PDA

View Full Version : nervous about exercise

Tonyob
04-01-11, 23:35
Hello all, i really want to start exercising again but I'm worried about how my body will react, I don't want to bring on a panic attack, I have not exercised since I had my first panic attack. I used to do boxing so I loved to train and thought it may help with my anxiety, I'm just scared I guess. Any advice? :shrug:

_Emma
04-01-11, 23:40
Exercise can actually be really good for u, as it can help take ur mind off ur thoughts. I would start with some gentle exercise before working up to more strenious (sp?) stuff. I go a walk round my estate twice a day and I now really enjoy it. Felt anxious at first as I was away from my "safe place", my house, but now I like the freedom of it. I just stick my iPod in and away I go! If u do feel anxious at first, don't give up, as eventually u won't feel as bad. I would do whatever exercise u feel is right for u, put on some upbeat music, and go for it. Ur breathing will become faster and ur heart will rate, but remind urself that this is what is supposed 2 happen during exercise, and it has nothing 2 do with panic.

Enjoy :)

looking4answers
05-01-11, 00:16
I think that you have to retrain your mind to know that fast heartbeat is good heartbeat.. if that is what is causing you anxiety..I have a cousin that has been in a major depression for several years.. Would not do anything but sit in a chair and sleep all day and evening. Stopped eating and was literally dying I think, He looked like it.. and I thought he would die..He was taken to a hospital to get him off drugs.. a scrip that he had abused for two weeks.While there. something happened..Im not sure what but I haven't seen him look so good in so many years..

He embraces exercise and pushes himself to the limit now.. I don't know what the heck they told him but it makes a difference. He eats like there is no tomorrow and goes and goes and goes..He has rosy cheeks again and is so healthy. I have asked him several times what they did and said there to make a difference.. he doesn't know.. but I know that he has had two major heart surgeries in his life and still he gets out and exercises and pushes himself.. and is so healthy..its unbelievable. He used to worry if his heart rate got in the 70's because its always in the 50's now he doesn't care and he is more healthy than I have ever seen him. .Anyway just food for thought. .Michael

belgarion
05-01-11, 12:02
Go back to doing what you enjoyed! It will help in the long run. Just build yourself up so your body and mind can adjust.

Geoff2301
05-01-11, 12:11
Definitely go for the exercise.......... I find it helps me enormously and try and do an hours hard cycling every day........ if I start getting lazy and stop doing it, the anxiety seems to return....... really weird!!

Groundhog
05-01-11, 12:57
I’m a great advocate of exercise and always have been. I have just turned fifty three and have always exercised/done sport and I ‘encourage’ my children to do a sport (martial art) even though if left to their own devices they would rather sit in front of the computer/tele/game machine.

In my youth I was quite an accomplished rugby player and then due to injury took up fencing which I did at international level. I have always done gym work mostly cardio vascular and I swim and cycle.

I do not have permanent anxiety mine comes in blips generally small ones with the occasional large one. One of the recommendations from my psychologist was to walk away from minor blips and do something else preferably energetic. I was able to put this into practice on New Year’s Eve when we were preparing the house for my daughter to have some friends over for the night and could feel myself getting anxious so I dropped what i was doing and went to the gym for an hour, came home had a shower – change of clothes and I was fine again.:yesyes:

The other major plus point is having more energy. It is easy to overlook this until for instance at school other teachers of my age lumber about puffing and wheezing, taking the lift or ambling up stairs between lessons where-as, in their words, I leap about like a spring lamb.

Any decent gym will have specially trained staff that will come up with an exercise package to suit your particular disposition and often a GP will refer you to a gym free of charge because the NHS are well aware of the benefits. Go for it :)

Tonyob
05-01-11, 17:53
Hi gang,
I would just like to say thank you to the lovely people who posted a reply, I feel much more determined to do some exercise now, in fact I'm going to start this evening!
Really appreciate the reassurance, :yesyes:

sarah_85
05-01-11, 18:34
i was the same, after i started suffering with panic attacks and anxiety he thought of exercise filled me with dread! all i wanted was for my pulse to stop racing and the thought of purposely trying to do it with exercise horrified me!! however, once i tried it, it did me the world of good. it helps to burn uo excess adrenaline and i havent had a panic attack for months now. also, it helps me reassure myself. if im ever worried im going to have a heart attack, i just tell myself, surely if i was gonna have one or if my heart was in bad condition, it wouldnt have been able to do that bit of exercise or i would have had one when i was pushing my heart, this helps give me reassurance!
so go for it :) xx

Dsaundo2010
05-01-11, 18:56
Hey,

I was the same I'v only started exercising this week after stopping since may with panic/anxiety it has actually helped me as i am now back in the routine of the going the gym etc, meaning my mind is always busy on other things and not on panic/anxiety. Go for it you will feel allot better.:yesyes: