PDA

View Full Version : Newly Joined today Citalopram ??

Blue Order 1972
03-01-11, 15:43
Hello I'm from the UK and been suffering with anxiety symptoms for 2 years now and having reached the point where all coping strategies and other methods (linden for example) I have been prescribed 20mg of Citalopram.

I am really worried about taking meds and yesterday had a choking episode which has left me scared stiff of side effects that I expect to have from Citalopram.

Any advice please ???!

nomorepanic
03-01-11, 15:48
Hi Blue Order 1972

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

paula lynne
03-01-11, 16:52
Hi Blue Order, welcome aboard. Use the search facility...type in citalopram and youll get loads of results. Many members have recently started cit, some have been on it for ages here, Im sure your paths will cross soon and youll be able to get advice and support. :welcome:

Blue Order 1972
03-01-11, 16:55
Thanks for the advice Paula Lynne

I've already had a better day by joining and look forward to feeling better !!

x

paula lynne
03-01-11, 16:58
Great stuff! :yesyes:

rosaleen
03-01-11, 17:15
Hiya, i've just joined this site aswell :)
I've been on Citalopram 20mg tablets for about 6 months now and had really bad side effects when i first started taking them which lasted for nearly 2 weeks, after that tho the side effects went and i have to admit that citalopram has been a big help to me. It was the first time i have ever taken something to help me and i was worried about going on meds just like you but i'm really glad i did..

Blue Order 1972
03-01-11, 17:22
Hiya Rosaleen - the two week thing seems to be very common and I am still worried about starting the meds as a result.

That said, I probably have all the side effects already so any more can't ne any worse ?!

What were the effects you had and can you exercise normally and have the odd drink with Cit (as both are a large part of my life) or is the alcohol thing a huge NO !?

rosaleen
03-01-11, 21:04
Hiya again.. Well not long after i took my very first tablet I needed to lie down, just came over all tired and if i didn't sit down i would have fallen down. Worst side effects i got was the tiredness, lack of energy, feeling sick (sometimes all day and night for 2 weeks) not being able to sleep, tho that was a problem for me anyway i just felt wide awake you know and at times a little hyper. Tried changing the times i took the tablets to see if that helps with the sleep thing as i read somewhere that it can sometimes but found that it didn't make much difference for me. I do drink, not heavily mind and i know your not meant to but i really can't say no to a glass of wine! lol :)
At the end of the day everyone is different, i have a friend who took citalopram and she had no side effects i guess i was just unlucky to get several.
If when you start you get side effects try to stick it out becuase it does stop after a bit even if you feel at times that the tablets are making you feel worse then how you were before you started taking them.
I wanted to give up on them after a just a few days but stuck it out and i'm glad i did.. :)

Blue Order 1972
04-01-11, 09:08
Hello again

Just read the excellent post by physco poet and he mentions Inositol

Anyone had any experience of this and is it also worth a try ??