PDA

View Full Version : I read this and it makes perfect sense regarding my fear of panic attacks

Thistooshallpass
03-01-11, 22:31
From the Panicend.com website:

' Fear is created by your nervous system which is an automated bodily response. Trying to gain control over fear creates tension and more desire for conscious control. When we stop trying to control our fear, which includes worrying and fretting over it, we don't lose anything...sanity or consciousness or identity. We don't even get amnesia. There is no control to lose. But in reality the "old" feelings, the old "YOU" before panic attacks began, was a state of mind of NOT trying to control your fear because you didn't feel the overwhelming fear that a panic attack brings. The point is that fear is a natural response to what you are informing your nervous system about. It reacts automatically. And you can't do a thing about it except let it happen. Or medicate it away.'

When I think about before I had a massive panic attack 2 years ago, I did not fear a panic attack because I didn't know there was such a powerful feeling of fear to be scared of. When I walk around on my own especially I worry alot about panic symptoms which hence brings them on. I walk around uptight and really want that feeling to go away. Thing is, thinking I want it away or panicking/controlling it makes it worse-so I am going to try the let it happen approach as much as I can. I feel I need to constantly control a panic attack happening when in reality I probably won't have one. My brain has got caught in this way of thinking for a while. I just want to get to the point when I don't worry about having a panic attack in public or when I am alone. Suppose that will come with time and confidence in myself :yahoo:

Captain Caveman
03-01-11, 22:51
I just want to get to the point when I don't worry about having a panic attack in public or when I am alone. Suppose that will come with time and confidence in myself :yahoo: Hey that's great that you are going to start to re-train your brain with this new mentality. Letting go is scary as can be. But it's the way out of the constant panic cycle. As you say though, it will take time. It will be a 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of deal. Setbacks are all part of the process. I used to read how therapists would say they enjoy seeing patients encounter setbacks. I was like "what the?" But over time you realise it's the setbacks that teach you things. They help you to propel you to the next level.

Keep it up:)

_Emma
04-01-11, 00:55
From the Panicend.com website:

' Fear is created by your nervous system which is an automated bodily response. Trying to gain control over fear creates tension and more desire for conscious control. When we stop trying to control our fear, which includes worrying and fretting over it, we don't lose anything...sanity or consciousness or identity. We don't even get amnesia. There is no control to lose. But in reality the "old" feelings, the old "YOU" before panic attacks began, was a state of mind of NOT trying to control your fear because you didn't feel the overwhelming fear that a panic attack brings. The point is that fear is a natural response to what you are informing your nervous system about. It reacts automatically. And you can't do a thing about it except let it happen. Or medicate it away.'

When I think about before I had a massive panic attack 2 years ago, I did not fear a panic attack because I didn't know there was such a powerful feeling of fear to be scared of. When I walk around on my own especially I worry alot about panic symptoms which hence brings them on. I walk around uptight and really want that feeling to go away. Thing is, thinking I want it away or panicking/controlling it makes it worse-so I am going to try the let it happen approach as much as I can. I feel I need to constantly control a panic attack happening when in reality I probably won't have one. My brain has got caught in this way of thinking for a while. I just want to get to the point when I don't worry about having a panic attack in public or when I am alone. Suppose that will come with time and confidence in myself :yahoo:

That article is so true, and makes so much sense, but it's difficult to really make ur brain believe it, if u know what I mean?! I am exactly the same as u, I long for the day I can stay home by myself or go out in public without fearing an attack. My therapist says I have all the skills to do it, and that all I need is confidence, and to believe in myself. Fear is a horrible thing :(

suzy-sue
04-01-11, 09:08
:spam::nonono:

Mazzmate
04-01-11, 12:16
I just love reading messages like this one, they are so inspiring and give me comfort and hope when I feel overtaken and afraid. Thank you:)

Thistooshallpass
06-01-11, 18:21
:spam::nonono:

What do you mean by this? It isn't spam

Thistooshallpass
06-01-11, 18:27
It does make perfect sense Emma I know-it's just so hard because the feeling of fear naturally makes you fearful! Arghhhhh :lac:I can see that my need to be in control all the time is making my anxiety worse-the more I try to control panic feelings or worry about them the more my body believes that anxiety is dangerous to me and continues to so it. Suppose my core belief in public if I panicked would be people laughing at me or thinking I was wierd for example on a train or on my own. It's weird to think the only way to cure it is not to care about the possibility of having a panic attack but it's so hard when it feels so strange and feels like it is threatening your sanity

ladybird64
06-01-11, 18:29
What do you mean by this? It isn't spam

It wasn't directed at you :)

If you look further up the page you will see that someone had put a spam post here and it has been deleted by admin.
In fact the charming person flooded the forum with their rubbish. :mad: