PDA

View Full Version : Hi - my essay!

katieg
24-03-06, 12:16
Hi everyone, my name is Katie

I have suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for about 3 years. At first I had no idea what was wrong with me and for the 18 months I went back and forth from the doctors with various symptoms (my sister got multiple blood clots in her legs and lungs but came through and I have suffered with anxiety increasing getting worse ever since). I have had every check going and I am fit and healthy 24 year old woman. In total I have had a CAT Scan, MRI scan on my brain, seen a cardiologist, been to the breast clinic, to the doctors sometime up to 3 times a week……..it was only really 12 months ago they said it was panic attacks. No wonder I am worse as I have been led to believe for a good 2 years that something was wrong, now I am trying to get my head round all this. I have now been referred to ENT at the hospital as the fullness in my head (which I have had for 3 years) could be to do with my ears not muscle tension!!!! I am so mad and angry with this condition.

Up until all this happened I travelled with my job and even went on a cruise on my own at 21 years old for 2 weeks. Now I can’t even get in a car and get to Manchester. I suffered from hyperventilation with my panic attacks and have what my doctor calls cardio pedal spasm (I have had this 3 times and it starts with pins and needles and then its like I become paralysed -the first one I had I had no 'brown bag' and my hands and feet twisted up and I had jaw lock and I looked like I was having a stroke - has anyone else suffered from this??? - second time I used the brown bag and it went away and I did not get to that stage but since I have had it again and its like my body turns to ice and I cant control it, when I breathe in the bag it subsides). This mainly happens when I travel in someone else’s car further than 10 miles, I panic and need to go back home! I know I can get through them its just seems when it happens it knocks me back and I get down as I think they have gone and in fact they are stronger than ever.

Sorry I know this is like an essay but I have been looking at these forums for months thinking should I post how I am feeling.

My doctor tried me with diazepam and said to take it when necessary over the year I became more and more dependent on it and now don’t take it as much but have had to take this on the first 2 weeks of taking citilopram.

I found I am suffering with this so much to the point where I can not cope. I have a very supportive doctor and I have been on anxiety management course and even invested in a product called the Linden Method - only to my disappointment that I have already tried most methods and stuck to them religiously. I have a constant feeling of fullness in my head which I believe triggers my panic attacks as I feel extremely light headed and like someone is pushing my head around. I feel like I am going mad and have disturbing thoughts even about killing myself on occasions. I have a string family and have been picking myself up bit by bit! I so want to enjoy my life and plan holidays and trips away. I will be getting the opportunity to travel with my job but I feel I can not do this.

I went to my doctors 3 and half weeks ago, I ended up seeing another doctor as my doctor was on holiday. He gave my Citilopram (20mg dose). I have to say the first 2 days I felt high and was hysterical with laughter (I have to say this was great!). then after 4 days I started with increased anxiety and panic. Up until taking the tablets it was there form the minute I woke up (the dread feeling in your stomach) and would rear its ugly head more and more frequently throughout the day and this would exhaust me!!!. Thsi was there even more so and frightened me and I also suffered with all I can describe is muscle cramps - I feel like I want to cramp all down my right side (has onyl else had this???!!! I have been to my docs and he does not seem worried by this). I felt extremely anxious and then for a few days I felt fine. This week (nearly done my first packet) I feel shocking and I want to come of

katieg
24-03-06, 13:15
I feel good that I have posted now but panicking I have been to open. I thought it would be best to put on there whats happened to me, but want reassure that I do not feel sorry for myself and really fight things. I also want to be supportive to others regardless of how I feel. I have felt for so ling that this is a weakness where one perosn who I recently met stated the fact that I was continuing on was a strength not a weakness and I keep this thought with me as much as I can.

Good luck and the best of wishes to everyone.

K

katieg
24-03-06, 14:30
Thanks so much Lucy! This has made me feel much better. I thought no one was going to reply and I would freak people out by being to honest.

I am a fighter sometimes I just get distressed with it all and think why is this stupid thing affecting me and other people. I feel for anyone who goes through this and hope one day I recover to help other people.

I read Meg's story and admire her so much.

K

dizzielizzie
24-03-06, 14:56
Hi hun!

I've sent you a PM. Hope Ic an be of some help!

All the best, and keep smiling!

Lizzie

katieg
24-03-06, 15:21
hi lizzie

thanks so much, nothing has come through yet but will keep looking out for it

thanks

katie

Alexandra
24-03-06, 15:33
Hi Katie

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

sal
24-03-06, 16:29
Hi Katie

Firstly i am pleased you have found us and we will all help you through this.

I like yourself struggled on citlopram for the first 3 to 4 weeks but when i got through the side affects it helped me loads but can only say that now looking back to how bad i was. It takes time but has helped so many other people on here aswell.

You have taken the first step on the road to recovery by opening up and doing your post. It is hard and reading it yourself again will be hard but you have put down how you feel and will gain a lot of support from here. It isnt easy the first time you open up and put it all down in words but it will help. You have been through so much but never once have you given in, you have picked yourself up and through sheer determination got back on track against all the odds being stacked up against you. I admire how well you have coped and look forward to talking to you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

katieg
24-03-06, 16:49
thanks again, i can stress how grateful i am that people listen and have not judged me! i have just cried! how silly am i! sat at my desk trying to look normal! went to the health shop today and got some magnesium apparently this can help with muscle tension and anxiety...anyone tried this??? i actually feel a little more relaxed!! its been a big day today!

i am logging off soon but will be back on later

thanks everyone

k

sal
24-03-06, 16:55
Pleased you feel a little more relaxed today hun. We are all here to support you.

Take care.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Robertc160882
24-03-06, 17:00
This was my reply to Katie and this may give you all an insight to my story also as i have never spoke about it.

About me:

Well about me were do I start? when I was young I was also bullied at school again like you blossomed when I turned 16. I also had trouble as when I made friends they were never allowed at my house never allowed to stay etc. The reason this is of importance is because my Brother who is 2 years older than me was allowed those privileges.

As a teenager I was very hard work and went with a bad crowd (“outside of school”) and developed a habit of drink every weekend, drugs mainly hash etc. I also had an incident when I was around 14 were I got so drunk I feel asleep in the snow and nearly died. I also. This never settled down but I did cut ties with the bad crowd and met some good friends well so I thought. I continued to drink although under my mum and dads watchful eyes I also continued with the drugs side of things. That said I was allowed girls in etc now so what happened next I got a girl pregnant and she had an abortion behind me back I was devastated. This ripped me up inside because I really did love her she wasn’t my first love but I did feel lots for her and felt we had a connection. As a result of this I became a different person.

I guess it was only a matter of time before I moved on to harder drugs and when I was about 18 I tried my first E. I though this was brilliant and mixed drink hash and E as if it was no problem. I have very much a greedy personality and I felt I was invincible and I was taking anything up to 12 a night, which was not too good for my brain.

Although I do have happy memories from those days, I also have a lot of blurred memories like I meet girls in the town who clearly recognise me but I don’t remember them. I have been at more parties than I care to remember and I feel guilt for been with girls and not having the politeness to even remember them that is bad I know. If I was asked today I don’t feel I could give an accurate figure to how many girls I have been with this is due to the fact I don’t even remember. I’m sorry if this puts you off but I’m just trying to be open and as honest as I can be with you.

Well one night I was at a party and someone gave me two e’s a drop in the ocean to what I was used to taking but I had never had these ones. So I decided what the heck I was trying to stop them but I thought lets bang them down the hatch it will make the night better. That was Christmas Eve 1999 and it turned out to be the worst night of my life as the e’s were bad ones.

The turn of events after were very bad and this is when I started to experience my first panic attacks well the first one was when I was on E that night and I walked over 12 miles to get home I was that scared. On the Christmas day I remember waking up with intense fear nothing like I had ever experienced before I felt so alone and so scared.

I remember because it was a holiday I couldn’t see a doctor for days and the panic attacks and the depression was getting really bad. When I did get to see the doctor I got put on beta blockers and diazepam, this didn’t work for me and I gradually got worse I couldn’t even leave my bedroom. I remember my mum been so scared for me because she didn’t know what was happening and everyone just kept saying snap out of it, which wasn’t very easy. I finally got forced back to the doctors and they started me on Provac as you probably know it takes a while for them to go in your system and I was getting worse day by day so I tried to take my life but my mum found my out cold phoned and ambulance and I was admitted under the mental health act as I was a danger to myself not that I was a total nutter please don’t think that.

I finally signed myself out after 4 days of complete hell but the tablets were working a bit. I went back to my doctors going outside was still very hard but I made it he decided to refer me for counselling. I got an appointment with 2 days and I remember my first session like it was yesterday the women’s name was Pa

Karen
24-03-06, 17:32
Hi Katie

Welcome to the forum. It is very brave of you to write such an open post giving so much detail of your history.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

There are often settling in symptoms when first starting medication but these hopefully will settle if you can stick with it. Have your asked your doctor about some therapy to help you deal with these issues?

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

clickaway
24-03-06, 18:14
Welcome to the forum, Katie.

I'm glad that you opened up, as it is all part of your well deserved recovery.

You have certainly had an eventful and traumatic life. Now it's time to take stock and get better.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

sarah56
27-03-06, 16:06
hiya katie,
well firstly welcome to the forum and great admiration to you for being so open. secondly thanks after reading your post it made me think and i have couselling next week. you gave me the courage to open up on here for the first time in years.

we all are going through the same hunni and you will get lots of advice on here.

thank you again
sarah xx

s.walters

chucklehound
27-03-06, 17:02
Hi Katie and welcome to NMP:D

Take Care

Chucklehound

xxxx

april tones
27-03-06, 17:24
welcmoe katie! some things you have said are similar to me