PDA

View Full Version : Breathing problem?

phil06
28-12-10, 03:48
When I get panicky I don't seem to get full blown attacks now just episodes where my breathing shallows, I start gasping bits of air and burping...had a 10 min panic attack then started burping for 5 mins all the air.. :ohmy:

Anybody else get this? Also feels gunky at the back of my nose and feel maybe the air will get trapped or something?

Meewah
28-12-10, 07:23
Hi Phil

Just finished reading your thread on the Flu. Hope your better now.

I get this problem when I am worked up. I feel the clue is the burping. It sounds like you are gulping large quantities of air which is getting trapped.

Try lying down and breathing from your belly not your chest. Lay on hand on your stomach and one on your chest and concentrate on making the stomach hand rise and fall slowly, this should work. did for me.

Take care Matey.

Mee

phil06
23-01-11, 21:48
Does anybody feel a strain when breathing? I've started obsessing about breathing again and get shallow breathing too. Seems to just come on with no cause is it anxiety?

My nose feels blocked up abd congested and feel maybe the air won't get down properly or something?

cookie10
23-01-11, 22:00
definitely anxiety, I've had this lots of times and has been one of my main symptons. The more you worry about it the more it will remain with you, I know it's difficult but try not to give it any credibility and it will eventually subside.

Pinkangels
27-01-11, 20:24
I am very obsessed with my breathing!
I always breath shallow, and when I'm anxious, particularly in public places like my daughters school assembly where I have to sit - confined and quiet and not to draw attention to myself lol! (cant escape) I feel like I can barely breath at all. The more I think about it the worse it gets.
I'm therefore not so good at the breathing techniques as thinking so much on trying to breath "right" just freaks me out even more, and so continue to "suffocate" so to speak.

Its horrible to feel so bad about something as natural as breathing. Haven't really got any advice unfortunately, but just thought I'd let you know you're not alone, and it is related to anxiety. I do feel for you.

phil06
02-02-11, 21:23
I've had more of this lately...feel my nose is being held by a peg or from going under water swimming.

I've been like coughing and burping alot from like 30 mins of just little short breaths or gasps of panic.

Felt so much gasps I felt my breathing was strained or my chest not getting air...also getting flicking vision and lots of issues with my eyes.

Is this normal for anxiety or is it serious? Will I suddenly collapse or stop breathing? Sometimes Vicks vapour rub will fix this symptom for me to relax a little. :blush:

NervousNellie
02-02-11, 22:28
This is definitely anxiety. For the first time since I developed anxiety and panic, I started getting the breathing symptom about 2 weeks ago. I feel like I can't get enough air. Then last week, I developed constant palpitations for the first time in about 2 years! The breathing problem went away, but the palpitations came back! Now, as of the last few days, the palpitations went away and the breathing problem is back!! It's a vicious circle, but whatever way you look at it, it's anxiety. It seems like when I run out of problems to complain about, I develop a new symptom. This breathing thing was my proof! :wacko:

phil06
06-02-11, 18:00
I can't stop obsessing over my breathing...even when I try and sleep I feel short of breath it's been wasting all day..

It's making me burp alot of air out and my chest gets sore...is this really anxiety? :ohmy:

gypsywomen
06-02-11, 18:12
yes it is i know its awfull

FreeSpirit
06-02-11, 19:37
Phil..I used to be exactly the same..breathing deeply and normally but still feeling like I'm not getting enough air..about to suffocate..what helped me more than anything was sitting in front of a desk fan..bigger the better..on highest setting and spraying my face with cold water...or just splashing it.. it made the air feel so cold I could feel it going into my lungs..it might not work for everyone.. but worth a try..when you're feeling like that ANYTHING is worth a try...I know you can't spend your life in front of a fan..but for me..just knowing I could get a bit of relief now and again made me less anxious and slowly but surely I broke the vicious circle..

anx mum
06-02-11, 20:05
When I get panicky I don't seem to get full blown attacks now just episodes where my breathing shallows, I start gasping bits of air and burping...had a 10 min panic attack then started burping for 5 mins all the air.. :ohmy:

Anybody else get this? Also feels gunky at the back of my nose and feel maybe the air will get trapped or something?

Your not alone hun im struggling with breathing at mo its awful finding it hard to distrate myself from it this is the worse symptom

anx mum
06-02-11, 20:11
Your not alone hun im struggling with breathing at mo its awful finding it hard to distrate myself from it this is the worse symptom

Might try the fan im exactly the same phil and got a sore chest:weep:

phil06
06-02-11, 23:34
I've been burping more than usual..I get it when this symptom comes but this is the first time it's lasted constant for days..

nomorepanic
07-02-11, 00:14
Have either of you tried the abdominal breathing techniques I suggested?

Thumbelina
07-02-11, 01:24
I also emember that when i had very very strong physical anxiety symptoms they were always coming in Phases, like you are saying phill and mam. O e symptom would dominate over the others for days on a row. It could be breathing, headacke, palpitations, indigest, obsess thinking and etc.
One would come another would go.
I have man of them at the momwnt as well all togeher, and thinking about them fuels and feeds anxiety.

phil06
07-02-11, 02:45
I'm worried it's something like asthma as I'm short of breath all day and taking little bursts of air and burping..:ohmy:

nomorepanic
07-02-11, 11:51
Sounds like you are air swallowing then Phil

PokerFace
07-02-11, 12:10
Think I've already posted this on one of your other threads a while ago but thought I'd jus tell you again cuz it might put your mind at rest. Shortness of breath due to asthma and shortness of breath due to anxiety feel totally different. I've experienced both and it does sound to me like yours is anxiety enduced.

I had bad asthma as a child and my mum has it really bad, asthma is usually accompanied by a lot of wheezing and you can actually hear the difficulty asthma sufferers have in breathing sometimes. I can always hear my mum breathing, even when she's just sitting down or lying down. Nicola's right, you're probably just air swallowing. x

phil06
08-02-11, 22:16
I feel all gunked up at the back of my throat and short of breath like I can't breathe is it anxiety?

It's like a funny tight feeling like I can't get air in my mouth or there's something trapped..

Is this normal? :blush:

phil06
31-12-21, 03:12
It’s been a while since I posted this but the breathing and panic attacks are my main symptom. Just can’t shake this anxiety off i become so focused on breathing shallowing air which makes me burp anybody else have this?

Scass
31-12-21, 17:31
I think it’s possibly hyperventilating? Try cupping your hands over your mouth and nose and breathing into them for about 5 in and out breaths. No need to rush it, just try and breathe as normally as possible. You can do it for longer if it feels nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jo569
26-02-22, 19:46
Thank you for that tip!. I had HA about 3 years ago and I still feel like someone is sitting on my chest even though I no longer have it, so this has really helped. It's like I need to learn how to breathe again.