PDA

View Full Version : Worse anxiety on a morning

Wildmage
29-12-10, 13:00
Does anyone else have worse anxiety thoughts on a morning when just waking up. Why is this?

I always tend to feel worse when waking up or when I have not slept very well. Is this just because I am tired or have been dreaming or what? I get some good days when I am fine and then all of a sudden bam, the anxiety and panic come back and make me feel like I am never going to get over these.

All I want to do is move forward with my life and get rid of this feeling, so I can lead a normal life again. :shrug:

Emma (aka) Wildmage

HVC
29-12-10, 13:19
The mornings have always been the worse for me to when I'm having a bout of Anxiety. Even if I've had a good relaxing evening and gone off to sleep ok I wake up with the horrible rush of adreniline going through my body.. the sensation is like my blood is really hot and sheer panic.. horrible feeling I know. Are you taking medication at the moment Emma ??

Helen x

feelingbad
29-12-10, 16:04
The mornings are always worse for me too. I wake up filled with dread and can hardly drag myself out of bed. Some evenings I will feel quite relaxed and think 'great, tomorrow I will be better' but as soon as I wake I remember how ill I've been over the last weeks and my anxiety hits me like a hot poker!!

bmccartney
29-12-10, 18:23
the mornings are absolutely the worse time of day for me too...and have no idea why! hope someone knows!

HarrogateChris
29-12-10, 18:45
I used to find mornings really hard, especially if I hadn't slept well. I think it's a very common experience.

:hugs:

Chris

katiebean
29-12-10, 19:43
Hi,
I was going to ask the same question! My anxiety can be crippling in the mornings.I shake, feel incredibly nauseous and just can't relax. After lunchtime the anxiety slowly trickles away until i feel reasonably normal in the evening. I can't decide if it's a chemical thing or if I 'expect' it to happen. i'm going to try and have a slice of toast as soon as I wake tommorow in the hope that a bit of lining in the stomach might help combat some of the adrenaline!!

jothenurse
30-12-10, 02:27
Mornings are awful for me. I think my counselor once told me that it's because your defense mechanisms are down when you wake up and so that the panic/anxiety just flows in and you're not awake enough to put your defenses up. When I first wake up I think that I just don't know how I'm going to get to work, I feel depressed, and panicky. At night I usually feel pretty "normal." It's always hard when that morning dread feeling hits you.

Wildmage
30-12-10, 13:23
I am taking Dosulepin, which is an anti-depressent and this helped with the depression, but find it does not help the anxiety. I have also recently started taking a herbal remedy (Bach Rescue Remedy), which is helping to calm me down.

I was told that mornings are worse because sugar levels were low, as not eaten anything since night before and also because of defenses being low when waking up.

I try and distract myself by listening to radio and singing along with songs or watching tv, but it usually takes me a couple of hours to feel less shaky. I hate feeling like this, I just want to think normal thoughts...

Emma (aka) wildmage

JohnBliss
30-12-10, 20:27
My anxiety is also at its worst first thing in the morning and I put it down to the fact that the "inner voice" within you has had free reign whilst you are asleep with nothing to challenge it ,accept it or distract it.I just tell myself that this is the worst I will feel all day and get on with the day or if it is really bad tell the "inner voice " to do its worst. This seems to take the edge off the anxiety and stop the panic attack before it starts.
Best wishes
John

southernmagpie
01-01-11, 16:55
I often tend to suffer in the mornings when i've not slept well. The lack of sleep means you have less energy to deal with any worries or anxieties and i think that's why they seem a lot worse....doesn't make it any easier to deal with tho'.

Phoenix27
01-01-11, 18:49
I too tend to get it worse in the mornings. I agree with the theory that our natural defences are down in the morning, especially during the winter months when the mornings are darker.

I generally feel better in the evenings, even on some days where I've been stuggling with a lot of ruminating. It just seems easier to do things and push bad thoughts out of my head at night.

Stel
01-01-11, 19:46
I have had the same thing too. Especially when I am at my worst, I have woken feeling terrible like I am 'jerking' myself awake, on and off, sleeping and waking, dreams full of anxiety too. Vile. Glad I am not the only one though.

treble99
02-01-11, 19:51
I'm exactly the same in the mornings, I wake up so emotional and panicy its untrue. This happens especially if Ive had a bad dream and as soon as I wake up sometimes I'm shakin with anxiety.

Ive recently started to tell myself that not to worry as I feel like this every morning and its starting to work abit now and gradually I think the mornings are getting abit better.

P x

suzy-sue
02-01-11, 20:38
When you wake the body experiences a surge of Cortisol .This is the hormone that is called the stress hormone .It prepares you for flight or fight .If you start deep bresthing 7/11 as soon as you wake and do this for around 10 times .It will relax you and stop the Anxiety getting worse .It will take some practice to feel the full benefits .But its worked wonders for me .I have often fallen back to sleep doing this ..:blush: so it may be worth setting your alarm again ..Sue :D