PDA

View Full Version : PAIN IN UPPER BACK

mandie
23-03-06, 20:47
Hi

Does anyone ever get pain in their upper back? Most people seem to suffer in the bottom of their backs but mine is nearly always the upper part. Sometimes it goes to the front. I fell like iv been kicked really hard all over.

I know when i get it i panic so i probably do make it worse. What worries me is when it goes round to my chest. I convince myself im gonna have a heart attack.

Anyone else suffer with this?

love mandie x

Farr06
23-03-06, 20:57
Mandy, I am so glad you said that - I have been getting a pain on the left side at the back of my shoulder, radiating toward the upper left of my chest at the front and today its going down my left arm. I am only 30, dont smoke, but GP said cholestorol was a bit high, although my bloods were ok. I am also afraid its the heart - I get lightheaded with it, but that might just be the panic and fear of it

Anxiety Is Evil

jackie
23-03-06, 21:04
mandie. mine too is almost always upper back.

thanks to you for the reassurance as that was starting to freak me out
jackie

mandie
23-03-06, 21:56
Hi

Im not glad both of you have the same, but its good to no im not alone with this.

I have it now, its the kind of pain you get when your bent over for a long time and then you try and straighten up if that makes sense. Iv just been for a long soak in the bath and never had the pain whilst in the bath. Maybe the heat helps the pain in which case its muscular. Im trying to make myself feel better by saying this, otherwise i think its to do with my heart.

mandie x

delta
24-03-06, 07:59
I get this a lot, my physio has reassured me that it is due to tension in my upper body brought on my stress and also poor posture. I have recently started pilates and this is helping sorting my back, shoulders and neck out.
HTH

lin
24-03-06, 10:20
Hi Mandie

I sometimes get the same as you, its on my left side just in line with the shoulder blade. But it doesn't happen all of the time though.

linda x

Paddington
24-03-06, 10:58
hello mandy,i get the exact sme thing have for years!mine is tension and digestion pain,alldue to the anxiety!I take ant acids,helps some times or a glass of andrews!!!makes you burp and it lessens the pain.Put some lavender oil in your bath,it will relax you and your muscles.lol mary-rose.xxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

mandie
24-03-06, 11:30
thanks for your replies everyone

Mary rose i often use lavender oil in my bath to help me relax. while im sokaing, i feel great and for a good while after. then it starts again.

Delta i think i will try the pilates

love mandie x

karen44rose
02-04-06, 08:20
Hi, I have the same thing happen to me It really scares me. I have had my heart checked they say all is fine. The pain starts in my upper back then radiates to chest, it really hurts and im scared im having a heart attack, as the pain fits the description.

I would like to keep intouch with somebody suffering the same, then if we discover what it is we could both be treated.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Mandy, I am so glad you said that - I have been getting a pain on the left side at the back of my shoulder, radiating toward the upper left of my chest at the front and today its going down my left arm. I am only 30, dont smoke, but GP said cholestorol was a bit high, although my bloods were ok. I am also afraid its the heart - I get lightheaded with it, but that might just be the panic and fear of it

Anxiety Is Evil

<div align="right">Originally posted by Farr06 - 23 March 2006 : 20:57:06</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

k white

MasterJPK69
16-03-07, 14:49
hello all i ahve been having this to for about a months or so it starts in my back like you were bent over to long and than stood up then i get it where it comes around to the left of my chest for the most part is is never in the same spot anyware i get pains in my stomach too taking antacid help along with a gas pill but stress makes it worse and i even get it in my shoulder and when that happens i am in sheer pain. i know what you are all saying when you say it is goo to know that your are not the only one with this it does give a sigh og relief now we just need to deal with it and well be all set huh. heheheeeee

orangesky
16-03-07, 14:58
Funnily enough i've been experiencing a similar thing, had a couple of panic attacks over the last week and started getting pains in my left side of my body, in my upper back, chest arms and sometimes my foot, they are very random and do go away, apparently when anxious you can trap nerves espcially in your upper back which then creates the pain in your chest.....i've been advised that massage (shiatsu) is a great way to sort this out....

I've also always had pains in my chest near my heart when i'm anxious, it's scary but it's apparently psysically not as bad as it feels......but yes i always think i'm going to have a heartattack, it's horrible but you just have to snap yourself out of it that you aren't, i'm glad somebody told me about the trapped nerve though....makes it much better to deal with

best of luck
Orange sky

nomorepanic
16-03-07, 19:29
Make sure you aren't hunching your shoulders as well. Make a concious effort to drop them down.

ailsajayne26
23-03-07, 14:52
I ge that too... had convinved myself I had blood clots for a long time!! I was having regular massgaes and they said its tension caused by stress / bad posture!! My boyfriend reckons sometimes my muscles feel like they r made of concrete!! its like random pains that shift around on back and front but always round my shoulders!! But now that I know what they are they still appear but don't scare me as much!! well only on a bad day when I've got other symptoms like not breathing right or racing heartbeat!!

mandie
23-03-07, 19:52
Hi

I was gonna post about this topic today and then noticed my old post from last year was here!

For past few days iv been getting horrible pains in upper back and chest again.

I keep thinking its my heart, but then iv had these pains since last year and when my anxiety went, these pains went. My anxiety has been creeping back in the last few weeks and now iv been getting these pains back.

I just need to convince myself its the anxiety beccause i know im making myself worse by thinking its something worse

Easier said than done though:weep:

love mandie x

Taffy
19-06-11, 20:43
Mandie..

Do you still get these pains 4 years on?

I ask because I have had pain in my right shoulder and back radiating to my chest for about 2 months now.

Doctors says it tension / anxiety related but I'm not convinced.

grannyc
20-06-11, 16:11
tell you what i have had these pains in my back and chest for nearly 3 weeks now and had all the ecg etc and all is well but i still have the pains

Lizziesaurus
20-06-11, 21:45
It's so nice to know I'm not alone in this!
I've suffered upper back pain for almost 2 years now after a bad car accident I had (flipped the car going way too fast). I've had physio and NSAIDs or whatever they're called but nothing helps. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it comes and goes, my doctor says I have a trapped nerve which makes it tingle. It's partly to do with poor posture also, but it's because of the accident it started. I'm just learning to live with it :blush:

Glad a few of you have mentioned it going towards your chest, I've had this a few times and it scares the c**p out of me!!

I think it's just one of them things doctors can't do much about, pahh :mad:

emmawalton
21-06-11, 12:45
i have been getting this too and was about to write a post but no need now, my chest feels tight but not all the time, i get the pain in my upper back more so when i wake up in the night, only last a few seconds and then goes, is left sided and seems to be when i have lay on my left side does not wake me just when i move, can be very painful also radiates to my chest so think the worst of it being my heart, can't be though as had ecgs back in March and all clear then. I think it is anxiety related as always.

KeeKee
18-01-14, 21:30
Was just about to post on here as my anxiety is coming back with a bang but this post seems to have eased my ill feelings a little. I am experiencing mild upper back pain and heart worries resurfacing.
Anxiety is awful and debilitating and I think it is shocking you can't get help for it (by which I mean if you are unable to work due to anxiety but claim Job Seekers Allowance you will still have to look for a job etc).

barrym
19-01-14, 17:39
Hi, newbie here. I suffer terribly from upper back pain, shoulders, neck all which give me tension headaches. Shoulders are usually up round my ears lol so I am constantly trying to relax them. Had a lot of stress before Xmas holidays due to deadlines needing met, this then triggered anxiety attacks as I was stressed, getting pains in back and head, wondering if it was something sinister, just the usual vicious circle. Slowly getting back to normal after 4/5 weeks of hell, back pain still there though.