PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I breathe properly?! help!

punkprincess19
28-12-10, 23:01
it's been months now and my breathing has gotten worse and worse... it started with a winded feeling every now and then, now it's all the time and it's scaring me to death! I woke up this morning and my lungs and chest hurt so bad, like I'd inhaled acid! It's getting me really down and I'm finding everyday a struggle! the doctors seem like they can't be bothered with me anymore! ive been prescribed Clomipramine but I can't take them as I'm scared that they're going to make it worse (I had bad experiences with antidepressants earlier in the year and also with Tramadol - can't even take paracetamol now!)

Does anyone else get this? It feels like im being winded and the air is pushed out of my lungs and I can't breathe for a second or two. my chest feels tight and I get sharp pains as well as pressure/tight feeling right in the centre. Also feel like there is phlegm in my windpipe but can't move it!

I'm convinced there is something seriously wrong with me and I NEED to get it sorted and get my life back! I can't eat/drink, sleep and I hardly leave the house unless I really have to! I need to be with someone all the time because I'm scared I might stop breathing! someone please help! :weep:

kayleigh
28-12-10, 23:21
hiya
iknow how you feel im exactly the same i find it worse at night i feel like im just going to stop breathing at any moment and i feel like i cant feel my pulse :blush: i always ask mypartner to make sure he checks on me when i eventually fall asleep....
but everymorning i wake up still here............its anxiety im sure of it :hugs:

uk23
28-12-10, 23:55
"lungs and chest hurt so bad, like I'd inhaled acid" - that sounds exactly like reflux to me which can be caused by anxiety.

Infact everything you have listed sounds like reflux, you could try an experiment - pop down to boots and grab some Zantac, take one and give it 20 minutes, if that helps then its most likely reflux.

The reason you would have that burning lung sort of feeling is because the acid comes up then goes down the wind pipe which can give you a sore throat, make you lose your voice, lung pain, sharp pains, chest tightness etc.

nomorepanic
28-12-10, 23:57
I agree with uk23. My other half had problems breathing and we called out an ambulance and in hospital they prescribed him omeprazole which treats acid indigestion amongst other things.

punkprincess19
29-12-10, 09:56
Thanks for the replies, I'll try that! I've tried rennies before, is Zantac stronger? Never thought that acid reflux could cause trouble with breathing! :/

pd
29-12-10, 11:15
Acid reflux can cause breathing difficulties and chest pain.

Rennies are basically calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate with peppermint oil. The calcium and magnesium carbonate work to neutralise the acid in your stomach, and peppermint oil helps with feeling sick.

Zantac is a brand name of a drug called renitadine, that inhibits production of stomach acid, available over the counter from pretty much all chemists. It's more effective than rennies, in my experience. Omnaprozole/Lanzoprazole are prescription only drugs, which do a similar thing, I've found they work much better at suppressing the acid than renitadine, although you typically take them as a course of treatment, rather than just whenever you feel pain.