PDA

View Full Version : Email notification of PM's

lizzie29
03-01-11, 20:20
I've just recently set this up, but I'm not receiving emails. I've checked my spam and they've not gone in there either. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Stav_98
03-01-11, 20:25
I know this may sounds uber stupid but have you checked the email address is correct in your profile?

nomorepanic
03-01-11, 21:03
Your email address looks wrong to me Lizzie

Rous
03-01-11, 22:56
I've noticed that the email messages of PMs sent to my Live account are now being put in to the Junk folder, for some reason (now) they are being picked up by their spam filter.

Before, the mail was send to my inbox, as a safe sender, but flagged as suspect by their 'smartscreen' filter.

I queried this and was told that it may be because of the 'Do not reply' bit as well as the link in the message, but this new state of messages being put in to the junk folder instead of my inbox is something I don't understand as happening.

I've added individually the (3) email addresses associated with the PM mails to my safe sender's list so now I hope these notifications will be in my inbox instead of being put in to the Junk folder.

This placing of these messages to my Junk folder has only recently happened since the new year, it may be worth checking these filters associated with our own email accounts, some of these filters do not even allow 'spam' mails to even appear in a spam or junk folder, I mind Yahoo used to block outright some spam mails altogether.

Lizzie, it may be worth checking these settings associated with your email account, you could do what I did & add the 3 email addresses associated with the notifications to a safe sender's list.

Let us know how ye get on.

nomorepanic
03-01-11, 23:00
Ok I have since checked and your email address could be ok after all.

I will send you an email and see if you get it.

lizzie29
03-01-11, 23:14
Got your email thanks Nic.

Thanks for the advice Rousel - will have to check my email settings and see if there's some sort of list of blocked sites. Will let you know if I have any luck!

nomorepanic
03-01-11, 23:22
ok well that was sent from my BT account so doesn't prove much but I wanted to make sure that you got an email that wasn't blocked.

lizzie29
04-01-11, 16:50
Today I randomly got an email about a pm... but it was a pm that was sent a few days ago! I'e had pm's since then but no email for them!
So, it's obviously not my account blocking them, but they seem to be getting lost somewhere in cyberspace!
The mail came to my inbox rather than spam, so definitely nothing to do with that. I checked my settings anyway and they're medium, with nothing blocked.
I'm at a total loss now... any ideas anyone?!

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 17:05
Have you got the email still - if so can you forward it to me at nomorepanic@btinternet.com

Ta.

suzy-sue
04-01-11, 17:07
Same s been happening to me still Nic ...:D

lizzie29
04-01-11, 17:34
Have just forwarded it Nic. Thanks.

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 19:24
We can't think of anything at the moment other than your mail servers are debating whether it is a genuine email or spam and so it is delaying the delivery.

Mine happen instantly so we know that the mail server from our end is actually sending the emails but your email providers are not instantly accepting it.

lizzie29
04-01-11, 19:26
Oh right, guess there's nothing we can do then!

Thanks anyway for the help.

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 19:31
I am still looking at it Lizzie - so watch this space lol

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 19:41
When I receive an email I can add that person to a contact list - do you know if you can do that when you get the email?

I found this page as well:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4614939_check-why-email-was-delayed.html

It talks about gmail but the principles are the same.

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 19:42
Ahh just found out that the email provider you use Lizzie is actually AOL the same as Sue so it sounds like good old AOL again lol.

They are notorious for problems with things like this and even using this forum.

Do you have another email address you can try temporarily to prove this?

lizzie29
04-01-11, 20:28
Yes, I have another account. Shall I change my address on here, then pm you the new email address?

nomorepanic
04-01-11, 21:03
All you need to do is change the email address in your profile on here and see if you get notifications when you next get a PM

Cheers

Rous
04-01-11, 21:53
I sorted out my PM mails going in to the Junk folder instead of to the inbox (since New year's day thx to MS's smartscreen filter being tightened by them) by adding the 3 email addresses associated with the PM mails to my Mail Contacts, thus bypassing the filter altogether.

I already had had 2 of them in my contacts but it was adding the 3rd that finally fixed the problem for me.

Doing this may help any one else having the PM mails being 'Junked' by their mail provider's filters.

Take care & be safe all. :)

nomorepanic
06-01-11, 19:55
Sue

Your emails are being bounced back:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at alexjg.co.uk.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<email address removed to protect Sue lol>:
Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

I will see if I can find out what that is about.

nomorepanic
06-01-11, 20:01
Rousel - thanks for all your suggestions as well. We will get there in the end lol

KK77
19-01-11, 11:33
I haven't been receiving email notifications of PMs recently. I thought at first it was my Blackberry playing up but I've been receiving other emails OK. Every time I log on to the site I have unread PMs. This has been happening for a few weeks now. Never had problems before and haven't changed my hotmail account either. Weird.

nomorepanic
19-01-11, 18:19
Mel

Did this start happening around the 4th Jan do you know?

KK77
19-01-11, 18:45
Hmmmn, could be Nic. I checked the junk folder and there were a couple there but I have about 10 missing notifications lost in cyberspace!

Why, what happened on that date?

nomorepanic
19-01-11, 18:56
If you look at an old email notification it appeared to come from BB (Lisa) so I think you would have her in your address book or some trusted list maybe.

Now the emails will come from admin@nomorepanic.co.uk

I am wondering if that is not seen as a trusted email address.

Just a thought anyway

KK77
19-01-11, 19:01
Ah OK - will add that address to my contacts and see if that clears up the matter as you could be right... Trust BB to be the culprit lol.

Thanks DL.

nomorepanic
19-01-11, 19:53
I think it was cos BB was in the "contact us" email list first so I swapped it round lol