PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and happy to be here.

tigerlove
03-01-11, 22:23
Hi, I started having severe panic attacks and anxiety 3 years ago . I was prescribed 20mg Citalpram (and 2mg Diazapam to take only when having an attack)

So after 3 years on them, and with feeling much better and very rarely a panic attack, I was beginning to think I could see my doctor about coming off my medication.

Then dísaster struck, all of a sudden out of the blue, I began to feel I was right back where I started 3 years ago. The massive panic attacks came back , the anxiety, just when I thought I would never have to experience it again. So instead of going to the doctor to be taken off them, I am now on 40mg citalpram. I cant beleive it !!!!

diane07
03-01-11, 22:25
Hi tigerlove

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

eternally optimistic
03-01-11, 22:39
Hi tigerlove

sorry to hear you are disappointed with your situation.

although you have upped your meds, you should reflect that you have had three good years.

you will be back where you want to be, before you know.

glad you found the site.

take care.

Captain Caveman
03-01-11, 22:58
Hi tigerlove. Apart from being put on medication, were you taught how to deal with your panic attacks?

Coming off medication can indeed make you feel nervous/scared etc.. coz you were dependant on them. But if you can try your best to experience as much discomfort as you can, you will gradually build up confidence and not need to be taking medication.

tigerlove
03-01-11, 23:21
Hi tigerlove

sorry to hear you are disappointed with your situation.

although you have upped your meds, you should reflect that you have had three good years.

you will be back where you want to be, before you know.

glad you found the site.

take care.

Hi Captain,thanks for the reply. Yes I self taught myself how to deal with a panic attack, mine would last up to an hour of sheer hell., full blown with all the usual symptoms. But I done a lot of research, breathing techniques, took up yoga, and all this helped me to feel much better, hence the reason I thought I wouldnt need to take medication anymore. Which is why i cannot understand why they have came back. I was down to having just one attack every 6 months, now I have had 4 in 2 weeks with constant anxiety in between. At the beginning I was having attacks nearly every day, and i was so happy that i had virtually got rid of them and now this. But if I can beat it once, I can do it again !!!

Captain Caveman
03-01-11, 23:44
Indeed you can beat it!

I thought I wouldnt need to take medication anymore. Which is why i cannot understand why they have came back.

To be honest, I actually am not that surprised they have come back. My way of looking at it is that everytime you were taking a tablet, you were sending the message that you couldn't deal with panic/anxiety. Each time you put a tablet in your mouth, you re-enforced this message. So now you need to re-train your brain that you can cope with the distressing symptoms. And this you can do!:yesyes: