PDA

View Full Version : Belonephobia

Luthien
14-03-04, 22:43
I am new here and I wanted to know if Belonephobia is fear of needles, or is it just knives, and other sharp objects etc.
I'm not scared of knives and things, but I'm terrified of needles. As a result, I have really bad teeth and have to go get them sorted soon. :( They hurt, and they look awful, but I've tried and tried to get sedative tablets and I'm still not allowed because I'm under 16. Soon I'm going to have to get them done, because they hurt so much, and they get worse by the day. I just know if I get into the dentists and he tells me he's going to give mne the injection I'll just run out.

sarah
14-03-04, 23:00
Hiya Luthien

I dont know the answer to your question but I too am scared of injection, last time I went to the dentist (about a month ago) I told him I had panic and didnt want to sit in the chair so he gave me some antibiotics as I had an abcess ( dont know what I would do if I had to have work done.
A couple of people on here have fillings etc without the injection so they might post here.

Welcome to the site anyway.

love Sarah
xx

Luthien
14-03-04, 23:07
I would get my teeth done without anaesthetic, I did it once before for a filling but that was ages ago. The only problem is, I've got so many problems with them as a result of avoiding injections for so long. I'd guess I've got to get about four fillings done, and two teeth removed, and a cap put on the front one. Yeah, they really are that bad. :(

xx~Luthien~xx

sarah
14-03-04, 23:13
Oh no poor you, sounds painful.
Maybe the best thing to do is go see about them before they get worse?

love Sarah
xx

twister
15-03-04, 15:04
there are dentists that now do fillings with lasers no needles involved - more expensive though

Emily

Laurie28
15-03-04, 15:12
Aww aww awww!!

I don't like going to the dentist (but wouldn't say i was phobic . What I will say is the more you go the easier it is gets and i would imagine the same will apply to the needle

Lucky

nomorepanic
15-03-04, 17:33
I don't have the injection at the dentist cos it makes me panic. I would rather suffer the pain for 10 minutes than the numbness for about 4 hours.

I did have to have the injection last time I went cos I was having 2 fillings and they were hurting a lot. That was the first time in about 10 years. I obviously looked ill cos he kep asking me how I was.

I got home and cried my eyes out cos it freaked me out so I went swimming to take my mind off it - that helped.

Good luck - you must get them done if they need doing cos you are still young and the teeth have got to last you a long time yet.

Explain that you get panicky and see if he can help atall.

Can you take someone in with you?

Nicola

Luthien
15-03-04, 18:51
My mum will probably be with me. She's not as bad as me, but she still doesn't like needles. Someone suggested taking a CD player to take my mind off it. I know the more I think about it, the worse it gets, and I'll definitely have to have them done soon. It probably will get easier with each time so this is the hardest part. And as for dentists with lasers and things, I'll have to find out about that. I'm worried about having to have blood tests and things when I'm older. My mum has never made me get the vaccinations for meningitis or tuberculosis because the needles scare me more than the diseases! I'm just glad she understands, my friend's mum made her get it anyway and she was crying her eyes out. I think that made me even more scared!

xx~Luthien~xx

nomorepanic
15-03-04, 18:59
Luthien

Just don't look at the needle atall. When I have blood tests I just look away and talk about anything to take my mind off it.

As for injections for meningitis and tuberculosis then you really ought to have them done cos they may save your life one day.

Just keep looking away from the needle and you will be fine ok?

Nicola

Laurie28
16-03-04, 12:59
Hiya Luthien,

I'm with Nic on that one. You must try and get these injections. You will have 2 minutes with the needle and the implications of not getting the jabs are enormous.

lucky

Meg
16-03-04, 16:50
Some dentists now use hypnosis and the results are supposedly good, although I've not any personal experience .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stimpy
16-03-04, 22:16
I would definately have a word with your dentist.
They have many alternatives to needles.

I'm sure if you told them what your problems are they would be able to help you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

twister
16-03-04, 22:25
I quite like injections and needles - am I weird.

Do you just have a fear of needles and nothing else? If so this is a simple phobia and should be fairly easy to treat- can you get your doctor to refer you for therapy or maybe even hypnotherapy (not acupuncture though!)

It is important for you to have injections such as TB.......

Emily

stimpy
17-03-04, 10:13
I was always a huge chicken.
I would be given 30mg of injectable valium, just to get me in the chair for a filling.

Then when I was pregnant, the dentist said "sorry no valium, because of the baby."
And I went white as a sheet!
But since then I've had teeth pulled and filled and been awake throughout the whole thing.

Liz xxx

Luthien
17-03-04, 18:53
I've told my mum to make the appointment and literally force me to get it done. The first appointment's always a checkup anyway. Besides, I'm sick of getting teased about how horrible my teeth are -it's not like I haven't realised! I remember having injections at the dentist's when I was about eight and I didn't like then but I wasn't as bad as I am now. Thing is, I know injections aren't painful, it's the thought of it and I know its totally irrational. I never looked at the needle before so I'll just avoid it again this time and listen to my walkman too! In the meantime I'll find out about some other ways of getting my teeth done. Like the sedative tablets. Only something I might actually be allowed [V]

xx~Luthien~xx

Lottie32
18-03-04, 10:53
Luthien

I hate the dentist and refuse an injection everytime. So far, I haven't had any painful fillings - which makes me wonder why anaesthetics are necessary in the first place.

I'm not brave or hard (if you look back, there is a dentist post from me, when I had to have the last lot of treatment)

I totally cr**ped myself going for a two minute check up, and thought I was going to be sick!!!

I can say however, that after having to go four times in three months, by the end of it, I was pretty calm and in control (for a person who was freaking out inside)

My friends boyfriend avoided the dentist, until one day a dodgy tooth swelled his head up to the size of a beach ball and he couldn't ignore it any longer.

He booked an appointment at the dentist, then the swelling went down and he cancelled it.

Several weeks later, the same thing happened again - but worse, and he ended up in casualty cos he couldn't breathe!!!!

He had no choice but to go to the dentist. However, this time, he visited the doctor first, who gave him something to calm him down.

So long as you tell your dentist what you have been taking, he can work with it (for example, you would have a different type of anaesthetic if you had a beta-blocker before your appointment)

It may be worth discussing your concerns with your doctor.

And remember - the more you go (for check ups) the quicker they spot minor problems and repair them - and they don't become major dental work!!!!!

Good luck

I hope everything goes well for you

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Chris
20-03-04, 02:34
newbie alert...lol..hiya..

i hate needles with a passion...

could u not talk to your dentist about how bad it really is for you...and see if any other things can be done...theres nothing wrong with being scared of them..to be honest i think 90 percent of people u ask will say they arent very keen...

i had some done while back, it makes your heart flutter a bit, but its over in a minute...when u think , its a minute of your life...how many minutes have u spent thinkin about it

hows about askin if u can do the gas thing and have a little kip whilst he/she does them? do they still do that at dentists?

chris x

stimpy
20-03-04, 12:55
As far as I know they still do the gas thing at the dentist.
It has to be arranged in advance, and you must have someone with you at your appointment to make sure that you get home safely (as with the valium injection in the arm.)

No harm in asking tho' is there?

Liz xxx

Luthien
20-03-04, 21:48
Hmm, I'll check to see if they still do the gas then. Chris, you're right, it IS only a minute and I've spent so long dreading it! The more I think I'm scared of them, the worse they seem so I'm trying to make myself more confident now, hopefully that'll stop me jumping out of the chair and running halfway down the road. :D I've been thinking for years about how bad they are, and I've made my fear worse. I know its pointless worrying too, because it's not exactly the most painful thing in the world. It's the thought of it that makes me shudder

It'll take a bit of courage to get the jabs against TB etc etc! But I'll try. Maybe getting my teeth done will stop me worrying and I'll be able to go get them done.

xx~Luthien~xx

FEEL_SORRY_FOR_ME
15-02-06, 04:04
That prevoius story scared me!!
Maybe I shouldn't avoid the Dentist anymore...

I need lots of moral support!

FEEL_SORRY_FOR_ME
15-02-06, 04:06
That last reply scared me!
Maybe I shouldn't put of going to the Dentist anymore...

I need lots of moral support!

Ma Larkin
15-02-06, 14:08
Hi Luthien, I took my little boy to the dentists not so long ago. He had to have a tooth out, but before the dentist gave him an injection, he put some gel on his gums and he didn't feel a thing. The dentist called it "magic cream", don't know if this is a general term that dentists use or just because my little boy is only 5! I'm sure it must be widely used, especially where children are concerned.

hope this helps, Les

Luthien
17-02-06, 17:56
Hey, I didn't think anyone would reply after so long. But I actually did it! I've had two injections since I last posted on this thread, and I took all your advice - I realised it was worth it, I didn't look, I just forced myself to think of something else and it barely felt like anything at all. It certainly didn't hurt.

By the way, Lesley, I'm not sure if there is a real name for "magic cream" but the dentist did use some kind of gel the first time I had an injection. Luckily my first one was a filling on a tooth at the front of my mouth. The second one was further back, so I couldn't have the gel, but by that time I wasn't being so bad.
My teeth still aren't perfect, but they're better. And half of me is just glad I got it done to prove I can! :)

xx~Luthien~xx

nomorepanic
17-02-06, 19:30
Well done Luthien for those great achievements. Fab news that you coped with it.

Nicola

Karen
17-02-06, 20:15
That's great Luthien.

I think that 'magic gel' is just a local anaesthetic gel. I've had it in the past too. Some dentists seem to use it more than others.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

Luthien
22-02-06, 02:37
Thanks for all the support and congrats guys. :) It's hard to explain exactly how you stop yourself from fearing something but talking to other people in the same kind of situation is really helpful. I think the gel the dentist used is available in most places, I did have to ask them to use it though. I'm sure most dentists will offer it if they know you're uncomfortable or scared. Best thing you can do in this situation is tell your dentist exactly how you feel. I've never had a dentist who wasn't sympathetic about it. They must get nervous patients a lot.

xx~Luthien~xx