PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about Health Anxiety

pooh
28-12-10, 12:48
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1342043/It-costs-NHS-200m-year-make-seriously-ill-Who-says-hypochondria-just-joke.html

nomorepanic
28-12-10, 13:30
This bit was interesting...

‘Most people with health anxiety are already suffering from a genuine medical condition — most frequently a thyroid problem or diabetes, bowel disorder or heart disease,’ says psychiatrist Professor Peter Tyrer, head of the Centre for Mental Health at Imperial ­College ­Medical School.

I have both bowel disorder and heart disease yet I don't suffer with HA at all.

kirstyt
28-12-10, 13:38
Thats a great article.but what i dont get is the bit about health anxiety patients have something wrong with them.ive had tests dun and ive been told im healthy!im worriec now!

pooh
28-12-10, 14:57
I wouldn't worry Kirsty, not all people have something underlying and not all people who experience health issues develop health anxiety, as Nic says above. What caught my attention was how doctors deal with the subject of HA.

Magic
28-12-10, 15:47
hi there
I have the same problems as Nichola but I suffer from HA because I don't want anything to happen to me because I know I will be missed for the things I do for my family. I don't sit about crying all the time about it though.
regards to everyone