PDA

View Full Version : Is this a migraine or something more?

scaredycatx
30-12-10, 11:25
Hey all,

I hope you are all okay.

Scared right now and just looking for a bit of advice.
Tuesday night my vision went strange. I had a ziz zaggy small area to the left of my vision which really scared me...of course this then got worse until I couldn't see anything to the left. Was very frightened at the time as never experienced anything like this. It lastes for about 20 minutes. About 3 hours later I got a headache and I have had it since. It does change it goes from mild to severe but overall is getting progressively worse and at 5am this morning I woke with a thudding headache and it's got slightly better since then although it's still bad.

I don't want to start googling as I have fears of brain tumors and I know that it will probably come up that this is one so thought I should turn here for some advice. Do you think this is my first migraine or something more sinister?

I have read a little about auras and migraines etc but mine seems different as the headache didnt come straight on after my visual problems and then it says it can last up to 3 days and I'm almost on day 3 now and it's getting worse not better?

Sorry to ramble on I'm just scared. It's worth mentioning that I did suffer for a 10 weeks straight with tension headaches back in the summer which slowly relieved but this headache pain feels very much different.

Thanks for reading.
Amyx

Groundhog
30-12-10, 12:41
Hi
I just googled for you, the zig zag sight thing is classic pre symptom of migraine and as you said they can last for circa 72 hours or longer. Is it possible the migraine has given way to a tension headache because you are worrying?

I think strong painkillers and try to relax and not worry should do the trick:)

Del1970
30-12-10, 14:10
It sounds very much like a migraine aura and can start at the onset of a migraine the headache does only usualy present itself after the aura so its best to take any painkillers as soon as you get the visual effect.

Hope it eased off for you
x

scaredycatx
30-12-10, 17:22
Thanks for your replies and yeah I think you could be right about the migraine moving straight into a tension headache due to all of my bloody worrying!

I really wish I could crack the not worrying part! :wacko:

It has eased of slighty now so this should tell me that it's nothing sinister right?
Oh to be rational!

Thanks again.
Amy x

phoebe
30-12-10, 20:21
Hi:)

I've suffered from migraines since I ws 11 (am 30 now), what you've described sounds exactly what I experience when I get a migraine. Sometimes I get the zig zaggy sort of moving thing in the corner of my eye, it then gradually moves in sort of an ark shape until I can't see very much out of the corner of my eye. I used to get a throbbing headache after and usally the day after I feel sort of spaced out and not quite with it. As I've got older I tend not to get the terrible headache after the zig zagging (which usually lasts about 20 mins) I just feel generally tired after.

Anyway after suffering from migraines for 19 years now I still get extremely anxious when I get the zig zaggy thing in my vision, you'd think I would be used to it by now but it still frightens me. Over the years I've been surprised by how many people I've met who suffer from this, it's quite commen I think, although I always convince myself I'm the only one on the planet who gets this when I'm having the zig zags.

Hope this helps, as hard as it is try not to be scared of it.
Phoebe x