PDA

View Full Version : Self help books

JGJ
31-12-10, 18:46
Hello was just woundering if any one has tried paul mckenna book control stress and has it been any good thanks

Veronica H
01-01-11, 17:03
:)Yes, and it was very helpful:yesyes:

Veronicax

Wildmage
04-01-11, 12:29
I have read every self help book going, I think I must be the queen of self help.

This book is good in parts, some of it will make a lot of sense. Also, I would recommend "Feel the fear and do it anyway", by Susan Jeffers, "At last a life" by Paul David and "Just get on with it (a caring kick in the ass)" by Ali Campbell.

I have read loads of others and they all have their good bits, but the above three books helped me more than any of the others. However, it does help to do the exercises and not just read the books.

Also listening to relaxation CDs and trying distraction techniques, like exercise, watching TV or just going for a walk etc will help.

Hope this helps anyone

Emma (aka) wildmage

Blue Order 1972
04-01-11, 12:46
I've tried the Linden Method which really helped at first but it was almost like the more I did the exercises and read the book that I somehow convinced myself that I know better than him ??!!

This is really frustrating and I just wish I could go with the flow and take all of his advice on board and I would be better by retraining my brain to think differently

I think sadly, that unless you are in the right frame of mind then no self help book will do it for you

JGJ
04-01-11, 13:21
Thank you for your replys

JaneC
04-01-11, 14:20
Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread JGJ but Amazon have McKenna's "I can make you happy" on special offer at the mo. Can anyone tell me if they think it would be worth shelling out a fiver for? xx

Nigel
04-01-11, 16:00
Hi Jane,

I think that one’s only just been published so probably not a lot of people have read it yet. I’ve read a couple of his other books and I like his approach to psychology and self help. Suppose it’s a personal preference because some people say the opposite.

Have you read any of his other books or watched his TV programmes? That might give you an idea.

Take care :)
Nigel

JaneC
04-01-11, 17:33
Hi Nigel, thanks for that - I was just looking for general experiences of him as I haven't read any of his books and I don't watch much TV. I have had helpful experience of self-hypnosis in the past tho. I'll probably go for it (less than a packet of fags after all :blush:).

Hope you are well xx

JGJ
04-01-11, 18:26
no i dont mind thats why we come to this site to help each other has any one tried change your life with cbt and found it was help full thanks

Nigel
04-01-11, 18:44
Hi Jane,

There’s a series about it here – Part 1 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1343564/PAUL-McKENNA-I-make-HAPPY.html) and Part 2 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1343807/Paul-McKennas-new-book-shows-make-happiness-habit.html).
Think there might be more to follow.

And this is the Amazon link – I Can Make You Happy (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0593064046/ref=nosim?tag=psychologysol-21) by Paul McKenna.

Nigel

JaneC
04-01-11, 19:40
Thanks again, Nigel - not so sure about it now lol but I've already ordered it. Some of it sounds a little weird but I'll give it a try.

JGJ, I've not read the Corinne Sweet but I'd definitely consider it - it's not too expensive after all. I do have Brilliant Cognitive Behaviour Therapy tho and thought it was good. Have you done any CBT with a therapist? xxx

Nigel
04-01-11, 19:58
Hmm... yes... :unsure:

Some of those looking and tapping things he mentioned in the first part seem a bit weird to me too, but then for some reason I’ve never connected with that EFT stuff. But he did say that different techniques appeal to different people.

The ideas about smiling more, and posture, and being a little more active, and imagining happy times and positive outcomes – those sort of things make a lot of sense to me.

You’ll have to keep us updated when you’ve read it. I’m sure other people will be interested.

Take care :)
Nigel

JGJ
04-01-11, 20:16
Hello no i havant not yet am still waiting hopfully very soon take care

JaneC
04-01-11, 20:22
Good luck with that JGJ, it might be worth trying one of the books in the meantime tho I'm not too sure how easy it is to start from scratch with them.

Nigel, I will supply feedback (if I'm not too busy tapping myself instead of a keyboard Lol) xx