PDA

View Full Version : A new year...

sonnyred7
02-01-11, 01:26
This is just to say hello for starters. I spent all last year thinking about posting on here. I'm doing it now as a first step to try to improve my situation. Happy new year everyone.

diane07
02-01-11, 01:36
Hi sonnyred7

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

KK77
02-01-11, 02:02
:welcome: Sonny and Happy New Year

Hope you find the forum useful, as I'm sure you will.

What do you suffer with exactly?

sonnyred7
02-01-11, 12:51
Thanks. My main problems are anxiety and depression for which I take various prescribed meds. I've had the problems since I was 15 and I'm now 30. I didnt see a doctor until I was about 23 and although I now know more about whats wrong I'm no closer to living anything like a normal life. Theres obvously alot more to it but I think thats basically it.
What difficulties do you have Melancholia?

KK77
02-01-11, 13:43
I suffer with recurrent depression and some anxiety related to that. I'm on meds for it and although I have the usual ups and downs I'm pretty much stable. I lead a "normal life" in most respects but I do have to pace myself when it comes to certain stress factors.

What meds are you on Sonny? It may help to go back to your doc and assess whether they're benefiting you at the current doses. I don't know whether you've also had any talking therapy like counselling or CBT, as that can also help.

Also the time of year doesn't help many people with depression/anxiety either, so it's important that we maintain a sense of perspective and aren't too hard on ourselves as even non-sufferers of depression can find this time of year difficult.

sonnyred7
02-01-11, 14:41
Well its good you can say you're pretty stable. My meds are Mirtazapine 30mg, Venlafaxine 225mg, Propanolol 4x 10mg, Olanzapine 5mg.
They've been gradually increased since the death of my father two years ago, starting on the Olanzapine only recently. Although I'm scared at the prospect of not taking them I feel I'm in no better position by doing so. I really gave up after his death, I also around that time came close to being in a relationship, what would have been my first if it had worked out. That really made me lose all hope.

Foolishly I've ran out of Venlafaxine during the last few days and have had some difficult moments as a result (very anxious, sweating, being unusually emotional) but I've also had some moments of feeling a bit better. Now I'm wondering if I should try without the meds for a while to find out if Im benefiting from them at all. I dont really feel as though I am.

I have had counselling and CBT over the years and have just been referred again for CBT but can't see it making a difference. I hope what Ive written makes sense and I really appreciate your replys.

KK77
02-01-11, 15:16
I'm sorry to hear of your loss Sonny. Life can be like that but you never know what's round the corner in terms of relationships and settling down, so please don't lose hope in that respect.

Venlafaxine is not a med to run out of! The slow-release one is better but it's a short half-life med and my friend whose on it has had a few close encounters with running out and it wasn't apparently pleasant...

Have a chat with your doc before you decide to stop any meds. Once the venlafaxine is back to normal levels you'll probably feel a lot more positive as I can see you're very down at the moment.

There are some excellent articles here (on the left-hand side of the page) and I would recommend reading some of Paul McKenna's self-help books - they have helped me immensely. There are a selection of other self-help books in the NMP shop that Nicola sells, so have a look there too.

It will get easier Sonny so keep your chin up mate.

sonnyred7
02-01-11, 17:54
Thanks, I'll do my best. So does recurrent depression mean it comes and goes?

Vanilla Sky
02-01-11, 21:07
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Veronica H
02-01-11, 21:23
:welcome:to NMP and Happy New Year Sonnyred7.

Veronicax