PDA

View Full Version : Am I just being paranoid?

BunnyMazonas
02-01-11, 13:49
Since moving to this town a few years ago, I built up a friendship with a small group of girls - we all sort of fell together over time until there were C, J, G, E, A and me. Both J and G have had mental health issues themselves (depression/anxiety for one and depression for the other), and C has a sister with post-partum depression, so there was generally a pretty decent level of understanding between us about these sort of issues.

Regardless though, I've made a point to try not to bog things down with talk of how bad things are for me. G tends to turn any conversation into a pity party and it tend to annoy everyone else, so I make an effort to avoid talkign about issues unless asked, and even then not to go overboard with it.

My friends had, for the most part, been supportive. But early in 2010 it all started to get a bit weird. My mental health had taken a turn for the worse and I'd started on meds. In all honesty, I wasn't taking care of myself. My friends helped me to keep some perspective by letting me know if they noticed things slipping too far, although they overstepped the boundaries of privacy a couple of times with well intentioned but slightly intrusive attempts to "fix" my home.

Thing is though, over the last few months it seems as though they've decided they want nothing further to do with me. I might be being paranoid but...

* J and G habitually met me every day in the canteen for lunch, as we all had our lunchbreaks at the same time. They now either take their breaks at different times to me or go into town instead. A couple of times they were in the canteen at the same time as me and did not sit with me or say hello.
* C lives near me and finishes work at the same time as me. Usually if I was waiting for the bus when she got out she'd offer me a lift. She stopped doing that.
* A and E do not work at the same place we do, although they used to. Company staff were given a special discount night at a local high street shop. I went there on my own and discovered that J, G and C had contacted A and E to let them know and they had all arranged to meet up. They didn't tell me about it.
* E is getting married next year. Despite being too busy with work for many social events, the other girls all seem to know all about the dresses, bridesmaid stuff, theme and other news. They've all received invitations (except the 2 who are being bridesmaids). I have not.
* I contacted them all in the weeks leading up to Crimbo and asked if any of them wanted to go for a pre-Crimbo lunch - there was a cafe offering a really cheap, cute little theme close to where we all live. They all claimed to have no money or no time. None of them suggested any other opportunities for me to meet up.
* They have since posted pictures on their FB pages of an expensive and exciting "Snow Ball" held locally, which they all attended together. They had not told me about it previously.

Am I just being paranoid, or have I been chucked out of the group here?

Quiet-Lift
02-01-11, 19:21
Hello Bunny

It doesn't sound as though you are being paranoid. It's possible that the group may be rejecting you because of the difficulties you outlined in your third paragraph and also because of the boundaries you had to enforce when they became too intrusive for you.

I've had the experience of being treated like a leper because friends can't handle my low moods. It seems to be a sad but common feature of our society.

You may not have been 'chucked out of the group'. Perhaps you could try approaching J or G. With their own experiences of depression and anxiety, they may be able to empathise with how you are feeling.

I know this may not be easy to do, but perhaps you could tell either or both of them about your suspicions. A little 'reality testing' may help to make things clearer for you.

If these friends are important for you then I hope you don't lose their support completely.

Hope this may help