PDA

View Full Version : Returning back to work and anxious!

Hayley1982
03-01-11, 09:39
This friday I am returning back to work after being off since April. This is my last chance, work have said if I'm off sick with anxiety again thay will say I'm incapable to do the job. As much as I'm looking forward to it I'm so scared of failing and my anxiety feels like it's got worse over the past week I'm waking up heaving and nearly being sick. I'm also full of a cold. I need some reassurance!

eternally optimistic
03-01-11, 09:49
Hi and morning

I really feel for you, known of us need added pressure of worrying about the future.
Try and see if you can focus on that your work will be pleased to see you back and more often than not, returning is not usually bad as we expect it to be.

You are probably worrying that with your cold you wont feel 100% fit and you have a few more days before you go.

Try and rest and I wish you lots and lots of luck.

Please try and relax.

I was off work, only for 5 weeks, about three years ago and I went back and was DREADING the reception but everyone was fab.

Bye for now, will be thinking of you.

dhb
03-01-11, 10:49
Hi,

Just read your post and felt the very same five years ago. Someone gave me the best advice. Don't put pressure on yourself, do one thing each day and be happy with that achievement. And I bet you are quiet good at your job too.

And guess what? If things don't work out at work it might just be the thing that pushes you on to bigger and better things.

Good Luck!
Daniela

JT69
03-01-11, 11:54
Hello,

Just wondered if you were going back to work on a phased return?? I returned to work last March after having 5 months off and started off on 3 hours a day...increasing each week until eventually full-time. It was the best way to get myself back. I would so reccommend it to you (unless you work part time).

You are bound to feel anxious...but you will be fine and you can do it....once you get there you will be o.k. and it will become easier.

I wish you well....let us know how you get on.

Jo.xx

blueangel
03-01-11, 12:17
I'm a trade union rep where I work and have to support people in this position quite often. You've had some good advice here - attempting a return is definitely the right thing to do, as unfortunately avoidance will only make it worse. A phased return is the way forward, so I hope your employers have sorted this out for you. Just take it on a day to day basis and you'll probably find it's nowhere near as bad as you're expecting.

Nigel
04-01-11, 15:19
Hi H,

Your recent posts show a lot of courage and a very determined effort to turn things around. This will be brand new start to a brand new year, and I believe you can do it :)

Friday is a good day to start back at work because it’s almost the weekend. A nice short week! As others have already said, just take it one day at a time. Forget about tomorrow, and next week, and just focus on getting through today. Then you can do the same the next day... and the next... and before you know it a week has past... then a month...

“As much as I'm looking forward to it I'm so scared of failing...”

Try to stay focussed on the ‘looking forward to it’ bit. You see, the mind seems to help us get more of the things we focus on, so thinking about failing is the worst thing to be thinking about. So try to replace any thoughts like that with more positive thoughts about succeeding, and doing well, and enjoying yourself, and your mind will try to make it so.

Best of luck Friday, I’ll be thinking of you :yesyes:
Nigel