PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety gone mad!

calwezoe
01-01-11, 11:08
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum but going out of my mind with worry.

I have a constant fear of leaving my children and every little symptom I get I think its something bad.

For instance : I have had the swine flu vaccine but still think I will get it and die, I don't have any underlying conditions but I had a water infec the other week and have now convinced myself that I have kidney failure which will mean I will get swine flu and die.

Its just a viscious circle that I don't know how to get out of. I am constantly checking the internet for bad stories about swine flu.

I keep saying if 39 people out of the whole of the UK have died and there are 65m in the UK then its not even one percent but I still think I will get it. I think its tragic that these people have died and its consuming my days.

I woke this morning with a dread feeling and then had the runs from worry and feel sick. Then I thought this is the symptom of kidney failure I just can't stop it. I worry so much I will leave my kids why they are so young.

Last year I was pregnant and high risk for swine flu and didn't worry as much.

Sorry for the long post, I feel like i am going mad with worry. I constantly try and find things wrong.

Can someone tell me if they get it to these extremes. :)

Kelley
01-01-11, 13:31
Hi.
Yes I do! At the moment I am making myself extremely ill over something that I am sure I will end up in the hospital from worry. I can't believe I'm putting myself through this again! I am constantly checking and analyzing symptoms and going through all the possibilities in my head. I am absolutely terrified to say the least and the guilt I have from being this way to my husband and kids is tearing me apart even more. I think my fears are rational but the way I am behaving seem a little unnecessary! I am thankful however for posts like this though to reming muself that I'm not alone and hope my reply does the same for you.
Thankyou :-)

macc noodle
01-01-11, 13:37
Completely with you on this one - I am even driving myself mad and I am so scared that my parents, kids & hubby will all perish with swine flu.

My best friend at the moment is my thermometer! I have been out and bought fresh supplies of hand gels for the kids and am seriously considering keeping them out of school.

I find it so hard to get any sense of perspective on this and am driving everyone mad with my latest dictats on how we should be boosting our immune systems, keeping clean, avoiding busy areas etc etc etc.

I know I am bonkers - my kids even had confirmed swine flu last year and we all survived -although 48 hours of 40 degree temps with them both was a real test of my mettle!

We have also had this really bad cough virus which was bad enough but I am now going potty that we are more at risk to get swine flu cos our immune systems have taken a pounding.

Can't sleep, can't stop checking internet, can't stop worrying.

Yep, you are not alone and I would like to bet that even the most level headed in the nation who do not suffer HA like we do, must be concerned.

calwezoe
01-01-11, 13:39
Hi Kelley, thanks for replying.

Anxiety is horrible, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I am the same, i feel constant guilt because I often break down in front of the kids. Its like i go into meltdown and cant stop until I have been reassured. I am constantly checking the news for swine flu and slowing driving myself and family mad.

Its hard because in one sense you know its nothing serious and then its like a gremlin in your head tells you something different. It is even affecting my eating now.

calwezoe
01-01-11, 13:43
Completely with you on this one - I am even driving myself mad and I am so scared that my parents, kids & hubby will all perish with swine flu.

My best friend at the moment is my thermometer! I have been out and bought fresh supplies of hand gels for the kids and am seriously considering keeping them out of school.

I find it so hard to get any sense of perspective on this and am driving everyone mad with my latest dictats on how we should be boosting our immune systems, keeping clean, avoiding busy areas etc etc etc.

I know I am bonkers - my kids even had confirmed swine flu last year and we all survived -although 48 hours of 40 degree temps with them both was a real test of my mettle!

We have also had this really bad cough virus which was bad enough but I am now going potty that we are more at risk to get swine flu cos our immune systems have taken a pounding.

Can't sleep, can't stop checking internet, can't stop worrying.

Yep, you are not alone and I would like to bet that even the most level headed in the nation who do not suffer HA like we do, must be concerned.

I am the same, the internet is so good as in I can come on here but so bad for checking the news. Its was only a few months ago they was saying that they overexagerated the whole ting and not as many people died or contracted it as first thought.

I go over things and make sense and then worry myself again. Its so frustrating.

I worry about it 24/7 and even find i wake shaking or nervous now. The media scaremonger and its not fair. I'm due to go back to work next week after maternity in a hospital and don't think i can do it.

macc noodle
01-01-11, 13:47
In some respects you have an advantage working in a hospital because it allows you a real sense of perspective as to what is actually happening with this latest outbreak.

I like to know numbers and stats on things so that I can try and apply reason to my HA when really bad so when the internet and media suddenly go quiet after giving out some hideous stat re swine flu - I really do go mad.

At least at work you will see what is happening in your area and if you are worried, then you can go home and hibernate (which is really what I would like to do but running my own business which means going out of the home to do it is not really an option!!!)

Take care, we have to be brave if only for the kids ...............

calwezoe
01-01-11, 13:50
Yes i know what you mean. last year we only had a couple of cases of swine flu from what i saw.

i have been checking statistics as well. i don't know how to stop the way i think.

Kelley
02-01-11, 04:52
It's funny the differences between what scares each of us. I would swap my current issue for swine flu in a heartbeat! The thing is though the thing I'm worrying over isn't life threatening but in my mind it is! I have trouble talking about it because when I do I have to relive it over again and I just can't do that. Everyone thinks I'm being irrational but really don't understand the seriousness of the threat in my world. I want to smile for everyone again but it's just not happening as everyday there seems to be a symptom pop up again making the nightmare begin all over. My husband really isn't coping with my distance and I don't know how to snap out of it!

Lissy43
02-01-11, 07:56
I used to worry to that extent after I had my 3rd child. I used to panic I'd be taken from them, so I worried about my health all of the time. I panicked alot if they were ill too.

It's got easier as they've got older, they are still only 8, 6 and 5, but I am alot more chilled with them. I still make sure they eat healthy, take good vitamins and wash thei hands after going out etc... But doesn't ever mum.

I still have health anxiety but it's alot better, of I'm ill I think the worst but I'm less jumpy on a day to day basis. I had CBT 2 years ago which worked wonders. Maybe see your GP and ask to be referred?

I do worry about the flu, only my son has the vaccination because he's asthmatic so the rest of us aren't protected. That does worry me, I can't wait until the flu season is over, but I still carry on as normal, I just use handgel if we are out, and we eat somewhere.

My auntie has been in hospital recently with swine flu, she was very ill but she has health problems too, and so far the rest of the family aren't showing symptoms. I'm staying away until she's over it, it's not worth the risk of catching it when you have children.

My advice is the CBT. Life is too short, worrying does not prevent things from happening. Live life with your children and be happy. My children are stars, if I'm feeling anxious I just spend more time with them and my worries are soon at the back of my mind.

macc noodle
02-01-11, 08:40
Larna - I agree CBT is the way to go - when I suffered 15 years ago, it was invaluable and helped my anxiety assume a reasonable proportion of my head space!

However, with the onset of peri menopause, my anxieties are all over the place and I am in sore need of some help once again but can I readily access it on NHS - no way! I have been waiting 4 months now and still the doctor cannot tell me when I will be seen - it is utterly ridiculous - if my leg was broken would they send me home to wait four months to be set in plaster - I think not!

Lissy43
02-01-11, 09:23
I'm waiting for cbt again too as mine has flared up since my op. I posted last night on here about it.

I'm trying to use the skills I learnt but finding it difficult.

macc noodle
02-01-11, 11:21
Lara - let's hope we get seen soon. And that you are recovered from your op?

Strangely enough I know what my fear stems from and regression therapy was very successful if making me see that what happened to me was indeed worthy of the fear I have but only at that time (I was 6) and that the likelihood of it happening again was extremely remote. At the time of my therapy 15 years ago that satisfied my HA (over which I don't really think we have that much control anyway) and I was able to leave the persistent panic attacks and fear behind.

It has been manageable for a long time now but over last 12 months I have been to the docs more than in the previoius 15 years in total and a dawning realisation that I need to take more care of myself and that as I am getting older (ha) then I will more than likely need to brace myself and seek medical help but that I am not going to die every time I get a twinge or an ache. That said, works well when I am calm and ok but then something like this blasted swine flu comes along and my sense of proportion and coping skills go out of the window!!

Take care

:D

Lissy43
02-01-11, 12:16
I know what you mean, something comes along and flares our anxiety up again, and it's hard to switch it off.

I'm fine now as it was 13 months ago, but the phobia I have won't go:((( See my post on here.

blueangel
02-01-11, 12:51
Hi there

I spent 6 months last year working with all the arrangements for dealing with swine flu (and part of my job is still involved with it), so maybe these things will help:

* it is very unlikely that people who have been vaccinated will catch swine flu, unless they are exposed to the virus before the vaccine has become active (about 3 weeks) - the vaccine is very effective

* nearly all the people who die of swine flu have got seriously compromised immune systems because of other existing problems

* a few pregnant women have died of swine flu because of the extra load on the lungs during pregnancy (the virus seems to get further into the lungs if you're pregnant, so pregnant women should really consider getting vaccinated)

* if you do contract swine flu, it seems to come on very quickly (within a couple of hours in many cases), so if you've felt a bit unwell for a few days, it's very unlikely to be swine flu

* most people who get swine flu aren't particularly ill with it, and a few days in bed will sort you out

* if you do get the virus, get to your doctor and get some Tamiflu, it does seem to help a bit with the symptoms

* the "catch it, bin it, kill it" campaign does help stop the spread of the infection

* handwashing does help as the most common way to spread the virus is on the hands, and it can live for a number of hours on hard surfaces like door handles etc.

* we still aren't in a "epidemic" situation as the figures aren't high enough, but there may well be more cases around after the school holidays finish

calwezoe
02-01-11, 13:30
Thanks for all your replies everyone :)

I had a short course of CBT a few years ago and it really helped me but I am now on the waiting list again and have been advised that die to shortages in staff the wait is at least 12 months. There is a organisation caled Anxiety UK though that I might ring as they can do it as well at a fee of around £7. I know a few people who have used them because of the wait with the NHS and its funny but most of their therapists also work for the NHS and do it as a side line.

Its so silly what i worry about. I get water infections- should drink more but I have now started to convince myself that I have kidney failure which would make me high risk. Its so frustrating.

I have also seen a book that I might try, think it is called overcome anxiety that might help for a while whilst I wait.

I kno of so many people that have had the flu and have recovered however the news never tell you that. Its almost like I convince myself its nothing then look on the internet for more bad news I am my own worst enemy.

:)

Lissy43
02-01-11, 13:37
Do not google!!!! It's the worst thing you can do, it just feeds your anxiety.

At the end of the day reading won't stop you getting it, it will just makesl you worry more, and analyse every ache and pain you have.

Just be as hygienic as you can, and avoid people if you know they have it. That's all you can do. Xxx

Lissy43
02-01-11, 13:38
Sorry about typos, damn iPhone;)