the more we sink into the 'poor me' mode the deeper we go down. Look at the success stories on here, nearly everyone used a positive attitude to get out of it. It's not easy,but I think we tend to spend too much time feeling sorry for ourselves. I certainly have done in the past. Not anymore.
I know I get on some peoples nerves with my 'silly' postings and threads, but I just got sick to death of reading the constant streams of negative postings. I really do believe that to get better we need to stop feeling so sorry for ourselves.
Sorry for the rant.

ps: I have a good job, good friends and family but I don't have a yacht yet. I do however look stunning in a mankini.

mick_uk
29-12-10, 09:25
This was the point of my thread. There was this little girl in a wheelchair in the ward. She was eight years old, frail, underweight and with tubes and leads connecting up to every part of her.
And she wet herself laughing as we had a pretend fight with a huge foam hammer.
And what was I thinking at the time, "I hope i don't catch a bug in here. I hope I don't have a panic attack, I hope I can drive home ok"
Her condition just put my problems in perspective that's all.

JaneC
29-12-10, 10:28
I totally understand what you were trying to say Mick - and I totally agree. Of course our problems are real and just as disabling in their way as some other conditions but IMO focusing too much on them too much can only be harmful. I've been feeling really rubbish (can't stop crying, suicidal thoughts, all that jazz) so nobody needs to tell me how bad this thing can be. I have an illness that I wouldn't wish on anybody but I can still call to mind the situations of a few people very dear to me and appreciate that there are others who are worse off. I know that people have to deal with their mental health issues in different ways but I do think that there are a lot of people on here (and I'm not thinking of you, Chris) whose health would benefit from them obsessing less about themselves.

And I do appreciate your humourous posts Mick, even if I rarely reply because I can't think of anything funny to say. :hugs: to you

HarrogateChris
29-12-10, 11:50
Look at the success stories on here, nearly everyone used a positive attitude to get out of it. It's not easy,but I think we tend to spend too much time feeling sorry for ourselves.
I know I get on some peoples nerves with my 'silly' postings and threads,
I do however look stunning in a mankini.

Apologies Mick, I wasn't having a pop at you or your fun threads. :blush: You're absolutely right about the importance of being positive and not getting into a spiral of self-pity. I was just concerned that one common reaction to depression and anxiety from people who don't get it is that we should "stop feeling sorry for ourselves" and we can do ourselves a lot of harm if we try and follow that advice and deny our problems.

As far as the mankini goes - I don't see it in your profile pic - dare you! :D

And what was I thinking at the time, "I hope i don't catch a bug in here. I hope I don't have a panic attack, I hope I can drive home ok"
Her condition just put my problems in perspective that's all.

I think children are the most amazing individuals, they are so accepting and just get on with living in the moment. There's a lesson for us! You may have been anxious, but you were there being hit with the hammer. I don't think you should feel ashamed, you were doing the opposite of self-pity you were facing your anxiety and not letting it take charge.

Chris

t0rt01se36
29-12-10, 12:10
I have an online female friend who because of her disabilities has to spend nearly the whole of each day, in a wheelchair.

She is so inspirational because she is so strong minded and gets on with things, the best she can. We both have the same health condition but she has it worse than me, probably because of her other disabilities.

In 2011 I am going to stop being so lazy and not rely on certain people that have been getting me down.

Thanks to my friend, I will hopefully be a better person, with more confidence.

mick_uk
29-12-10, 12:14
Thnx jane :D

Apologies Mick, I wasn't having a pop at you or your fun threadsNo, I know you wasn't Chris, you seem a really nice bloke. It was just that I got a bit of a wake up call with those kids and it made me examine myself a bit more. I spent a lot of time this year feeling sorry for myself, and with some justification, but I've decided to be a bit more positive now. I know my post came across a bit preachy, but I'm not too good at serious posts :D
take care mate

mick

HarrogateChris
29-12-10, 17:28
I've decided to be a bit more positive now.

I think the trick to being positive is not to try and force yourself to be upbeat, but to spot when you're being down on yourself and give yourself a break.

You may not feel good at serious posts, I need to stop taking life so seriously :hugs:

Chris

Magic
04-01-11, 15:03
Hope this gets to Mick_uk.
You must be a very caring man. Have not seen any posts from you lately are you ok?. I don't think of the things you say as silly.you are a cheerer upa for me anyway.I think this is the best site ever NMP,wish I found it sooner. I know quite a lot of folk who are so selfish,and seem to have perfect lives,perfect children,perfect holidays,etc.and all they think about is themselves and talk about fashion labels travel the whole country to get a perfect pair of shoes.Would they do what you do, NO
keep it up Mick.We all want a profile pictureX

allergyphobia
04-01-11, 15:15
ps: I have a good job, good friends and family but I don't have a yacht yet. I do however look stunning in a mankini.

Mick :roflmao: