PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm new too!!

ruthless
23-03-06, 14:33
Hi everyone
Am new to posting in these type of forums although I have suffered from anxiety/panic for many years off and on. I have been taking Cipralex for nearly 3 weeks now and not feeling too good at the moment, although I am well aware that this medication can take some time before it starts "kicking in". I have done the rounds previously with fluoxetine,effexor,cipramil etc, but as soon as I start to feel ok, I stop taking them regularly, and then eventually get back to the horrible panicky,repeated awful thoughts again. Don't know if the tablets just don't work for me, or if I just don't take them properly!!
Anyway, I have a few days off work now (holiday) and feeling pretty rough. Am generally fine while at work.. I have decided to do some research into Medication, Counselling, Therapy. Am very ashamed of my feelings and keep it mainly bottled up, and I now have got to the stage where I know I have to try to sort myself out in other ways than just medication alone. I have been looking at some of the self help tapes on the internet and also reading material to buy. I am very sceptical however. I want help but I don't know where to start. So much info, and I know some of the claims of help are false (though I would love to believe) Also I would be glad of any information on how to go about looking for a Psychiatrist or Therapist. I had been referred to one on the NHS and saw him once, but I got put off when he told me I was entitled to approx 6 sessions. He was ok, but I have this underlying feeling of "what if they can't help"
I think I would feel more comfortable with a private Psychiatrist.
I realize how mixed up I sound, but I hope that joining this site may be the first steps to the road of recovery. I also hope to be able to help other people by sharing some of my experiences

Alexandra
23-03-06, 14:39
Hi Ruth

Welcome to the forum.

Ive also go through panic attacks & anxiety & now agoraphobia.
So you are not alone.

You will fnd lots of help & support on here

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

lildutt
23-03-06, 14:39
hi and welcome

you will get plenty of help and advice from this fourm
im sorry i cant help you on any of the things you have asked cus ive only been on the fourm for a couple of months

someone be along to answer your question soon and give you the advice you want hun

bell x

trac67
23-03-06, 15:43
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Have you asked your doctor about a course of CBT as this can help a great deal.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

razzamatazz
23-03-06, 16:23
Hi welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie too!

With regard to NHS v private psychiatrist, I was referred privately as my GP didn't rate the NHS shrink!

You are right about the limited number of appointments you get NHS.

I would recommend going privately, it isn't cheap mine cost £150 for 1st appt for assessment and is £111 each subsequent visit, I was going every 2 weeks but now it's every 6-8 weeks, I have struggled to pay for it but it is worth every penny just to feel 'normal' again - whatever normal is :D

I have another health problem which contributes to depression, I have a pituitary tumour & no other pituitary function (I had surgery but they left the tumour and destroyed the rest of the pituitary[Duh!]) so I have ongoing problems but with my depression under control I am back at work full time :)

Nicki xxx

Today is the first day of the rest of your life...make it count!

Karen
23-03-06, 18:04
Hi Ruthless

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

With regard to finding a therapist you could try the BABCP (http://www.babcp.org.uk/#http___www_babcp_org_uk_) register. Fees vary in different parts of the country.

Also have a look at the Therapy (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=therapy) information on the home pages.

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Meg
23-03-06, 18:11
**but as soon as I start to feel ok, I stop taking them regularly, and then eventually get back to the horrible panicky,repeated awful thoughts again. Don't know if the tablets just don't work for me, or if I just don't take them properly!!**

Not the best plan of action...

I do agree with you though, that just meds are not the answer but they do provide a space that is ok for you to start to heal in. Sounds like you are ready to do that now.

Your cipralex may take about 6 weeks to kick in and you may feel more edgy in the meantime whilst you settle onto them . Do not stop them suddenly.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

sal
24-03-06, 16:47
Hi Ruth

Pleased you have found us. You will get lots of support here and with all our varied experiences we can all help each other.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

MrsCluggy
25-03-06, 19:50
Hey Ruth,

Welcome to THE FAMILY !!! This website really is just like a member of the family. You can tell your troubles to it, you can have a rant and a rave and it will always listen and never be judgemental. Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling too grand at the moment. I must stress 'at the moment' because you will get better. What I would say though is don't suddenly stop taking your meds. just because you don't think they are working. These kind of medications take a while for your body/mind to adjust to but when they do work on all cylinders, they make you feel a whole lot better and ready to really do some work on your mental attitude. I can't recommend CBT enough. I had 8 weeks of this via my GP's recommendation and the tools that you come away with really are so useful. They also give you a chance to have some group counselling and just hearing other people's stories really does make you feel that you are not alone in your predicament. I also had an initial appointment with a Psychiatrist, the result being that she recommended that I didn't go and see her again because she felt that I didn't need one and that I was fine. So, that was a relief. Don't be ashamed of your illness by any means. You wouldn't be ashamed if you had diabetes would you? This is exactly the same. Your body is telling you that it needs specific medical attention and you need to listen to your body and help it to heal.

It takes time, it won't happen overnight, but keep on the right path and you will beat it, you will get better.

Kindest regards: Jackie xx Feel free to PM me at any time. I'm always available.
:D

If the opportunity doesn't knock .... build a door.

Piglet
25-03-06, 20:33
A big welcome to the site. :)

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

seh1980
25-03-06, 21:20
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

sal
26-03-06, 00:18
Hi Ruth

How are you hun?

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".