PDA

View Full Version : Panic over whether heart problem or indegestion

hazy
29-12-10, 07:43
Since Christmas Day night I have had a weird heartburn, indegestion type sensation and due to my irrational panic attacks over health matters I don't know whether its nothing.

Right in the centre of my chest I have a dull ache, uncomfortable but not severely painful, this goes right through my chest into the centre of my back, I also have like a sensation (burp/gas) feeling in my throat. I don't have a temperature but am getting myself worked up over it. I am scared to go to the Doctor but also feel I must to put my mind at ease, can anyone shade any light because my panic attacks often throw up weird symptoms of a nothing illness if that makes sence? Thanks

phw
29-12-10, 08:21
Hi there!

You are not alone! I have the same issue and it gets worse when I am anxious.

Firstly, I have this painful, stabbing like pain in the middle of my chest. This pain goes right along my left shoulder blade and then spreads to my back and my left ribcage. Being of the panicky kind, we have to understand that this is part of the whole deal.

I have read up about this and I can assure you that you are fine. The 2 main reaons for these feelings are:

1. Indigestion (sometimes linked with IBS)
2. Costochondritis (Inflammation of the ribs and cage)

Have a look on the internet. You will find that the symptoms you have are all linked to panick and anxiety and NOT YOUR HEART!

I hate it when my mind plays tricks on me. I often break out in a sweat when I get these pains, thinking I am having a heart attack. It is really a question of mind over matter!

You will be fine. Get some anti-acids (Gaviscon). Be careful of anti-inflammatory medication because that will relieve the pain in your ribcage but it will upset your digestive system.

All the best for 2011!

H

hazy
29-12-10, 08:32
Thank you, reassurance is the key to my well being. My biggest fear I suppose is putting a symptom down to panic/anxiety or whether it is actually real, how the heck do you know? My mind plays so many tricks on me and ignoring it sometimes is the hardest hurdle to overcome. I have looked up various things on the net and it comes up with Pluracy, on coming heart attack, gall blader you name it and trying to ignore this is really hard to do, especially when my symptoms match those of something more serious....... I hate going to the Doctors when its for something unexplained as I am terrified he will send me to hospital and I will have a kick ass panic attacks, stuck between a rock and a hard place. Thanks though your words help.

ewood79
29-12-10, 08:50
Hi there!

You are not alone! I have the same issue and it gets worse when I am anxious.

Firstly, I have this painful, stabbing like pain in the middle of my chest. This pain goes right along my left shoulder blade and then spreads to my back and my left ribcage. Being of the panicky kind, we have to understand that this is part of the whole deal.

I have read up about this and I can assure you that you are fine. The 2 main reaons for these feelings are:

1. Indigestion (sometimes linked with IBS)
2. Costochondritis (Inflammation of the ribs and cage)

Have a look on the internet. You will find that the symptoms you have are all linked to panick and anxiety and NOT YOUR HEART!

I hate it when my mind plays tricks on me. I often break out in a sweat when I get these pains, thinking I am having a heart attack. It is really a question of mind over matter!

You will be fine. Get some anti-acids (Gaviscon). Be careful of anti-inflammatory medication because that will relieve the pain in your ribcage but it will upset your digestive system.

All the best for 2011!

H

Im hearing both of you!!!! Why does our mind play so many tricks on us!!!!

I use to get reflux but im on Pariet now...20mg a day..... helps with GORD......... its amazing stuf!!!

I went to the doc before and my blood pressure with him was high then went to the nurses and it was normal........ cant take a trick!!!!!

phw
29-12-10, 09:59
I think the most important is that we understand and accept that we have a "different" way of thinking. I always wish that my mind could be as positive as it is negative!

What angers me most is the fact that we know better and yet the anxiety takes over our lives!

I have been for therapy and the one thing I wil always remember is that anxiety brings on a tremendous amount of "feelings". That's all they are : Feelings. It is not easy to comprehend when you are actually experiencing those feelings. It feels as real as this chair I am sitting on! It is also a bit deflating to know that others don't fully understand. I feel like an idiot to sometimes explain to people what I am going through....

What I do know is that every day is unique and gas its own challenges. Just ride the wave, you'll soon feel different!!

H