PDA

View Full Version : Borderline underactive Thyroid

Del1970
29-12-10, 12:41
When my bloods results fully came back on thursday my Doc rang to say I was aneamic and my thyroid was Borderline underactive again, I have been showing lots of symptoms that I had put down to anxiety....but apprently when the thyroid is upset it can cause anxiety, I have the hair loss, dry skin, dry thoat and sometimes hoarse voice, tiredness, palpatations...my anxiety is through the roof even though the Propranolol has been upped from 10mg to 40mg but that was mainly for high BP, My doc has given me Ferrous Sulphate (Iron tablets) for the aneamia but because I said "Its through taking the 100mg Thyroxine whilst pregnant that the Hypertension started causing probs and sent my BP soaring as well as triggering anxiety off again" I said IT'S ONLY BORDERLINE!! I think I was more anxious because my thyroid went from being underactive to overactive so I started loosing weight and my unborn baby failed to grow from 30weeks so I had an emergency ceasarian at 36weeks when it was detected and even though healthy, my little boy was only 3lb 3oz! and sent to SCBU, I did'nt get to see him for 2days whilst they was trying to steady my BP
I first started out on just 25mg Thyroxine because I had all the symptoms bad even though it was Borderline then it was only when they found I was pregnant last time and aparently ALL pregnant woman go on 100mg thyroxine, instead of looking at individual cases!, but because of all my symptoms and an up n coming ECG test I dunno wether to ask my doc for the 25mg Thyroxine to see if it helps, I'm deffinately not pregnant....so ..........What would any of you do?

countrygirl
29-12-10, 13:39
I worked as an advisor for thryoid info charity and in Uk it is not normal for pregnant women to up their dose of thryoxine while pregnant unless their blood tests say they need to??? I did not look at your flag are you not from UK???

If you are borderline then it would make sense to start on the lowest dose of thryoxine and in a month have a repeat blood test and see how the result has changed. Maybe you could ask your Gp if you could do this.

Thyroxine is fine as long as you have regular blood tests - I insist on one at least every 6 months but I know most Gp say once a year but this is far too long as alot can change in a short time. Your thryoid levels change even during one day but obviously we cannot like a diabetic test our levels daily so at least every 6 months is next best thing.

If you have any questions please ask.

Del1970
29-12-10, 14:07
Yes i'm from the UK, nobody would listen to me when I was pregnant and I said I did'nt want to go on 100mg because I was only borderline and nothing too serious but they insisted that its what pregnant women must be on and did'nt even give me a blood test.

I'm deffinately going to ask my doc for the 25mg and see how it goes, when I first got the 25mg I was checked every 4 weeks at my doctors and it was enough for me then the hospital also used to check every 3month too, I was warned a good while back that I could have thyroid problems due to the radiotherapy I recieved for Hodgkins Lymphoma around my neck area.

Thanks for your reply
I'll keep you posted on what happens and may have to seek your advice too
Adele
x

countrygirl
29-12-10, 16:44
Thanks Adele for replying and telling me about the pregnant women bit as the advice charity did not know this info and I will pass it on to them. Very interesting or maybe you just got a strange hospital!

amandy1979
29-12-10, 18:54
hi, not sure if i can help but, i have an underactive thyroid, it happened while i was pregnant with my oldest child, my levels were so bad the doctor couldnt believe i was still going on as normal. I have have 3 kids since and taken thyroxine throughout at levels up tp 175 of thyroxine, currently im on 150mg and have been for ages. I still have symptoms of underactive thyroid but this is normal apparently some symptoms never really get better and thats ok for me, the anxiety is just me i think not the thyroid. If the doctor is offering you the thyroxine i would take it if i were you, as even a small dose can be helpful and its got no side effects. I would imagine it would help alot with the hair loss and tiredness as i remember after a few weeks i felt much better.

mayonnaise
16-05-12, 10:09
I have all the symptoms of underactive thyroid, the worst being really heavy periods with flooding etc and pain and lasting 8 days. I have been tested for menopause and this was negative along with a scan for fibroids which was also negative. I have had four blood tests this past year and each have been borderline. It is driving me insane with all the other symptoms but each docs appointment, am told to get another test done in three months. Anyone else had the same experience and stop me from going insane if not already. Thank you.