PDA

View Full Version : A question on Mirtazapine

ash1807
28-12-10, 13:45
After a number of years on Citalopram, I have just started on Mit.

This is my 4th day on 30mg. I fully expected be sleep a lot and be very drowsy/drunk till it all settled down.

Day one was as expected, slept almost all day, subsequent days slowly getting better. This is great as I am off till the new year from work.
What I had not expected is that every joint of my body is hurting, like I am in midst of a flu bout. :mad:

Has anyone experienced this, or is it flu. I have no other symptoms like runny nose, temperature etc

I am also very slowly comiong off citalopram

Reg
Ash

KK77
28-12-10, 15:55
I've read before about Mirt causing joint pain in some people but I wouldn't worry unless it continues relentlessly. I don't recall ever having it when I was on it but I never took 30mg - I was on 15mg. It just made me feel drowsy and "out of it" so I stopped taking it.

Give it some time to settle and if the pain continues, go back to your prescribing doctor for advice.

ash1807
28-12-10, 18:05
Thanks MM for your swift reply.

The one other issue I am currently struggling since start of Mirts, is terrble Restless legs. I hate it when I am totally dosed up and cant keep my eyes open...but can't sleep coz of RLS

The joys of Anti-depressants !

KK77
28-12-10, 18:18
Oh I know ... the joys indeed! Sometimes I wonder...

There are also reports of mirt causing RLS, but again, I don't think it's very common and it's probably due to the increased dose. I'm sure it'll subside soon as your body adjusts.

Good luck in the meantime though - I do sympathise. I'm on sertraline and it wasn't pleasant in the beginning...

ElizabethJane
28-12-10, 21:15
Dear Ash I have been taking mirtazapine for two years and have not experienced the side effects that you describe. If they do not settle in three weeks or so I suggest that you go back to your GP. I am on 45mg at night. EJ.

ash1807
28-12-10, 22:35
Hi Jane,

Did you not experiance any lethargy, drowsiness dring the startup of this medication?

Reg
Ash

JB63
29-12-10, 10:21
I suffered awful joint pain for the first 6 weeks on mirt. It has settled down now but was awful at the time. My Doctor said it can happen in some people and told me to stick with it. I did and have never looked back. Maybe a chat with your GP will put your mind at rest and always best to check.

haziefantasie
29-12-10, 13:05
Hi ash

I am also on mirt, I was on 15mg for just over 4 wks and have now been on 30mg for just under 3 wks. I have also been achy, especially when I first started taking it and when the dose was increased. I have also been lethargic and drowsy, again at these times. But these side effects have gradually eased off and it has had a positive affect on my mood so ive stuck with it.

Like the others have said if youre worried go back to your gp but for me the positives far outweigh the negatives, hopefully they will for you too x

ElizabethJane
29-12-10, 18:17
Hi Jane,

Did you not experiance any lethargy, drowsiness dring the startup of this medication?

Reg
Ash
I experienced drowsiness continuing in the daytime for the first few weeks of being on the mirt. This did not occur the second time I was put on it. This drowsiness and spaced out feeling does not last however.It should go within two to three weeks. I hope that the mirt works out for you. It has been very good for me in alleviating my depression. I am currently stable. EJ

ash1807
29-12-10, 21:41
Thank you all for your replies and certainly eases my worry about this med.
I will just hang on till it all settles down

btw, anybody suffer from blinding headaches whilst in the startr up time? I am having an usually sever ones that last the whole day

xxxx

JulieM
02-01-11, 15:02
Hi Ash, Im just starting out on 15mg of Mirtazapine taken at night, and after 5 weeks its still making me feel drowsy at night, and giving me a dry mouth in the morning, but its also the best of all the ADs I have tried at controling my anxiety and depression.
I do get some fuzzy head feelings with it, but nothing that could be classed as a raging headache. The drowsyness doesnt bother me as im retired and can afford to have a snooze when i need to, and without the Mirt, I was lucky to sleep more than a couple of hours a night, so im just greatfull that i can sleep again.
Julia

ElizabethJane
19-01-11, 18:39
Hi Julie I have just noticed your post. The symptoms that you describe should settle down in the next few weeks. 15mg is a low starter/maintenance dose which will help you sleep. The higher doses ie 30-45mg might not necessarily help you sleep. I remember that sleepy feeling during the day too. This will level out as your body gets used to the drug. I'm not sure about the headaches though. If they don't settle talk to your GP.EJ.

mea
26-01-11, 12:00
Hi, have just started mirt at 15mg. also coming off of sertraline. Have been soooooo tired seem to be sleeping all the time and feel drunk and light headed while awake. Also had some flu like symptoms- achy and sniffy but no other. Eating everything in sight when not asleep. Worried about this as i had lost weight before becoming ill and it is all going back on . I really do not need help from meds to make me even bigger!! Is all of this as it should be ? Will i wake up at some point? Or should i just live in my PJ's????:shrug:

ElizabethJane
26-01-11, 17:35
Hello Mea I am currently taking mirtazapine 45mg. Typically when starting on 15mg you will expect to feel drowsy sleep heavily with the drowsy feelings continuing the next day. This should get better in the next few weeks. If you stay at 15mg you will continue to sleep well at night. Mirt is very sedating in the lower doses. I'mn not sure about the stiff achy joints although some people who have taken mirt have reported this. Most of us have experienced weight gain to a lesser or greater degree. The benefits of the mirt outweigh this for me. I would suggest that you keep sugary snacks to a minimum and eat carbohydrates and low fat foods. Interesting my weight has plateaued ie I haven't continued to pile on the weight. I am within 8lbs of my desired weight after initially putting on 1 and a half stone. If you can take time off from work to allow your body to adjust to the mirt. I remember when I went on it two years ago I was exactly like you. Be kind to yourself it will get better. EJ.

ash1807
26-01-11, 17:59
Guys,
I am still on 15mgs now for 5 weeks, must admit that the initial drowsy feeling seem to be abating now. This is great as I start work fairly early, but the joint pain still seem to be me. I am happy to live with that, already feeling much better moodwise. Getting some quality sleep seem to make all the difference

I am also slowly coming off Citalopram, now almost there. The benefits of mirtz is certainly making that easier.

I still get dry mouth and eyes.

At some point I will need to up my Mirtz to 30mg, not looking forward to that:blush:

JT69
27-01-11, 10:45
Hi, have just started mirt at 15mg. also coming off of sertraline. Have been soooooo tired seem to be sleeping all the time and feel drunk and light headed while awake. Also had some flu like symptoms- achy and sniffy but no other. Eating everything in sight when not asleep. Worried about this as i had lost weight before becoming ill and it is all going back on . I really do not need help from meds to make me even bigger!! Is all of this as it should be ? Will i wake up at some point? Or should i just live in my PJ's????:shrug:

Hi Mea,

I take 15mg mirtazipine along with pregabalin for gad. The symptoms you describe are typical of when first starting....it will get better after a couple of weeks. The weight....well I put on 2 stone BUT it can be controlled if you are careful what you eat. I started to eat healthy this year and the weight is coming off now so it can be done...have a long way to go but am mentally ready for the challenge after a year and half of going through it!!!

As EJ points out and I totally agree the mental benefits far out-weigh the side effects and for me mirtazipine really helped me into a much better place...along with great sleep!!!

I wish you all the best with it.

Jo.xx

JT69
27-01-11, 10:48
Guys,
I am still on 15mgs now for 5 weeks, must admit that the initial drowsy feeling seem to be abating now. This is great as I start work fairly early, but the joint pain still seem to be me. I am happy to live with that, already feeling much better moodwise. Getting some quality sleep seem to make all the difference

I am also slowly coming off Citalopram, now almost there. The benefits of mirtz is certainly making that easier.

I still get dry mouth and eyes.

At some point I will need to up my Mirtz to 30mg, not looking forward to that:blush:

Hello Ash,

Glad that you are benefiting from mirtazipine...I know it really helped me. Just wanted to say that when I went up to 30mg from 15mg I hardly had any side effects, just the benefit from taking it...we are all different but you may not notice anything.

Great that you are coming off the citalopram and doing it slowly as this is key with this med...I took it for a number of years on and off before taking mirt and when coming off could do it without any withdrawal as long as I did it really slowly...the mirtazipine will probably help ease the withdrawal effects anyhow.

Take care.
Jo.xx

purelavender
29-01-11, 20:36
I have been on Mirtazapine for over 2 months. 8 weeks on 15mg. and about a week on 22.5 mg.The restless legs can improve with time. I eat a banana a day for potassium and i also wrap a heating pad around my legs atleast an hour before bed. Both of these changes made a big difference. I hope this helps.