PDA

View Full Version : Shyness: What age are you?

Towers
31-12-10, 15:57
Hi,

I would like to ask other people with Shyness and/or Social Anxiety how old are you?
I really don't like that fact that I am 41 and still feel like this!

Thank you.

haziefantasie
31-12-10, 17:15
Hi Towers

Im 27 and I suffer from shyness and social anxiety x

charliepanayi
31-12-10, 19:20
I'm 28 and have social anxiety and shyness pretty bad

daisycake
31-12-10, 19:46
I'm 19 and have GA with elements of social anxiety and health anxiety x

mrsf
31-12-10, 19:50
I am 50!! Don't think I am going to change now but you never know ;)

JaneC
31-12-10, 22:06
I'm 49 Towers, and still suffer in some situations x

baileys
31-12-10, 22:08
I'm 49 x
Snap

Little Nicky
01-01-11, 01:26
Hi, I'm 36 and suffer with social anxiety, but I never knew until very recently it had a name! I'm just starting to address it? When I'm in a social situation a wave of panic just seams to consume me in one hungry swallow! The smaller the group the worse I feel which I think is a little backward. I'm sure it should be the other way around.x.:blush:

Towers
01-01-11, 10:35
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.:)

MrsF: I also feel that I will always be like this.

Little Nicky: I also get the "wave of panic" - as soon as it starts I just want to get away.

dragonfyy
01-01-11, 17:27
I'm 41 and hate it!

Tish
01-01-11, 19:53
I am 50!! Don't think I am going to change now but you never know ;)

I'm 52, have been shy all my life but am still hopeful to overcome it because as I get older, I really don't care so much about what people think of me!

On The Outside
03-01-11, 17:09
I'm 36 and have been shy since the age of 14. I often feel as though I've missed out on many things in life because of my inability to interact with people. I've struggled in work situations and not been able to have relationships because I couldn't make the first move. Sometimes I feel as though I'll never be the person I hoped to be.

My social anxiety is quite severe and, as much as I want to make new friends, I avoid people for fear of being judged or that they will find me boring. Even online I'm very shy although I've tried to put myself out there in the past. I'm very different with the few that I have been able to get to know and open up to but almost everyone else remains a stranger unless I feel able to initiate any contact or they approach me first. This rarely happens so I spend a lot of time feeling very lonely and isolated.

SHYGIRLAJB
03-01-11, 17:16
Hi

I am 34 years old and im shy, and suffer with social anxiety. I go bright red too, if anyone speaks to me and things.

I find it really hard to make friends. For instance went to my bros party once and sat in the corner on my own, cos there were loads of people who I didn't know and things. Im not into the mingling and asking question first etc.

You are not alone my friend. There are many of us out there.

Anita..

Towers
03-01-11, 19:09
Hi,

Thanks again for all replies.

On the Outside: I agree with alot of what you have written

SHYGIRLAJB: I also tend to blush which doesn't help matters when you are shy.

opiateyes
11-01-11, 22:17
I am 22. i've been very shy since the age of...birth i guess, i can't
remember a time when i wasn't shy.

delta
20-01-11, 11:10
I'm 42 and have suffered all my life.

Freesolo
22-01-11, 19:31
Im 29 and first noticed my shyness when i was 16 and left school to go college and struggled to make new friends, every true friend i have now ive known since school i haven't made a single friend i could call or hangout alone with since i left

pigtailplaits
24-01-11, 23:01
hi im 27 and suffer from performance anxiety i think

mercer88
25-01-11, 00:01
Hey Towers,

23, quite attractive, ludicrously charming, exceptionally funny (or so I am told) and yet I still feel like a fish out of water when others are around.

Some people just aren't right to be flashy and confident; doesn't mean you can't spin it to your advantage though!

cityinadream
07-02-11, 21:18
I'm 19. I have social anxiety/bit of paranoia and general anxiety and depression.
I've had the social anxiety since I was around three.

*Panda*
09-02-11, 00:03
I am 35 years old and have suffered from social anxiety since high school. I also have a tendency to blush easily which makes things even more difficult.

dodgerz
09-02-11, 03:40
Im 29 and first noticed my shyness when i was 16 and left school to go college and struggled to make new friends, every true friend i have now ive known since school i haven't made a single friend i could call or hangout alone with since i left

I'm 16 now, and i'm really worried that my life could turn out like this :/

Eamon
06-05-13, 10:57
Hi
I'm 45 this month and still feel shy. I have accepted this now. I will never be a very socially confident person, will never have a job that involves lots of social activity, meetings, talks, etc. it would just be too taxing. A remote farm job or a solitary gardener job would do me fine at the moment. Modern urban life is a bit unusual really, people in the past would have spent most of their time with family or family friends. Modern life requires us to have many different types of relationships (work colleagues, people met through work, friends, acquaintances, neighbours, people met in classes, gym etc with many different people. Maybe its not for everyone?
Best wishes

bernie1977
06-05-13, 14:12
I'm 38 and have panic disorder with agoraphobia and social anxiety. Started having panic attacks in my mid 20's

Lissa101
06-05-13, 15:18
I'm 16 now, and i'm really worried that my life could turn out like this :/

Every person is different. I had anxiety so bad I didn't go to school for over 6 months and messed up my exams. I dropped out at 15. BUT, my late teens and early 20's were amazing. I made loads of friends, did lots of socializing, went to music festivals and generally had a great time. I went back to uni in my 20's, sorted my education out and now I'm doing a PhD. I never, ever could have imagined that I'd have the courage to do those things when I was 15.

I'm now 31 and I've struggled the past year after a breakdown brought on by lots of personal problems (family illness, bad relationship, work stress ect). But being an anxious teenager did not have an impact on my adult life for the most part. x

gem7
06-05-13, 16:26
its made me more shy and i.m 30 and i hate it

Moley
10-05-13, 18:19
I am 31 and always been extremely shy and not wanting to talk to people have only just realised that I have social anxiety and am now starting to address it. I also suffer from depression which has been brought on by my anxieties. I am on venlafaxine and undergoing CBT.

Rls1994
03-06-13, 03:34
I am 18 years old and have been shy/had social anxiety all of my life. I don't think it's ever going to change..

XvickyX
10-06-13, 21:18
I'm 27 and have been shy since I can remember really, always been known as the 'quiet' one out of my family, to the point most people didn't bother to even try to talk to me any more when they saw me, it's affected family relationships over the years and made it very difficult to make friends over the years, I think I have improved since I was 17 and started to take action to try to feel better about myself but 10 years on I'm still not where I'd really like to be with it, hope to keep working at it little by little along with learning to accept it may always be a part of me, its just learning to handle it a bit better I think.

Regina
15-06-13, 03:34
I'm 38 and still can't manage to be around people for too long or have a proper conversation. I feel too old to learn social skills now, even though I'd love to make new friends, I tend to stay away from people unless they speak to me first and then I'm horrifyingly awkward for the most part.

~Regina x

jayjoe18
16-06-13, 17:18
I'm 20 and have social anxiety, GA, panic, etc but I started becoming shy and socially anxious around 12 or 13 years old. I think, unfortunately, some people are just born to be shy, quiet etc. Everyone is different though and that's the beauty of the world, I don't mind being quiet, it allows me to think before I speak and observe more, but I'd love to be more confident and outgoing and not painfully shy!

fishman65
02-07-13, 19:03
Just turned 48,had anxiety in a variety of flavours for 28 years now.

Shelly15
02-07-13, 19:25
I'm 24 and have suffered shyness since I was about 4

fluff
02-07-13, 20:14
Im 27 I think I find it really hard to talk to people on phone :-/ It takes me ages even my friends I dont I just txt

Jsp
03-07-13, 01:14
I'm 18 and suffer from social anxiety.

Tinker28
03-07-13, 03:21
Age 32.

JCRyanDenton
04-07-13, 00:16
16 and suffer from social anxiety.

soulsearcher
11-08-13, 04:08
hi I am 35 and i have social anxiety.and anxietyits horrible and i wish it would go but mines worse now

sam_lowry
31-08-13, 02:01
I am 44, and have always been shy and nervous, always felt a bit of a misfit.

vitaluna_
09-09-13, 23:26
I'm 19...
Don't give up x