PDA

View Full Version : breathlessness

cookie10
05-01-11, 14:49
Hello. Does anyone suffer from breathlessness when they get up to do anything.... not even anything that strenuous ??? Is this a classic anxiety sympton. I've had it on and off for a few weeks now, some days worse than others. I don't seem to have any trouble with breathlessness when I am doing exercise ie. running on spot for ten minutes or light aerobic exercise..strange? Does anyone know what causes this ? Thanks

AllInMyHead
05-01-11, 15:35
I haven't had a problem with breathlessness, but it does really sound like an anxiety symptom, especially if you are fine when doing exercise. I would say if there was a problem with your breathing in general, you'd feel much worse if you exercised.

Do you feel panicked and more breathless when it happens? If so, try cupping your hands gently over your mouth and nose and concentrating on taking deep breathes. It's kind of like breathing into a paper bag. If you are panicking and breathing weirdly the oxygen levels get a bit out of whack which makes you feel kind of light headed and even more panicky. Breathing into your hands (or a paper bag) helps you sort out the oxygen levels, and also gives you something else to focus on.

Good luck and hope this helps.

cookie10
05-01-11, 15:49
Thanks for the reply, I'd say it's more like a feeling of needing to take a deep breath fully rather than breathlessness, sorry didn't explain myself very well.

s11fyx
05-01-11, 15:54
it sounds like anixety i hold my self really tense so that makes me feel out of breath and likei need to take a deep breath do you practice breathing excercse? i do them every morning and night and its really helping x

june
05-01-11, 16:00
:hugs:when you are anxious (conciously or subconsiously) every muscle tightens up - shoulders and chest etc - therefore restricting how much breath you can take in.
I think we all suffer this from time to time - good info in "symptoms" left of page 0r brilliant book by Dinah bradley.
Best wishes
June
:hugs:

Blue Order 1972
05-01-11, 16:36
\this is my main anxiety symptom and i suffer wuth it every day I sort of make rattling sound when I breathe in which seems to happen when I breathe in and out of my mouth and nose at the same time. Breathing exercises help a little although breathing in through the nose is not 'natural' to me as I've probably gotten into such a bad breathing habit.

I'm also ok when exercising and up until a major panic attack on 2nd Jan I was running for 40 mins approx every day without any problems - until I stopped running which must mean I click back into anxiety mode and bad breathing !!

Just taken down xmas decorations and was ok whilst doing it - laid out now breathless on laptop doing this post !!

springblossom
05-01-11, 16:51
I recommend Patrick McKeown's books.

Fly away Katie
05-01-11, 19:59
I get breathless just from going up the stairs. I wouldnt worry about it x x x