PDA

View Full Version : masking a problem

jodie
24-03-06, 10:49
do you ever feel like you are
masking a real problem with anxiety

ItWillPass
24-03-06, 17:28
my psychologist actually asked me a very interesting question... something about if I am using my anxiety as a way to distract me from what I am really feeling. I am still thinking about it...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance, never settle for the path of least resistance... When you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance"

"This too shall pass..."

Captain America
13-09-08, 00:40
i've convinced myself i can tell the difference between anxiety related symptoms and 'real' symptoms.

but yeah, if you mean by masking that i'm ignoring nasty stuff because i just mistake it for anxiety. symptomatically this doesn't feel like masking. everything hurts!

RosieXXX
13-09-08, 15:06
I think this is a very interesting idea, and one which was put to me many years ago by a doctor. I think for me there is some truth in it. All the while I am fearing my deepest dread of cancer, all other worries (not related to health) become insignificant - I believe it is a form of diversion. I also find the sense of relief i get after realising I haven't got cancer can be addictive - that sense of high you can feel - so I try not to allow myself to feel that high - just keep my feelings as level as possible.

bottleblond
22-09-08, 19:58
Jen i think you have hit the nail on the head here. I tend to brush my agoraphobia under the rug, make excuses for today and hope i can fight it better tomorrow! tomorrow never seems to be coming around for me at the moment so maybe it's time i stopped masking it and dealt with it.

Love ya
Lisa
xxx

Cathy V
22-09-08, 20:00
Good point jodie, and if im honest then yes i think my anx has been masking unhappiness for quite some years now. Unhappy marriages sapped any energy and spirit i ever had. Now im in a happy relationship but the anx came back again (along with the ectopics) when i moved over to germany because of leaving my family behind. So yes the anx def masks my unhappiness while living here.

How about you?

Cathy xxxx

richieshealth
01-10-08, 12:49
Hi jodie, I don't believe anxiety is a choice and therefore do not believe it can be used to mask or avoid other problems. I can see the point that unhappiness and other problems previous to anx disorder taking hold can be the route causes for sure. I think most people are true to themselves with anx probs and wouldn't use their probs to mask up other things.. Rich