PDA

View Full Version : Optical Migraine

JavaJoy01
30-12-10, 02:37
The search function never works for me and I know there is threads on this subject because I googled it with Anxiety.

While at work it started where I was reading a slide and words would disappear. The the colored zig zag lines started out of the corner of my right eye. It happened once before so now I was curious and called the eye doctor. The nurse told me what it was and told me not to worry.

Since going back on my citlopram I have been experiencing pains in my shoulders, forearms, sides and neck and now an ear ache.

This is driving me crazy because I don't know what is wrong..

jothenurse
30-12-10, 02:57
I have had the visual migraines. Where I can't read a word, or a couple of letters of a word, and then the lights like lightening. Lasts for about 20 minutes, then I get a headache.

Del1970
30-12-10, 11:22
I get them often, its a migraine aura and usually happens at the onset of a migraine coming on, since being on this Propranolol I have had a permanent headache that won't seem to go away but it says on the uses of Propranolol that they are used for migraine treatment too?? It does'nt seem to be helping mine much, so i'm assuming this must be a tension heache, its right at the front of my forehead but feels more like pressure than pain, just a dull ache, when I went to the docs with it because I was permanently dizzy n off balance he said I had high BP n upped the dosage of the Propranolol to 40mg, I have only taken half that ammount today though because I am getting really fed up of symptoms of things!

I can't seem to stand the lights on either and my eyes seem different like they are always trying to focus so i've started to squint a lot!

JohnBliss
30-12-10, 20:37
I regularly get the zig zag lightning effect . I have been told too that they are just optical migraines and are nothing to worry about. It seems to happen to me when I suddenly expose my eyes to a dramatic change in light
Regards
John

JaneC
31-12-10, 01:24
Hi Joy, just to add a bit more reassurance that it's really nothing to worry about. I've had ocular migraines a couple of times now. The first really freaked me out but once I knew what it was, having another didn't bother me at all. Take care x

leanne1980
01-01-11, 00:33
Hi
i started getting these too when i was pregnant with my son 6 years ago, i used to think they were usually when i was due on, but recently they have just started out of the blue. Ive been having mine for so long that im sure if something was gonna happen it would have already.
I would say i get one 3 times a year maybe a little more, i had one on christmas day just as my dinner was ready, and before that was aug, i remember coz i was out having a meal for my wedding anniversary. Try not to worry its really nothing to panic about.

Leanne xx

lauren6
01-01-11, 00:59
I hope you're not worried about the migraine...I have had them for 40 years and exactly how you describe it, starts in the corner of my eye, then builds for 20 minutes. Silver zig zags all over now. All of a sudden, a letter from a written word is missing. About 25 minutes after that, my vision is back to normal but a little weird spacy feeling, sometimes a headache, sometimes none at all. I actually got to the point where I enjoy the light show! Unless I am outside and can't cross the street because I can't see where I'm going. My migraines are ALWAYS brought on by stress. I don't know why you're getting the pains though. Did you look up the side effects. I'm sure you'll talk to your doctor about that, hopefully, they can switch you to something else.