PDA

View Full Version : Hello

mary60
01-01-11, 18:33
Hello to you all

I have been reading posts here for months, I finally took the plunge and joined. Have suffered with HA for more years than I can remember.

It is a crippling affliction that rules your life and destroys your ability to enjoy anything.
I find it so hard to plan a long ime in advance never believing I will be around that long.
I am 60 and at the moment terrified of getting swine flu, I am so very very scared.

diane07
01-01-11, 18:35
Hi mary60

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

midgey
01-01-11, 21:52
Hi Mary,
I am scared of catching aline flu as well. I have a general anxiety which sometimes means I don't want to see or speak to people but I also have bad health anxiety which came when I was seriously ill with pneumonia. Because I have been left with breathing problems I convince myself that I can't breathe. I am scared of catching swine flu as I'm sure I would die if I caught it as I have underlying health issues. I am also a nurse and work in a GP surgery so that adds to my anxiety that I'll catch it there. I try not to read the papers. I know how you feel xx

mary60
01-01-11, 22:09
HI midgey
Sometimes I think we get too much information, I scan the papers and google to find out the latest, my word its so silly. but cant stop

midgey
01-01-11, 22:16
Mary do u have any health problems? do u know where this started? Mine started (as I said) from being really unwell. I knew my heart wasn't right and the GP ignored me. It turned out I had double pneumonia which was undiagnosed and lead to a heart infection which has left me with a valve leak. This has left me with no confidence in the medical profession (even tho I'm a nurse !!). Do u find it stops you wanting to go out? Because I have breathing probs it feels worse as when I feel panicky my chest gets tight then I get more anxious ........vicious circle :-(

mary60
01-01-11, 22:28
Hi
No I dont mind going out, I had TB when I was 17 and spent 2 years recovering, lost my Brother with a brain tumor , then my Mum with lung cancer, and Dad with another type of Cancer.
Hence an accute Cancer phobia.

Yet I smoke 10 ciggs a day, I am a mess some days hardly believing I will survive a week.
Have had CBT , that helped for a while, anti depressants but I suppose its only me that can change the way I am.

midgey
01-01-11, 22:34
Hi Mary,
It's understandable you feel worried when u've had the experiences you have. Did u find the antidepressants helped? I've just started taking some but am really anxious that they won't help. I think it's normal to worry about health but not when it takes us over and it's on ur mind every day........u'll find lots of support and encouragement on here x

mary60
01-01-11, 22:44
Yes they really did help they take a good 4 weeks to kick in, and bear with the side effects they do dissappear

paula lynne
01-01-11, 22:53
Hi Mary, a belated welcome to you from sunny Wales....x:)

mary60
01-01-11, 23:48
Hi Paula

Thank You from me :) Stockbridge in Hampshire

paula lynne
01-01-11, 23:54
South Wales :) 39, agoraphobic, (getting better thanks to the support here!) panic and anxiety. My hubby has had flu for 5 days, and suddenly tonight, hes fine, sprang out of bed, currently munching twiglets and watching a cowboy film. Flu is awful Mary, but Im sure you wont get it. Im a smoker too :mad:going to be picking a date to quit soon, youre welcome to join me if you want too. Anyway, my gherkins are calling to me (terrible munchies-time of the month)...so farewell til next time. Pleasure to meet you xxxx

Veronica H
02-01-11, 21:25
:welcome:to NMP Mary. Glad you have found us.

Veronicax

mary60
03-01-11, 09:19
Thank you all for the warm welcome