PDA

View Full Version : Sour taste in mouth

lauren6
05-01-11, 21:37
Has anyone had this? It comes and goes for the past few weeks. The dentist found nothing wrong and I don't have diabetes. I am constantly using mints and am really getting scared. It tastes like after you've chewed chewing gum and the taste wears off, really sour. I can't tell where it's stemming from but it's on one side. For some reason, the inside of my cheeks are rough, probably clenching at night and maybe this is where it's coming from. Has anyone had this and did it go away?

judipat
05-01-11, 21:42
Are you suffering indigestion/heartburn etc. If so, I would say it is probably acid reflux. I take medication for GERD but still get a sour taste sometimes.

lauren6
05-01-11, 22:02
Hi Judipat, I do have reflux and take Dexilant. Could you tell me which med you take? The funny thing is that I have had no reflux symptoms at all, no heartburn pain, my headboard is on a slant. How often do you get the sour taste and does it last all day? What helps take it away?

judipat
05-01-11, 22:09
I take omeprozol - I am actually going back to the docs tomorrow as I think I need to take more - I've been topping up with gavascon. I have been getting the sour taste quite often recently - I just suck mints or chew gum and if its really bad, keep swilling with mouthwash. Its not pleasant but not much else you can do.

lauren6
05-01-11, 22:28
Mints are bad for reflux because they relax the muscle that enables food to come back up )lower esophageal sphincter). So I try not to have too much but the taste is so bad, I don't know what else to do. Mine may not be from reflux though. Is yours worse right after you eat, even after you brush your teeth? I'm brushing now with baking soda...that seems to help for a little while.

judipat
05-01-11, 22:45
I actually use gum more than mints as they say gum is good if you have GERD - something to do with the saliva. I get it at all different times. Try not to worry - I'm sure it is probably something to do with your reflux which you would'nt necessarily feel if you are on medication.

lauren6
05-01-11, 22:55
Yes, they say it neutralizes the acid, more saliva. I am trying not to worry but am scared it could be an infected tooth leaking into my mouth that they can't see. Why is it just on one side where I taste it? Is your all over? I taste it on the bottom back, behind the last molar.

judipat
06-01-11, 00:05
Have you been to the dentist??

lauren6
06-01-11, 00:27
Yes, I mentioned that in my initial post.

Melonpony
19-05-17, 03:02
I had this for the past 10 days, finally went to the dentist bc I felt it was getting worse. Dentist found a lodged piece of popcorn kernel stuck in between two teeth that are very close together. The kernel was causing inflammation of the gums, which was causing blood - small small amount, but that was the taste.

Try flossing thoroughly, and looking for a lodged piece of food or nail if you bite yoyr nails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk