PDA

View Full Version : Constant numbness in leg that doesn't ease up

PITITA
30-12-10, 00:47
Hi,

I haven't posted in a long-long time, but I am worried sick about the constant numbness and heaviness in my right leg, thighs, all the way up to the hipbone!

I have had this nagging numbness for a few months now but less noticeable and today I have been pinching my leg as it is sleeping and numb the whole day and it feels very heavy, I also can't sleep with it as it just feels restless! Its not painful but very uncomfortable!

Please someone help me! I am terrified it means a clogged vein and that I will lose my leg!!!!!

I've got 2 people in my extended network that have had that happen and they have had their leg amputated!

I am terrified!!!!!!!!!!! I have been sooo depressed today, I don't even want to live if that's what's awaiting me :weep::weep:

Somebody please help, I am literally sick with worry and bad thoughts!!!!

PITITA
30-12-10, 00:50
Also, I forgot to mention that I have a lot of pressure in my head and I worry it's all to do with bad circulation and I am going to have a stroke! My father had died after a stroke and his circulation collapsed too! :weep:

So sorry for the dramatic post, I am just soo scared! xx

Olneythelonely
30-12-10, 00:59
I have the weakness in my right leg (used to be the left) and a constant annoying headache lasting for 5 days so far. I presume it's all linked to anxiety. I hope it improves for you.

PITITA
30-12-10, 01:04
Hi Olney,

Thank you so much for your reply!

When you say weakness in your leg, what do you mean by that? My leg is actually constantly numb like the blood just doesn't flow through it or something! :-(

xx

Olneythelonely
30-12-10, 01:09
Mine isn't numb as such but it feels like a struggle to walk on it, although I always get where I'm going. My headache is sort of like a tight band, or something pressing down on my head.

kirstyt
30-12-10, 01:50
So sorry to hear about ur dad!my mum suffered a massive stroke this yr but luckilh she is still here.now one of my biggest fears is havin one to.but im sure ur not!especially as u have had it for a while.my mums came with no warning at all xx

Nigel
30-12-10, 17:51
Hi Pitita,

I’m sorry, I don’t know :shrug:
...but just wanted to say ‘Hi’ :byebye: :flowers:

I hadn’t been on here much myself until a few months ago either. I hope your absence means that things are much improved now.

Have you asked your GP about it? In the absence of any real facts the mind often seems to settle on the most extreme outcome, even more so when there’s some real life evidence to back it up. But more often that not there’s a perfectly ordinary explanation that your doctor could reassure you of.

Also, the mind is very good at creating symptoms when a person spends a lot of time thinking about them, and this could be making something trivial feel far worse than it really is.

Take care :)
Nigel

Anxious_gal
30-12-10, 18:24
what tests have you had done? like if your leg is always numb you should get seen by a doctor .

gaaron
30-12-10, 19:35
Hi Pitita, i don't think it's anything serious. I do have that prob (not headache tho') with 'numbness'. It usually means a bit of a trapped nerve. If you've had it for a long time I would see the GP just to get it sorted. Take care x

Dizz
30-12-10, 19:57
Hiya Pitita

Like already said maybe you should see your doctor or phone NHS direct or similar and explain what you are getting to them if only to put your mind at rest.

I get heaviness down my left leg, arm and face but it's nothing to worry about I'm told. Mine doesn't actually go numb and I can still feel sensations and use my arm and leg as normal... it just doesn't feel like it is mine if you see what I mean.

Same goes for the pressure in the head... I get that too but I try to ignore it and it goes away as I know it's only stress, tension, anxiety etc and quite often poor posture and not eating or drinking properly.

This site is great but none of us are doctors so we can only compare 'symptoms' which is not the same as seeing a doctor and although it may put all our minds at rest to know others get the same thing it's always better to get a professionals opinion too x x x

Zee
30-12-10, 21:12
I suffered with this problem about 20 years ago. I had no feeling in the thigh of my leg and the hot tingling was almost painful. I saw the GP who told me after a quick check that it was my sciatic nerve causing the problem. It eased after a few weeks but even now I have flare ups ( though not so bad)..Mine is worse after damp weather and if ive been standing or walking for too long.

PITITA
30-12-10, 22:25
@ Nigel

Aww, Nigel, soo nice to hear from you! :-) Yes, I've not been on here much because things have improved greatly! I'm no longer worried I am going to go crazy or hear voices or any of that which is fab! Yesterday in a moment of panic I had to come on here and ask about the numbness as like you say, my mind immediately just jumped to the worst case scenario! I made an appointment with my GP for tomorrow, so I will make sure to get a blood test and get to the bottom of the numbness question.

@ kirstyt, mishel, gaaron, dizz

Thank you all for your lovely replies, I appreciate you taking the time to reassure me! I have made an appointment with the GP for tomorrow, I will make sure to update you all on what he says to my numb leg!

I feel a bit silly now as I didn't even think about nerves and anxiety, I immediately thought I will just lose the leg :-(

Hopefully I will get some answers tomorrow!

Thanking you all for your kind replies! xxx

PITITA
30-12-10, 22:29
@ Zee

Thank you for your reply Zee! Gosh I didn't even think it could be a nerve, it is really reassuring to know that you've had a similar symptom and it didn't end up being something serious or irreversible!

I will let you know what the GP comes back with! xx

Nigel
31-12-10, 15:28
Hi Pitita,

So it was a case of ‘no news is good news’ then. I’m so pleased for you :)
I’m sure others who read that will find it inspiring too – that things can and do get better.

Best of luck for your GP appointment :yesyes:
Nigel

gaaron
31-12-10, 18:08
Pitita, Hope all was well at the docs. Take care x

yvonne_uk_98
31-12-10, 18:26
Hi Pitita,

sorry to hear your having problems with numb leg, I hope you get on well at you gp's.

I had this same problem years ago, I went to my gp's about it, and was sent for tests, after all the tests, I was told it was stress related. I was stressed about something so bad, that my leg went numb which was causing me such problems. as soon as I dealt with the problem that caused me such stress, the numb in my leg stopped.

I never let anything get me into that state of the much stress again. not worth getting that stressed.

Yvonne

PITITA
02-01-11, 08:06
Hi everyone!

I'm sorry my reply is slightly delayed, I had a successful visit to the GP. He reassured me that the symptoms do not indicate any major illness or ailment, but he did say he understood my worry so tried to put my mind at ease. I have asked for a blood test to further reassure myself, but it would appear that the numbness could have easily brought on by my anxiety or maybe even lack of exercise. I did promise myself that I will start exercising (yoga, swimming) regularly this year though and have slept with a pillow under my right leg and that seemed to have helped.

I am amazed at the power of anxiety! It really does make one believe all sorts!

Once again, thank you all for your wonderful support!

xx

Stav_98
02-01-11, 10:56
Hi Pitita,

I've a clotting problem and have suffered multiple events of Deep Vein Thombosis as still have my legs! I personally have never heard of anybody having a leg amputated due to clotting such as a DVT. From what I understand it's more aligned with other circulatory issues.

If you feel you might have a clot then not meaning to sound dramatic, you're best off heading to A&E or GP ASAP. Not that DVT in itself is a problem but you can get issues if the clot breaks off and passes to the heart (Pulmonary Embolism). AGAIN DON'T PANIC THOUGH! I've had this 3 times. Treatment for both of the above is a simple course of injections for a few days followed by a period of taking warfarin tablets. Really not big deal; I have to be on this treatment for life.

Other causes could stem from your back and be nerve related. Do you suffer from lower back pain at all? I get heaviness and numbness in my left leg which was thought could be post thrombotic syndrome. However, upon investigation I've got some broken bits in my lower spine which I'll be having fixed in a few months time.

If you're worried the best action really is to see your GP. The Internets are full of great information but unfortunately tend to tell you the 3 deadly horrific things it could be, as opposed to the several hundred perfectly normal and harmless things.

***EDIT

Should have read the above really!

Zee
02-01-11, 12:01
Hi Pitita, good to hear that it as eased your mind after your GP visit.. You mentioned that raising your right leg on a pillow helps.. That was also the case for me. It took the pressure off the nerve I was told. Hope it continues to improve for you.

Nigel
02-01-11, 16:43
Hi Pitita,

I’m pleased to hear that everything turned out to be OK :)

“I am amazed at the power of anxiety! It really does make one believe all sorts!”

Does anxiety really deserve so much credit? :winks:

It’s not so much the power of anxiety but the power of your mind and your imagination, because that’s where anxiety really comes from.

So if it can do all that when you misuse it, think what amazing things it could do when you use it wisely and positively :)

Take care,
Nigel

jessicalittler79
02-01-11, 16:49
hope u get better soon hun xx