PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from Australia

dhb
03-01-11, 10:00
Hello,

My name is Daniela. I would firstly like to thank everyone who posts on No More Panic and the creators of this website. It has been my help and support for a while now. I find the posts reassuring and so very helpful. Thanks.

I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for 5 years now and I have had it. I was always an anxious child but it was not until my early 20s that the panic attacks started. Those first years seemed so much easier than the present. I think knowing what I really have is difficult to accept; as the years pass by and the catastrophic illnesses that I believe I had have not eventuated is really difficult to accept.

My main fear is choking, food getting stuck in my throat, all types of throat sensations and over sensitivity, you name it, anything to do with my throat. I have had 4 years of therapy following a complete breakdown 5 years ago. I was unable to move from my house and bed for four solid weeks. I was frightened as could be.

My fears range from a childhood where I was exposed to verbal and physical abuse towards my parents. I was never harmed but the threat was very real and long lasting. The throat thing comes from my dad chocking in front of me when I was young. He survived. The doctor said he had asthma when in fact he had a growth in his throat that eventually blocked his windpipe one morning. (The start of me not trusting doctors). I also have Crohn's Disease which wasn't diagnosed until my bowel completely closed and I was rushed to the ER. I has surgery three days later to remove part of my bowel. again can't trust doctors. I was told I was constipated and to eat more pears. This was by a family doctor who had seen me from day dot.

So...when it came to my doctor telling me I had depression, anxiety and I was having panic attacks I wasn't quick to jump on board and believe her. I still struggle and make my anxiety worse by the fact I can't believe or accept this. My constant self-talk is something is wrong and the doctors can't find it.

Thank you to everyone on the sites your posts and comments have been the closest I have ever gotten to feeling like someone understands, someone is feeling the same as me. Thank you, thank you.

I look forward to many chats!

Daniela

diane07
03-01-11, 10:04
Hi dhb

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

blue moon
03-01-11, 21:08
Hello Daniela
Welcome and a big hello from wet and flooded Queensland.
Love Petra x:flowers:

Vanilla Sky
03-01-11, 21:10
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x